Dont believe the HYPE

ESPADAS03

SO Halo 6 will soon be here as far as marketing not the release but once halo wars 2 drops im sure if there is no other HAlo game in the running we will soon see advertising and teaser or leaked trailers of Halo 6. 

And we all know what this means

343 will market the crap out of some non in game stuff...meaning it will depict Chief as dead but he doesn't die Kelly and Vale will the next rivalry... it will show two theories Vale shoots Kelly or Kelly Shoots Vale, but in the game it will actually be Kelly makes fun of Vale, Vale gets her feelings hurt they scuffle and after they become best friends and the audience goes WTF is this crap.

Next they will advertise some new Spartan... but will only get one mission as said spartan that will have zero point to the entire storyline.

Then they will say how this game will built from the ground up... they will reuse Halo 5 stuff.

it will claim to have over 1000 armors day one... the armor will all be Reskins of Recruit armor with different names.

Oh the campaign will be sold as being 5 times longer then Halo 5... it will be actually shorter but will be said if you play with all skulls on on legendery solo its longer...it will have a crappy ending as well.

It will say we will see Locke grow as a character... Lockes story will be as informative as Halo Nightfall was...

He will not grow a character rather he will remain two dimensional and give occasioanal one liner cliche jargon...

Cortana will be revealed to be Cortana's long lost twin sister who is Evil... and thats how it will end.

My predictions on Halo 6 

• Like 1

This would've been so much more useful as a discussion topic but it's just senseless bashing....again.

Take time to make something constructive and get your facts right BEFORE you complain. (Not complaining is better)

• Like 3

ANYONE who thinks the marketing, execution and actual product that  released was perfectly fine for Halo 4/5/MMC....they seriously have no idea or grasp as to the amount f marketing that actually went into it, nor did they really pay attention to it.

What Espada is saying, is that 343 has a REAL WORLD FACTUAL TRACK RECORD of releasing games that in no way bare any resemblance to the marketing campaign, the stated on camera description of the game, or the amount of actual real content provided within it.  His speculation of what will happen with Halo 6 is justified by the FACTS that are clearly in front of everyone and very well documented on every media outlet over the internet.

For what it's worth I'm not saying Bungie was any better.  But at least they learned from Halo 2 and since then, Halo 2 is the ONLY title that didn't live up to what promised, and was marketed accordingly.

• Like 2

ANYONE who thinks the marketing, execution and actual product that released was perfectly fine for Halo 4/5/MMC....they seriously have no idea or grasp as to the amount f marketing that actually went into it, nor did they really pay attention to it.

What Espada is saying, is that 343 has a REAL WORLD FACTUAL TRACK RECORD of releasing games that in no way bare any resemblance to the marketing campaign, the stated on camera description of the game, or the amount of actual real content provided within it. His speculation of what will happen with Halo 6 is justified by the FACTS that are clearly in front of everyone and very well documented on every media outlet over the internet.

For what it's worth I'm not saying Bungie was any better. But at least they learned from Halo 2 and since then, Halo 2 is the ONLY title that didn't live up to what promised, and was marketed accordingly.

Halo 3's believe trailer?

I literally cannot think of a Halo game that had a marketing campaign that actually led into the game or was a part of the game. Especially the viral marketing. 

So you're basically bashing 343i for continuing in Bungie's footsteps of kind of weird and off-topic marketing approaches. Or have you forgotten about Halo 2's viral marketing campaign featuring an AI that didn't exist in the game? Or Iris (AdjutantReflex) for Halo 3, which again had little to nothing to do with the actual game and was more or less about the books? And then all the live action trailers?

Seriously, Halo has always gone off kilter with it's marketing approaches. Yeah, H5's story was disappointing but the marketing wasn't why, it was crappy writing from a guy who should've stuck to comic books.

• Like 3

I literally cannot think of a Halo game that had a marketing campaign that actually led into the game or was a part of the game. Especially the viral marketing. 

