Raptor Pen

D4rkDeath

Infection has come to Jurassic Park! Quite a few people were asking me about a Jurassic Park Infection gametype for my other map "Jurassic Park" and it just didn't seem to fit properly on that map. So I present to you "Raptor Pen". This map was a lot of fun to build, partially because it was the first map that I co-forged with weeeeeman. He did the cage outside of the Raptor Pen, the small gate at the back of the map, a few aesthetic details, and provided excellent feedback.

The map is made mainly for Infection, however it is set up for Slayer, CTF, and Strongholds. There is a seperate weapon layout for Infection. I spent a lot of time on the terrain in order to make it flow well with having hills, bushes, trees, and good lines of sight. The Raptor Pen is the Jewel of this map though, looks great with the new textures added to the primatives.

The Maintenance Shed is accessible and you can go in to the generator to "turn the power on"(only turns on lights on the generator). Above the Maintenance Shed there is a switch to open the roof, to provide balance against what could be a powerful holdout area.

The Cave connects under the map and provides fun gameplay and allows for an additional path into the map, but isn't big enough to make you feel separated from the map.

For CTF, Slayer, and Strongholds, I made the weapon layout balanced for both sides and the time to get to the power weapons is the same for team initial spawns. The map was surprisingly more fun than I imagined just doing a FFA with friends.

Jurassic Park Infection was a big part of Reach and Halo 4 and I made this map intending to honor that legacy.

Download Link: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=D4rkDeath#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_D4rkDeath_4184c686-5546-4cf3-a7b2-26e0bbf59ab0
GT: D4rkDeath

Brought to you by the Forge Factory team! Checkout ForgeFactory.net for a wide variety of high-quality maps made by experienced forgers.

post-95905-0-89352000-1468307973_thumb.png

post-95905-0-16125600-1468307981_thumb.png

post-95905-0-28194200-1468307985_thumb.png

post-95905-0-18723800-1468307989_thumb.png

• Like 4

I assume this version is different from the aesthetic one that I featured?

Entirely different map than that.  I had a lot of requests for an Infection map on Jurassic Park (that BTB aesthetic map).  However, I knew it would not play well for infection.  I locked the raptor pen, the main gate, and the maintenance shed.  I moved all of my spawns aside with those 3 assets and deleted everything I had before.  Then with the assets I had, I created a much smaller map intended for Infection.  With the history of people liking Jurassic Park Infection in past games, I really tried to make what would make the most sense and make something that was not what is found in matchmaking, which I have found to be a holdout fest.  Now that this map has been out awhile, I have been considering putting soft kill boundaries in the upper half of the trees, some survivors have found a few holdouts that the trees bring.  If people don't climb the trees, it seems about 50/50 on who wins.

Since I had the structures already done, I opened up the Maintenance Shed to be a playable area, but the top of the Shed can be opened so it doesn't stay a strong holdout.  With the few updates we have had, I have added new trees and bushes along the way and tweaking things here and there for better sight lines and such.  I also have a core set up on the map as an alternate option, because I find myself wanting to be able to also play other game variants on some infection maps out there.  The core game types all work out pretty well, but the map was made for Infection.  This has become a map that is played a lot within Forge Factory and has received a lot of attention, I have made sure to continue to play test the map and it has come along way even since the Forge Labs Feature. 

The Jurassic Park map has been updated significantly as well, adding more trees, better sight lines, and after the piece increase it now hosts a much fuller back drop.  I have gone through both maps a lot and am always looking to polish them since I have had so much positive attention and love for the maps.  In your feature of Jurassic Park from back in April?  There was a part in the video where you said you had no idea what that area was.  That area was overhauled and now hosts the infamous small gate and one of the watery drain pipes from the movie.  I highly encourage you to take a second look at Jurassic Park and how it has evolved and take a look at Raptor Pen.  Jurassic Park in halo has a pretty weird following, but a strong one at that.  I am happy to be what is hopefully doing justice to that following.  My next project after Ancestor is buttoned up will likely be Jurassic World, I get asked about making that one.  Well thanks for helping me get my content out there!  I enjoy your channel.

• Like 1

Quickly ran through it in a custom game by myself and there are a few things I'd change.

- Remove one of the DMRs. Honestly, I think no DMR might even be better given the map's sightlines.

- I don't like the soft kill in the raptor pen. If anyone decided to chill there, they could be killed so easily so it's not a problem. Soft kills in easily accessible parts of a map just breaks immersion.

- I'll hopefully be able to play this during the weekend and give you gameplay feedback if I find any problems.

This was featured by Sean Labs, right? Really no point in me giving a feature since most people would know of this but I can still help improve the map if it has any issues.

