Do You Still Like Halo? What Do You Like About It?

Drizzy_Dan

Do You Still Like Halo?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still like Halo?

Simple question. Does anyone on the forum still like Halo? If so, which part do you like about it? I want to know so I can post more content pertaining to what people like instead of trying to write something every time something happens.

If you said yes, write anything from playing the game to watching eSports to reading on the expanded universe. I'm genuinely curious as to whom, besides the people I play with, still have interest in this franchise. 

And if you don't like it anymore but you stick around for the community then feel free to share that too.

• Like 3

I do and don't stick at it personally I have phases where I'm into Halo then I'm not but with this latest H5 update it is the one it needed most in terms of quality of life improvements such as the Custom Games browser as well as put simply the best Forge to date sure 343 has been lacking in some departments but The forge team is amazing so I may actually become invested in Halo again, oh who am i kidding of course I will once Gen 1 Recon gets implemented

Edited by Connor Kenway
  • Like 5

Yes, I still adore the series. I feel like 343 has done an amazing job with Halo 5 and I'm eager to see what's next. Here's what stands out to me about the current Halo franchise.

• The lore. Halo: Mythos, Fractures, Smoke and Shadow, Hunters in the Dark, New Blood, Envoy. Books that span entirely different stories and characters exploring areas of the universe that most fans had forgotten about. Giving 343 credit in this regard, I don't think Bungie would've ever touched the outer lore characters (Grey Team, Rtas') again.
  • Post-Launch content for Halo 5. If you had told me that Halo 5 would have this much content a year later, I wouldn't have believed you. In what other Halo game can you drive an anti-air wraith, jump out, use a sentinel beam, a CE pistol, then switch to a grenade launcher and a SOCOM magnum? Halo 5's multiplayer connects even more to the lore than the campaign. 
  • Forge. It's been said countless times, but Forge in Halo 5 needs to be the staple for games going forward. It is flawless. 
  • Like 6

I have a love-hate relationship with Halo at the moment.

I'll start out by saying that I genuinely love the core gameplay. Shooting and movement feel incredibly responsive and fluid, the sprint issue was resolved in a way I think works very well, the balance between automatic and precision weapons has been struck perfectly, and the maps are generally very fair. I'm also told that Forge is as good as it looks, and it looks incredible from what I've seen though I've sadly had very little hands-on time to tinker with it.

That said, there are just so many things the game does wrong or badly. While some of the new maps have improved upon it, I'm really tired of the dull, clean UNSC style which we see on most of the maps, and frankly I'm not fond of the overall aesthetic: I get they're different castes but the new Forerunner look is, to me, quite lazy uninspired, and the Spartans themselves look absurd to the point of parody - neither of which are helped by how graphically lacklustre the engine is (seriously, I played games in the early 2000s with better draw distance and LOD). The matchmaking itself is either complete trash or actively hates me (I should not be getting steaked in over 50% of my placement matches), to the point where I've now quit twice because of how fed up I am with horribly unbalanced games, the REQ system is still the most disgusting kind of anti-consumer pay-to-win garbage, and the campaign has literally no redeeming features. The fact that literally everything else is also now locked off behind the XBL paywall is just the final insult.

When Halo 5 is good, it's very, very good. Getting into an evenly-matched multiplayer game is as fun, tense, and exciting as it's ever been, and I'm sure that the custom games browser combined with Forge is going to give it more staying power than any previous Halo to date. But it shouldn't be the case that I have to go into custom games just to get a balanced Slayer match, and I shouldn't have to spend real money just to get onto even footing with people in Warzone.

• Like 6

Lurker here, imma say no.

The community was and still is super nostalgic and view Halo as a declining series when in actuality I'd say this is the most active I've ever personally seen it, 343i really got in tune where they needed to and especially with this last update and (the Reach one?) was very well received (from what I've heard). The forge is damn amazing and multiplayer is everything I'd want when I played in Reach but honestly I can't say I enjoy it.

