Are there any positives to the Halo 5 campaign?

PHIL0S0PHY

The story is good and is going a good direction but it could have been executed better.

The acting was good but I felt Buck and Tanaka needed to stop.

Level design was great. Good variety of areas and a good overall look to them

Well that is certainly different than how most people see the campaign, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Well... for me it was one of the worst campaigns I've played in a Halo game. I guess it was okay because they brought back hidden skulls, I enjoyed hunting those down again. The AI seems a tad bit smarter than in Halo 4.. so yay?

I take it Spartan Assaults campaign isn't on your "played" list?

The good things about Halo 5's campaigns in my opinion are the environments we visit and the members of each team. The return of Blue Team was an incredible shock when we first had the cover art revealed to us but this was ultimately disappointing because of what little focus the game actually had on them. 

The aforementioned environments however are probably the strongest aspect of the game. Sanghelios has probably been on many Halo fans' top destinations for a Halo game and I would say 343 did not disappoint in its design. Meridian was a gritty, almost completely abandoned colony since it was hit by the Covenant so long ago and you could feel the discomfort in the atmosphere when playing as Fireteam Osiris. Genesis was a beautiful Forerunner landscape that is exactly what you'd expect if you were to visit a planet hundreds of thousands of years old created by some of the most advanced beings the universe had ever known. 

The AI were not too dumb. Teammates, yea kind of, but the enemy not as much and that was fun. The overall gameplay was pretty fun during the game.

The story had truly suffered though... It's really a shame that they had the brilliant idea of AIs questioning their actualities and wanting rights instead of being regarded as disposable supercomputers being ruined by completely undoing the heavy emotion of Halo 4's conclusion and Cortana's overall sacrifice in general. It's a headbasher of a story. I think if they were to introduce a different AI as a threat that we may have seen a different reaction from people. Just a fatal flaw that they inserted Cortana in there.

• Like 1

The good things about Halo 5's campaigns in my opinion are the environments we visit and the members of each team. The return of Blue Team was an incredible shock when we first had the cover art revealed to us but this was ultimately disappointing because of what little focus the game actually had on them.

The aforementioned environments however are probably the strongest aspect of the game. Sanghelios has probably been on many Halo fans' top destinations for a Halo game and I would say 343 did not disappoint in its design. Meridian was a gritty, almost completely abandoned colony since it was hit by the Covenant so long ago and you could feel the discomfort in the atmosphere when playing as Fireteam Osiris. Genesis was a beautiful Forerunner landscape that is exactly what you'd expect if you were to visit a planet hundreds of thousands of years old created by some of the most advanced beings the universe had ever known.

The AI were not too dumb. Teammates, yea kind of, but the enemy not as much and that was fun. The overall gameplay was pretty fun during the game.

The story had truly suffered though... It's really a shame that they had the brilliant idea of AIs questioning their actualities and wanting rights instead of being regarded as disposable supercomputers being ruined by completely undoing the heavy emotion of Halo 4's conclusion and Cortana's overall sacrifice in general. It's a headbasher of a story. I think if they were to introduce a different AI as a threat that we may have seen a different reaction from people. Just a fatal flaw that they inserted Cortana in there.

I agree that the environments look great, but my only issue with the sanghelios was that it made the elites like native Americans instead of samurai Japanese. Halo 2 and 3 showed them as more having samurai style of culture and honor.

What would have been cook is have the swords of sanghelios use the samurai style and the enemies use the native American style.

My problem with blue team was that they didn't seem like characters at all in this, they were kinda like yes men, I have liked to somewhat question chief for going after cortsn, because she for all intents and purposes died. I know they have been through a lot, but that doesn't mean they can't question each other.

Fire team Osiris, none had any character to, it what they had a little foundation, but nothing built on it, like tanaka who likes sanghelio culture. And Bucks seems out of character to what he was in order, and he had a southern accent for some reason which he didn't have in odst.

They will is still not good to me, and the Prometheans were just still annoying to fight, for me at least.

I agree with you on the storytelling

• Like 1

Very little, the story and general gameplay was beyond awful. The only good thing was that the game looked good and the enviroments were cool looking. Thats it. And by enivoments I dont mean the art design or anything like that or level layout. No, there still awful. Overall excluding Spartan Strike and stuff like that this is the worst Halo campign ever, of all time.

• Like 1

Very little, the story and general gameplay was beyond awful. The only good thing was that the game looked good and the enviroments were cool looking. Thats it. And by enivoments I dont mean the art design or anything like that or level layout. No, there still awful. Overall excluding Spartan Strike and stuff like that this is the worst Halo campign ever, of all time.

I would accept this if you owned an Xbox One or Halo 5 at all. I don't understand how environments are cool looking but look awful.

