Halo Players Are Entitled According To 343 Industries Employee

EdwardBuckODST

You should read Grim's responses under the Reddit post. I think it all blew way out of context...

Also posted this on the video i case you'd prefer to reply there.

• Like 2

Halo players ACT entitled, there is little to no debating this.  How many inflamed Reddit, Subreddit as well as other websites have we seen claims of "wanting a refund" or "give us the game we want" threads?  Fact is, due to how consumerism has evolved as a business and practice, they themselves bred the now "Entitled" gaming movement as a whole.

Far be it from me to claim anything other than logical and factual, but it is correct.  Gamers today have been so empowered to the point in which they really do think they are entitled to refunds and gaming titles that cater to their every wish and desire.  And anything that falls short in any way is unacceptable.

A decade ago gamers did not have this false sense or feeling of entitlement.  We got what we got, and that was it.  There was no whining, flaming or endless complaining just because we were not 100% satisfied with what we boguht.  Contrary to popular belief, gaming and media/entertainment in general has NO GUARANTEE!  Anything you rent/buy/play is not guaranteed to function/satisfy or otherwise.  You do this under your own accord.  Perhaps if more people actually read a EUA and the companies actually stuck to their guns, we wouldn't have bred this Era or Entitlement.

That's just my 39 years of life expereince....

• Like 4

I think you make some good points Twinreaper but maybe the reason we didn't see so much of this behaviour ten years ago wasn't because it didn't exist but because things like reddit and gaming forums weren't as popular? I only used waypoint a little bit but it always seemed like there was a lot of criticism there of the newest game, except the developers didn't really openly reply to it, which they do on things like team beyond and reddit.

Plus isn't it fair to expect that you at least get what has been advertised to you? What upset me most about Halo 5 was that the story was completely different from what the advertising said it was going to be about, and I don't think the problem is with me being entitled just because I want the game to stand up to the standards it set for itself. And then there are things like the Master Chief collection which just didn't work at all but because I had it on a digital download I couldn't even return it, so I'm stuck with it and the only thing I could do was complain and hope they fixed it. Maybe we do complain too much but is it really entitled to expect that you actually get what you pay for?

I think you make some good points Twinreaper but maybe the reason we didn't see so much of this behaviour ten years ago wasn't because it didn't exist but because things like reddit and gaming forums weren't as popular? I only used waypoint a little bit but it always seemed like there was a lot of criticism there of the newest game, except the developers didn't really openly reply to it, which they do on things like team beyond and reddit.

Plus isn't it fair to expect that you at least get what has been advertised to you? What upset me most about Halo 5 was that the story was completely different from what the advertising said it was going to be about, and I don't think the problem is with me being entitled just because I want the game to stand up to the standards it set for itself. And then there are things like the Master Chief collection which just didn't work at all but because I had it on a digital download I couldn't even return it, so I'm stuck with it and the only thing I could do was complain and hope they fixed it. Maybe we do complain too much but is it really entitled to expect that you actually get what you pay for?

Well, look at it this way.

Look at the original Spyro trilogy, buggy as hell. Somethings can't be done, glitches are everywhere.

$50 for it's time. Nobody complained, they got what they bought.

Superman 64, $40 for it's time. You fly through hoops, and that's about it... Nobody really complained or thought they were entitled to a refund.

Animal Crossing, $50 for it's time. You pay your mortgage, by selling stuff. Nobody complained, instead it became a really popular thing in today's time.

Basically, people are starting to feel entitled because they want what they want, few people are happy because they don't care. 6 year olds are now in their later teens, everything is garbage to them now and so on so forth. Everyone is just being picky, and it has nothing to do with the gaming industries. Only small minded people like we see today.

• Like 2

I blame Microsoft's deadlines of having to put out a title every year or every other one as a big problem with the franchise's declining quality along with gamers themselves.

Players do feel entitled because they've been exposed to games that don't feel complete for so long that when the remastered versions of these games come out and feel like they satisfy all their needs with their simplicity, they start to hate the other games for being more complicated. If we were to get a Halo 3 Anniversary alone like a lot of people seem to want it'd only further this behavior. People will be paying 60 dollars for a reskinned, 60fps, already-launched game with possible dedicated servers and better projectile registration and maybe some extra easter eggs in the campaign. 

This all sounds great but how long can people replay the same campaign and multiplayer maps they played the **** out of from 2007-2009/10. There's simply no way to please the entire Halo Community. They weren't all happy before either but it wasn't as widely known because of the lack of social media platforms giving a voice to every single person that plays. 

I think 343 needs to launch different playlists to try things out almost like a weekly occurring beta if you would. This way we can try classic settings, no sprint, no radar, everything but armor abilities, BR starts, new doubles map configurations, new FFA settings and map configurations, and anything else people say they want.  

CoD is having the same problem with IW which may not have competitive eSports because of it and people are also talking about how MWR isn't really good for competitive play these days either which is a very serious issue for that community. 

The gaming community in general has just gotten spoiled. 

• Like 1