I think it has something to do with a learning curve. I'm a casual gamer in every regard if something takes effort or skill I'm basically out. There has to be some enjoyment in the "work" of playing a game for me to really get into something. So, the campaign kinda sucked so I haven't wanted to replay it much so that whole chunk of the game is kind of gone to me. Forge is amazing, but in order to just place a block the menus and options are too bloated to make anything casual. The gameplay for multiplayer is pretty damn fast, and I enjoy it when I want to play something actiony but chances are if I'm finishing up classes or work that's not the first thing I want to do. I'm invested in the series because I really like where it's going and I am genuinely happy that the current fans are happy with this game, but right now it's just not for me.

But also I'd like to point out I raged-quit while playing H3 today so there's nothing really new here either. I just want to see a serious ease-of-use overhaul for forge, I used to be able to just place blocks and build something with no forethought but I've been trying passively for over a year with no luck. On that thought the UI designer in me is very salty about ease of use. Incrementing and decrementing through 256 colors is just terrible, A+B for ascending and descending is very counter intuitive, and selecting with a bumper are you forreal. But I'm happy with where everything is overall and can't wait to observe how things change.

tl;dr it's harddddddddddddd

• Like 4

Yeah I do like Halo still but I dont play it. I even have an Xbox One now, sort of and I dont play it. It's lost a lot of its draw and really changed a lot in ways I dont think have been good. Its not all bad. I like some of the new gamemodes and weapons I guess and Forge is pretty good. But apart from that, eh. The campaign is the worst Halo campaign and is trash. I can't honestly say anything good about it. Tbf I could really go for a rant right now about the campaign, I really want to. But theres not much I can say that has not been said.

The plot is stupid, the characters are stupid, the levels are stupid. It ruins the entire Halo Universe and is nothing but a pure cash grab. Remember Halo 5 was originally going to be a trilogy, now its a saga. Why? Because money. Its pointless and the writing is ridiculous if it was up to me Halo 5 would be remove from canon. The series deserves that much. Since Halo 5 had such great set up its a shame the final campaign product was cash gabbed fan service. (343 also need to stop over relying on the books since if you didn't read them you'll have no idea what's going on and that should not be needed. The books should be accessories to enhance your knowledge not be essential.)

As for the multiplayer, its fun but its nothing special. Halo hasn't really got that draw anymore but I suppose its also because I'm older now and not much of a gamer myself anymore and might only put in two to three hours a week tops. The multiplayer is good but has issues. Like the REQ system, or the boring maps, or aim down sights. (Why is that even a thing.) But hey at least it wasn't entirely broken at launch but still I feel like the games multiplayer needed to be held back for a few months to get extra content in there like infection (Why that gamemode was not there at launch is beyond my mental capacity.)

In conclusion, I like it but 343 need to take a long hard think about where this franchise is going. Otherwise Halo is doomed.

Edited by Caboose The Ace
  • Like 5

I do like Halo still. In my opinion it's the best that its ever been.

The multiplayer is great. The fast pace combined with the spartan abilities is really enjoyable. Although it's hard to get people to play with. I love when I get into a competitive game and I love the eSports too. Was zone is cool too although I don't play it as much. (Very rarely)

I'm not too keen on the expanded universe unless its directly related to a main game in the series.

Forge. What else is there to say? Perfect.

• Like 3

Listen...

I don't have a clue of what is going on in the story anymore, with AI Lives Matter, Hunt the New Plot, and Lego Set Eternal, but the community aspect is the main attraction.

Ho no. Not THAT kind of community.

I'm talking the "Pile 50 warthogs at the Hog Race finish line" kind of community. Playing Halo with friends is an experience that I don't see much in many other games. (Sure, there is Minecraft, but BZ1 blew up the roof and Gambol doesn't get invites from me, so basically eat me).