As for layouts and art design, please elaborate.

I would accept this if you owned an Xbox One or Halo 5 at all. I don't understand how environments are cool looking but look awful.

As for layouts and art design, please elaborate.

I do own an Xbox One and Halo 5, well sort of. Its shared with a friend. I have played the Halo 5 campaign though and dabbled in multiplayer.

So what I mean by the game looked good but looked bad is this.

Graphically the game looked great. Obviously. Its the newest Halo game it has to be and anyone who disputes this doesn't know the what there on about. Its got the highest polygon count of any Halo game.   

But yet I've heard people argue that the Halo 3 Scorpion looks better than the Halo 5 Scorpion. But how could this be?

Its because Halo 3, well not be as good graphically as Halo 5 arguably has a better art design. I personally think Halo 3 has more realistic and gritty and Halo 5 more cartoony in how the world looks. And so I think Halo 3 looks better but it doesn't actually. If that makes sense.

Don't know if I've explained it but i'll wait for your response to find out I guess.

I do own an Xbox One and Halo 5, well sort of. Its shared with a friend. I have played the Halo 5 campaign though and dabbled in multiplayer.

So what I mean by the game looked good but looked bad is this.

Graphically the game looked great. Obviously. Its the newest Halo game it has to be and anyone who disputes this doesn't know the what there on about. Its got the highest polygon count of any Halo game.

But yet I've heard people argue that the Halo 3 Scorpion looks better than the Halo 5 Scorpion. But how could this be?

Its because Halo 3, well not be as good graphically as Halo 5 arguably has a better art design. I personally think Halo 3 has more realistic and gritty and Halo 5 more cartoony in how the world looks. And so I think Halo 3 looks better but it doesn't actually. If that makes sense.

Don't know if I've explained it but i'll wait for your response to find out I guess.

Yeah you explained it. I see what you mean by Halo 3 looking better but I doubt that style would work anymore. Think of that style with Spartans boosting around and Guardians etc.

It seems off and extremely odd but yeah they could have done a bit better with the art style.

Mechanically, the game is very solid. The weapon sandbox feels vibrant, diverse, and well-balanced, and the new Spartan abilities all slot into gameplay seamlessly and naturally. Visually, a lot of the campaign is very impressive, especially up close, and the background vistas are extremely pretty.

Plus, Knights are now actually really fun to fight and reward skilled play, since even on Legendary if you know what you're doing and have the aim to match you can kill one in as little as three shots from a Lightrifle - which is a big step up from being bullet sponges in 4!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I believe the positives far outweigh the negatives.  Here's a summary of some of the points that stand out in my memory.

Positives:

The visuals were stunning. 

The sound was good. 

The weapon balance was virtually perfect. 

Mobility was nearly perfect, better than I've had in any other game I've played. 

The story fits into the greater narrative of the Halo universe and introduce intriguing potential plot-twists.

BIG ONE: The campaign was complete and fully functional upon release.  343 knew they wouldn't have enough time to finish everything before Microsoft pushed the game to be released, so they made sure the core of the game was complete (including Campaign and basic Multiplayer), and afterwards they completed the other features and released them FOR FREE to everyone.  They handled this less than ideal situation as perfectly as it could have been handled by anyone.

Negatives:

It doesn't seem to have been a wise choice to have stories begin in one medium, run their course through a second, and then change again for their conclusion.  This seems to be the largest portion of the dissatisfaction in the execution of Halo 5's story.  Jul 'Mdama's story picked up in Halo 4's Spartan Ops, then ran it's course through a series of comics, and then culminated in a cutscene death after the first level of Halo 5, leaving fans (especially those who didn't read the comics) extremely unsatisfied.  The Janus Key likewise was begun along with Jul 'Mdama in Halo 4's Spartan Ops, but it concluded in the comics, so those who didn't read the comics thought that story arc was just dropped.  Most of the characters' backstories are in novels, and barely touched on in the game, so again, the players who didn't read the novels feel little to no connection to the characters.  But all of this really boils down to the one mild-to-moderate mistake of having the telling of important stories spanning different mediums, from novels, to comics, to games, and even to movies.

The AI companions are far more useful than any other companions from any other Halo game, but their AI has room for improvement.  There is no way of instructing a specific companion to pick up a specific weapon, so it's hard to give a weapon to the Spartan who specializes with said weapon.  And regardless of which companion picks up the weapon, they're almost guaranteed to stow it and use their other weapon, never switching to the far more powerful weapon on their backs, which is likewise extremely frustrating.  And likely the biggest issue is that if you require assistance, they'll tend to stop in an open lane of fire and die before they accomplish anything.

• Like 1