• Like 1

Quickly ran through it in a custom game by myself and there are a few things I'd change.

- Remove one of the DMRs. Honestly, I think no DMR might even be better given the map's sightlines.

- I don't like the soft kill in the raptor pen. If anyone decided to chill there, they could be killed so easily so it's not a problem. Soft kills in easily accessible parts of a map just breaks immersion.

- I'll hopefully be able to play this during the weekend and give you gameplay feedback if I find any problems.

This was featured by Sean Labs, right? Really no point in me giving a feature since most people would know of this but I can still help improve the map if it has any issues.

Glad you are checking it out!  I really haven't found the DMR to be an issue in any of my play tests.  If anything I would go down to 1, but there aren't a lot of weapons on the map as is.  Which I understand Infection doesn't have a lot of them, but they are pretty rare.  As far as the soft kill goes, I don't have a good answer for that, lol!  So that is a change I am going to make actually.  I think I just had it from the original, but then I made a way out... and yeah, anyway it is going to be taken off.  Both Jurassic Park and Raptor Pen have had significant updates since both of their features.  I am kind of looking for someone to show them off and do a double feature or something since they are so much different and better looking than before.  Even with Jurassic Park, I have made a few changes on there based off of a lot of feedback for it to stay true and become more competitive.  Jurassic Park really is not meant to be a serious competitive map, but I have found a few videos around YouTube of people really enjoying it, so I have tightened it up.  I am going to work on an update for each of them today.  I always appreciate your feedback!

• Like 1

Got a chance to play this in Zandril's lobby today. I think the map could use more rooms or a different layout in general. I'm not a Forger so take my limited expertise with a grain of salt. Anyway, the gameplay showed that there wasn't much variety in paths for survivors to take other than sniper tower (which really isn't a good holdout) or the downstairs rooms that are connected, unless they wanted to be sneaky and go hide in a bush around the map. It was very easy for survivors to win because the map was an enclosed circle allowing them to either fan out and shoot from many angles at approaching zombies. I could understand that you don't want a linear style Infection map because it's done a lot and that's why I suggest adding more structure. It is a pen, the name does not lie.

Biggest issue I have with the map is its layout and how cluttered it is. For the most part, there's just a bunch of trees and rocks sticking out as lazy cover. There's no real pathing to the map and not many proper connections in between the different areas. All this kinda contributes to creating the map's other issues like it's sightlines. I think in the last two rounds, the Infected had such a hard time killing people because the survivors were just sticking to the edges of the map. I never think it's a good idea if the best way for zombies to approach the humans is to go from rock to rock until they get close enough. As much as possible the ways to get to the survivors should be through defined routes and flanks.

I understand that fixing these issues might go against the map's theme but it's up to you if you want the map to play better.

Naw I really wouldn't want to change it at this point. It is a different take on infection and really has a following. Too many people enjoy it to change it that much. In my lobbies, the surv vs zombies are usually 50/50. Thematically the idea is the rock to rock jungle theme. More like a Raptor or raptors coming from the side than a zombie. Jurassic Park infection was a different take on infection in Reach and 4, I feel I honored that legacy. Personally, I'm not a fan of H5 infection, though I still enjoy it from time to time. It wasn't lazy cover either, it is a theme. I put a lot of thought, care, and time into what I do, even if you don't agree with the flow of the map, it wasn't lazy.

Got a chance to play this in Zandril's lobby today. I think the map could use more rooms or a different layout in general. I'm not a Forger so take my limited expertise with a grain of salt. Anyway, the gameplay showed that there wasn't much variety in paths for survivors to take other than sniper tower (which really isn't a good holdout) or the downstairs rooms that are connected, unless they wanted to be sneaky and go hide in a bush around the map. It was very easy for survivors to win because the map was an enclosed circle allowing them to either fan out and shoot from many angles at approaching zombies. I could understand that you don't want a linear style Infection map because it's done a lot and that's why I suggest adding more structure. It is a pen, the name does not lie.

It really isn't meant to have good holdouts, that was the point, Jurassic Park style infection has always been a run around and band together type game. Opposite of matchmaking's find a good hold out and camp alone. Adding more structure kind of breaks the theme, I can see how competetive players might look for better sight lines and familiarity, but there are 1000 maps for that. I've had multiple people say this reminds them of Jurassic Park Infection from Reach and my private lobby hasn't let me go a week without playing it. Sorry if you guys didn't enjoy it, this was made for something different than the norm. Win or fail, it has been enjoyable for me and hopefully the fanbase it was made for.

And even if we don't see eye to eye on this, thank you for checking it out. I do appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...