From sweeping, or being swept by, enemy teams to ruining everyone's day in Action Sack, the game still doesn't disappoint.

And you could say:

"Hold up there Chief (haha), what about the few game modes and linear play? You didn't think about all the drawbacks of competitive play on casual people... And assumed my gender, but I'll send you PM ab"-- I'm rambling on here with a joke more beaten down than Glenn's skull.

Looky here! Customs! Play the way you want, whether it's mere weapon changes to "what the hell, my frames are at 0.5, Vin delete the Billboards". Don't like the folks online nor boring linywhatever gameplay? To hell with them.

Find some nice guys or gals to play with and have at it with crazy game types like "One in the Chamber", "Jenga City", "Fishy", etc... Blah blah, fun stuff. Ask Blue, he knows all this stuff.

And FORGE.

Forge lets YOU call the shots. Ruin a perfectly good Sentinel Beam (damage is fine... Very late Trigger warning) with Hydra missiles or have everybody drive a banshee melded to 4 mantises. The possibilities are endless! You can drop tanks on friends or fly an ONI Falcon (DAMN HELIOS PHAETON) with Shades on it... Sunglasses not turrets, never thought I'd have to make that distinction in my life. Thanks Halo.

You could make a golf cart, but you can't really drive it...

Make maps, gamemodes, and all that jazz for you and your Homie Gee McFlurry Twists.

Sure that's covered... But...

Uh oh...

What's that?

"Warzone has become Farm Simulator and there is little chance to get into a non-blowout game! What about that biznasty?"

A wise fictional man that looked like Richard Castle once said: "From prey to predator".

Got friends on Halo 5? Get in there and plow your own fields with your team of six (yeah six, fire teams changed, outcome did not) and get your own Achilles Armor... Or friend fun... Friend Fun sounds better.

STILL hate people online, there's firefight...

Still sucks alone. Better get the people you like and show Captain Hetero, Tank Master Rok (and second cousin Luk), and all those pain in the butt Prometheans who the real Baron S'arome is, damn it Fishy has level 9 Reqs already.

Halo is doo doo when playing solo, unless you're that one Onyx in FFA. BUT I love it... Not... Solo...

Is that the message I'm trying to deliver?

Yeah, sure.

Whatever.

Friends = Halo fun

And you're there like:

"I get it now!"

And then bought Battlefield 1 because you didn't read any of this.

Thanks a lot, pal.

Halo is dead.

Mainly because of Poundtown.

Edited by Sadly Just Al
  • Like 6

There has been dark times for Halo in the last few years but despite the flaws, I'm still in love with Halo as much as I did when I first started playing. What really amazes me in Halo these days is the massive amount of creativity the community holds in store. Forge has come a long way and now everyday we see something new being made. I'm also happy that Halo has made its way back into competitive gaming. Even though I'm garbage at competitive and don't pay much attention to eSports, the series already had its roots into eSports years ago and it finally came back into the scene. There is still some things that need to be worked on though. One more thing about Halo is that I still love the story and lore that we constantly get. Even though Halo 5's execution of story was crap, I still find the concept of the Guardians and the Domain really interesting and I'm hoping Halo 6 can recover that. (may as well make Fireteam Osiris interesting while they're at it.) The Banished seem like a crazy cool addition into the universe with Halo Wars 2 and beyond that so I'm really looking forward to that.

TL;DR: Halo still has flaws that really should be worked out but other than that, the community creativity and lore keep me real invested.

• Like 2

You need to add 1 more option in the Poll: I don't know AND/OR Maybe

For me personally, I'd have to say... Yes and No. I don't like what has happened to Halo in recent years, but in the beginning I did. Like some have said here, it's a love/hate relationship.

Starting off, it's clear that Halo 4 destabilized and somewhat killed the community. Anyone who denies this is lying to themselves. I love Halo 4. ALL of it. But I know what's wrong with it, and know why it affected the community so much, and why something like it should never happen again... At least not another polarizing installment. Though of course we gave 343 the benefit of the doubt because they were so new to the franchise. I know I did.