So you're basically bashing 343i for continuing in Bungie's footsteps of kind of weird and off-topic marketing approaches. Or have you forgotten about Halo 2's viral marketing campaign featuring an AI that didn't exist in the game? Or Iris (AdjutantReflex) for Halo 3, which again had little to nothing to do with the actual game and was more or less about the books? And then all the live action trailers?

Seriously, Halo has always gone off kilter with it's marketing approaches. Yeah, H5's story was disappointing but the marketing wasn't why, it was crappy writing from a guy who should've stuck to comic books.

EXCEPT, that obviously you have no idea what ILB was or who commissioned it.  Bungie had NOTHING to do with ILB and it was created by a 3rd party and was commissioned directly by MGS.  So no, ILB was not part of Bungie's Halo 2 marketing, nor did Bungie provide any content or time towards it.

As for IRIS, it a similar marketing ploy to ILB, except it had direct relevance, considering it revolved around Forerunner Artifacts on Earth, at which time no one knew there was any on Earth.  Yes we knew Earth was/had something to do with The Ark, but it wasn't revealed exactly what.  Hence the relevance of IRIS. 

The point is, at no point did they show Halo 3 gameplay or characters directly from Halo 3 participating in events that were not in Halo 2 or Halo 3.  As to which, Halo 4 and 5 did a lot of this, only to have NONE of it in the actual game.  The only blunder on that front was the Halo 2 E3 reveal...but we all know about that by now.

Not only was the story for Halo 5 the biggest turd in existence, but the entire Chief vs Locke was so misconstrued and overhyped, when in actuality, the entire grudge/fight story of it all had NONE of the impact or hype.

EXCEPT, that obviously you have no idea what ILB was or who commissioned it.  Bungie had NOTHING to do with ILB and it was created by a 3rd party and was commissioned directly by MGS.  So no, ILB was not part of Bungie's Halo 2 marketing, nor did Bungie provide any content or time towards it.

As for IRIS, it a similar marketing ploy to ILB, except it had direct relevance, considering it revolved around Forerunner Artifacts on Earth, at which time no one knew there was any on Earth.  Yes we knew Earth was/had something to do with The Ark, but it wasn't revealed exactly what.  Hence the relevance of IRIS. 

The point is, at no point did they show Halo 3 gameplay or characters directly from Halo 3 participating in events that were not in Halo 2 or Halo 3.  As to which, Halo 4 and 5 did a lot of this, only to have NONE of it in the actual game.  The only blunder on that front was the Halo 2 E3 reveal...but we all know about that by now.

Not only was the story for Halo 5 the biggest turd in existence, but the entire Chief vs Locke was so misconstrued and overhyped, when in actuality, the entire grudge/fight story of it all had NONE of the impact or hype.

EXCEPT that I actually do. 42E was commissioned by M$ to make the ARG, sure, but Bungie approved of it so much that the ARG eventually made it's way into canon. Which is irrelevant because I didn't say that Bungie made the ARG, did I? No, I simply stated that Bungie had weird and off-topic marketing approaches. Then I pointed out two marketing approaches for previous Halo games that were similar to the ones for H5, one of which WAS created by Bungie.

Iris gave no further information than what could be reasonably assumed by the books and by the ending of Halo 2, and most of the information was irrelevant to Halo 3 and only later became relevant again with the Forerunner Saga and Halo 4. You remember Adjutant Reflex turning out to be none other than Mendicant Bias, right? And that the whole thing simply detailed the ending of the Forerunner race with only a tidbit about artifacts that were on Earth?

