ika7o08.png

Heyy, welcome back to the Weekly Spook Poll!  :devil: 

Poll 41 - 'Alternate Game-Modes' - is here if you'd like to read the responses, or post a late reply.

It's October! So that means the spooks have been cranked up to 120, and Drizzy's now peeing his pants more often! Prepare for this Halloween themed special series of Site Polls!

This week we're going to dig right into the filth that is horror games...

yk8pQMW.png

What are the BEST horror and/or plain old scary games?

The next Weekly Site Poll will be posted hopefully a week from now when I have the time. Feel free to suggest the topic for the NEXT Weekly Site Poll in your response!

SD, out!  :split:

51985-Dino_Crisis_2_(E)-1.jpg

I can't think of many games that scared me the most. Resident Evil comes to mind, it was definitely a game I found scary back in the day. But, that's not the first game that comes to my mind. Dino Crisis 2 for Playstation 1 on the other hand was a game that made me jump and kept me on edge thoughout my journey surrounded by the run down buildings, buildings in general and various other areas filled with vegetation and abandonment, rusted fences/gates, bloody stained floors/walls etc, worn out machinery, corpses (Also covered in vegetation and what not) etc. Pretty much what the world would look like if all the humans on our planet were eaten by dinosaurs (Now, that's a movie waiting to be made).

I can't remember the names of the characters but within the game you have good variety of weapons to choose from or find along the way, obviously you have dangerious mission obectives which vary from finding key cards to taking down a T-Rex to get to the next section, mysterious plot twists to keep you interested and curious throughout the story (Such as scientists experimenting on dinosaurs) and best of all the many types of dinosaurs that want your blood. :laughing:

Of course, the biggest dinosaurs in the game were pretty much lead to big boss fights every now and then and boy, they were scary back then, at least for me they were. Dino Crysis's plot is very similar to Resident Evil, just with dinosaurs and not zombies. There's also a cinimatic element to it also, quite similar to Resident Evil 1, when you're inside the mansion. Dinosaurs even get experimented on in the series, in Dino Crisis 3 they get turned into half dinosaur and half machine but that's a whole other story (A story I can't get into because I'm really struggling to remember the Dino Crisis 2 story let alone the games released after it).  And, what you do with the main character in Dino Crisis is similar to what you do when playing as Leon S Kennedy in the old Resident Evil games.

I've never enjoyed playing a horror game more than I did Dino Crisis, it will always in my heart! No doubt the other reason is because the main character 'Regina' is super sexy! Dat 90's vibe though! She looks a bit like Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell.

regina-dino-crisis-1-wallpaper-small.jpg

Edited by ShockGazm
  • Like 1

I don't really like the 'blood and guts' style of horror as it grosses me out, but I don't usually find it scary, and even most really good psychological horror doesn't have a lasting effect on me. It freaks me out at the time, but then I can go back and rewatch it without any difficulty. Things like the Ring are really great because they're terrifying to watch at the time and they actually make me start jumping at shadows for a few days afterwards.

And then you have the Alien.

I don't really know what it is about the Alien in particular that just flat-out terrifies me so much: maybe it's because I was only about five or six when I first saw it and since up until then my experience with aliens was stuff like ET and Star Wars, so it just left a really strong impression on me. At any rate, while I get jumpy and nervous when playing a lot of survival horror games, I literally could not cope with Alien: Isolation. It's one of the only games I've ever had to turn off because I just couldn't deal with it emotionally. It's the only game that I've had to curl up and have a cry over. It's the only game that has literally terrified me to the point where I could no longer form words.

10/10, would spend two months sleeping with the lights on for again.

• Like 1

I don't really like the 'blood and guts' style of horror as it grosses me out, but I don't usually find it scary, and even most really good psychological horror doesn't have a lasting effect on me. It freaks me out at the time, but then I can go back and rewatch it without any difficulty. Things like the Ring are really great because they're terrifying to watch at the time and they actually make me start jumping at shadows for a few days afterwards.

And then you have the Alien.

I don't really know what it is about the Alien in particular that just flat-out terrifies me so much: maybe it's because I was only about five or six when I first saw it and since up until then my experience with aliens was stuff like ET and Star Wars, so it just left a really strong impression on me. At any rate, while I get jumpy and nervous when playing a lot of survival horror games, I literally could not cope with Alien: Isolation. It's one of the only games I've ever had to turn off because I just couldn't deal with it emotionally. It's the only game that I've had to curl up and have a cry over. It's the only game that has literally terrified me to the point where I could no longer form words.

10/10, would spend two months sleeping with the lights on for again.

I had a tough time with Isolation too, but what caused me to hard-quit was a sudden bout of repetitious behavior from the Alien in a certain area with a hidey locker. The thing would run out in front of the locker, sniff the air, walk directly up to it and stare in like it knows I'm there, and then run off to jump into a vent. It did this 10 something times before I just quit, and never went back.

It's a really good game to be sure, but I just couldn't handle the stress.

• Like 1

The FEAR series, sooooooooooooooooooooo frightening.. much spooky scary.

I REALLY liked F.E.A.R. 2. Felt as though it was pretty scary despite it probably not being so. The ending was so jarring, and unsettling that it left a lasting impression on me. I'm never going to replay it though, and F.E.A.R. 3 I don't even want to get involved with.

Still a good game nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...