Then they ruined it all with MCC. Don't get me wrong, I love MCC (its Campaigns anyway), but the multitude of problems pertaining to its MP-based systems remind me that this game was broken for a large portion of the fanbase since its launch. And it stayed this way for a LONG time. It's like Campaign got a better grip while the MP-related systems got the short end of the stick. And 343's response to this disaster is absurd.

Halo 5 on the other hand did return the community back to a somewhat "alive" state, but at a great cost. They introduced a VERY disputed micro-transaction system (which has since then been met with relative approval), botched the Campaign entirely despite what we were shown via marketing (and told directly by members of 343), and cut a bunch of features to be added later in the games lifespan or not at all. Granted, their post-launch strategy included releasing free content updates, many of which are VERY content-rich (including that same "cut" content that was not present at launch), and taking criticism and suggestions into greater consideration than ever before.

Regardless, none of the post-launch support for Halo 5 has dissipated this bitter taste I have for the franchise. I don't love Halo 5. At all. It's a game made for people who have an adequate online presence, and I'm not one of them. Used to, you could play ALL of Halo's modes offline, and still have a good experience (save for Halo 4's version of Spartan Ops). But now there's an over-emphasis on playing online, and downloading a god-awful amount of updates. The ONLY mode in Halo 5 I can play offline is Campaign, and it's quite literally the worst Campaign out of any Halo.

There's no Split-Screen. There's no new Skulls or fun modifiers despite what 343 did with Halo 2 Anniversary. The Forerunner vehicle is a disappointment. AI is trash. Enemy combatants are trash, and not at all diverse. Narrative is trash: especially character motives, and interaction. The OST is annoyingly loud, and too needlessly complicated. The depth of the game's level-design is trash. The only GOOD thing I can say about this Campaign is that I like allot of the new designs. That's it. Halo 5's Campaign has no soul.

I played Halo 4 til the cows came home, and I practically ran MCC ragged running through its Campaigns. But I played Halo 5 for maybe a month, and never returned. If anyone wants to give me a good case on why I should come back then I will, but I'm not planning on doing it otherwise.

All in all, 343's Halo is a mixed bag of good and bad, with the bad overshadowing the good. They do something right one moment, and screw up the next. I've been burned too many times to continue being faithful to this franchise, and I'm not going to crawl back without GOOD incentive to do so, like I said above. The mere notion of Halo 6 existing disgusts me. In the end, it just feels like numbers instead of anything meaningful, and the trust I once had for 343 and Microsoft is all but gone.

I honestly don't know what to do regarding my continued tenure here. For those who paid attention I've been absent for a while, and this is due to my utter lack of interest in what tethered me here in the first place: Halo. And I think I'm not alone in thinking this. Idk.

Thnx for the inquiry, Drizzles. We needed this.

• Like 4

For me its probably got to be the lore/back story of the series and how original it can be. Even with having two different companies having control over it throughout its creation and development phases, the devs still manage to impress me no matter what. I'm not trying to be a fan boy but its sorta hard not to be when I've been playing it for more than half my life. Also the Flood & SWAT.

• Like 2

It's a good question, but I feel it's not a question that can be summed up with yes or no.

These days, Halo means different things to different people. For me, it's the games. I absolutely love Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST and Reach. I will never get tired of playing them and they hold some of my best gaming memories. Nothing's likely to change that.

If anyone asked me if I like Halo, I would say yes and talk about those games.

But then along comes 343 and their first Halo game. I did not like Halo 4, it has very few redeeming features for me. The campaign made me not care about anyone, even making me lose interest in Cortana and Chief as characters. The soundtrack was underwhelming, the enemies were boring and the missions were not enjoyable. The multiplayer did little better, with many of their small changes changing the classic Halo gameplay in a noticeable way that I just didn't feel like I was playing Halo anymore.

Halo 5 was the first Xbone only title and I had no Xbone. I looked up the story anyways. Their advertising had got me interested, the actual story left me severely underwhelmed. They built up something they did nothing to deliver that you could nearly call false advertising at the extreme. I had many chances to play Halo 5, but I had no interest to and I don't think I will.

So if anyone asked me if I still liked Halo, I would say no and talk about those games.

Then we get to Halo Wars. It's an interesting one. Halo wars was a new take on Halo games, with a different gameplay genre and different dev team behind it. It was Halo, but it was going to do it's own thing. I like Halo Wars. I mean, I still think the actual gameplay is flawed, broken and just downright bad as an RTS, but I still have fun every time I play it. I like the characters, the story, the setting and the soundtrack. It was far different than what had come before, yet it can still stand up tall and call itself Halo and it would have a far better claim than 343's two entries into the setting.

HW is a game that shows there's potential for expansion in the Halo universe. There's still so much that could be done. Halo Wars 2 is going to decide for me if Halo is a name worth sticking around for, or abandoning all together and leaving with only the treasures of the past to enjoy.

I like what Halo was.

I dislike what Halo is.

I like what Halo can become.

• Like 2

I like what Halo was.

I dislike what Halo is.

I like what Halo can become.

I think this really sums up about how I feel currently about the franchise.

I cannot say I enjoy Halo currently. I miss my Custom Game lobbies of my Halo 3 days where the community was carefree and you could be invited into a custom game lobby and make entire new friends(2 of the people I've known since I played Halo 3 in 6th grade I am still friends with and I am sophomore in College now) 

It really feels like the tone of the community has changed and it does not feel as personal anymore. Playing Custom Games with other people is just an exercise in silence unless those people are your friends. 

The gameplay is fun but the whole REQ system rubs me the wrong way. It isnt fun to play Warzone and not have access to awesome vehicles or weapons because you didn't get enough COOL KID PACKS. I absolutely love Warzone but I wish 343i could settle for a middle ground.

Then there is the story. Halo 5's story was hugely disappointing and made me very uninterested in the story of Halo. Halo Wars 2 has piqued my interest and I want to have faith that 343i will redeem themselves like they did with the gameplay of Halo 4 to Halo 5. 

• Like 2

I'm going to have to say Yes.

I have loved Halo ever since Halo 3 cause Halo 3 was my First Halo. I've played the MCC, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 Guardians. I miss Duel wielding weapons from Halo 3. I miss being able to play as The Elites like in Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach. In my Opinion Halo Reach had the best Armor Customization compared to any other Halo game. Halo 3 had the Best soundtrack and probably still the best Multiplayer Experience. I liked Halo Reach cause you were able to earn your armor by purchasing it with Credits that you earned from playing the Campaign, Multiplayer, FireFight, or by simply completing Daily Challenges. As far as the Campaign story line goes I'd have to say Bungie did a lot better with the Campaigns. Here's why Every Halo game made by Bungie had a Extraordinary Story to tell. Now I understand 343i had a lot on their plate when they picked up the Halo title from Bungie. Halo 4 had a great story at first but then towards the end it kinda got lost in the Deep Reaches of Space. Halo 4s Multiplayer was ok for the most part but calling in weapon ordnance from the sky just felt to much Like COD. Halo 5 Guardians was a bit Disappointing to me because of the Removal of Splitscreen bad Mistake on that decision. The Campaign was aok but it wasn't anything Spectacular. Halo 5s Forge is Absolutely Legendary! I love what 343i did with Forge but Like said without Splitscreen it's hard to enjoy my Creations. Warzone FireFight is far better than Regular Warzone. I really disagree with the Req System. Here's why I believe we should earn our armor through Challenges or Credits like in Halo Reach. Weapons and vehicles are fine as Reqs but Cosmetic items such as armor, Visr, or weapon skins should be earned through Credits or Challenges.

• Like 2