And actually, Master Chief was shown in Iris in a couple of different ways. His visor showing glyphs a couple of times as well as appearing on the advertisement for The Cradle of Life, which kicked Iris off in full. I'm actually just teasing you here, because the actual way to completely destroy your point is the live action videos for Halo Reach, which were just like the commercials run for Halo 5. They featured main characters, but none of the things in the trailers made it into the game. Instead they opted for going the route that that was simply backstory to the game. You barely even get acknowledgement that anything in the trailers was actually relevant to the game as well. The closest thing to relevance was the ARG Patrol LAT, which is the patrol you go looking for in the first mission of the game. They barely mention how Noble 6's predecessor died, and they didn't even mention the spartan training camp.

Yeah, Halo 5's trailers weren't super relevant to the game, but like the Reach trailers the themes were there. The ARG wasn't very relevant, but it was right about the same relevance as the ARG for Halo 3.

Halo 5's suckage, again, wasn't due to the marketing. It was because of poor writing of the main story line, which is what we have all come to expect from comic book writers who go to write for video games. We expect it so much so that if a story is simply mediocre and has only a couple of forced plot points we praise the crap out of the writer for being one of the best comic book to video game writers of all time.

I gotta appreciate the thought put into the OP, and how in-depth a small reference actually went. I personally don't bother to "hate on 343" after Halo 4 and 5, because there's nothing to dislike. Sure, not everyone's going to agree with everything, but the story of Halo 4 and 5 aren't bad. Personally, story is the most vital aspect as it is what actually happens, and this important factor is not a disappointment. To be honest, those who rant at 343 seem to be following the hype from my POV. Anything new that's released, someone tries to negate it and find an excuse to get everyone else hating 343. Everyone else, goes with assuming that Bungie were the only ones capable of doing good (which is a false allegation).

Lets be real here, 343 know what they are doing, at least to some extent. It's the followers who choose to over-hype things sometimes. Of course they'll put a ton of effort into advertising, isn't that what all project developers would do. They're trying to maximise their grasp on their target market, and heavy advertising is the best way to do so.

For the matter at hand, no one ever came forward in the amount of complaints that we see in Halo 5. I cant recall ANY public outcry as to the marketing of Halo CE - Reach, to the point at which players were completely baffled as to what they were playing or how the events were taking place.

Halo 5 however tried to dramatically play up tensions, depict events between Chief and Locke that NEVER happened, and because of the poor story arc and writing, they had to rely on marketing and half arsed secondary content to try to give substance to the blatently forced characters within it.

The argument can be won on both sides concerning marketing, but the fact that remains, is that Halo 5 was purposely marketex to try to draw back gamers, even at the expense of flat out lies, and the "DLC" gimmicks that are just fodder filler.

As an afterthought as well, since you love so much to try to be right with absolutely everything, including twisting or interpreting things a different way just to try to be, please remember also that marketing is completely SUBJECTIVE, and just because you, or another person found no relevance with a marketing object, does not meant that someone else did not.

Sorry for the edit again, but I also wanted to address the main concern and the overlooked aspect that is the root of all the problems here.  Marketing is NOT the act of promoting or creating spots to showcase the EXACT product.  Marketing is designed to engage, and hype up a product far beyond the level or value or interest that the product actually has.

Just like the campaign marketing and images that we all see with games, it is NOT the fault of the marketing company or developers that you interpret what you see the way you do.  For instance, the image that floated around of Chief with the world crumbled around him, and Locke standing over top of him.  The internet went wild with speculation and nearly EVERYONE drew the conclusion that some event in Halo 5 would cause exactly what they saw in the image.  The reality is, that image in my perspective, was simply a metaphor stating that Chief's whole world was crumbling around him, and Locke was the "truth" or "rock" that Chief needed to regain control.

Similar to another example here, Sensei Slicer knives on tv.  They market it as, "Single bevel, sharpest blade possible!" "Single bevel makes the knife stronger", etc....    Truth be told, the bevel does NOT make a knife sharper, nor does the angle in which it is crafted make the knife more durable or give it a higher Rockwell Hardness scale.  I work with knives, I'm a chef....I know how they work.  Unfortunately, it is marketed way beyond what it is and does, and marketed directly to people who don't own actual professional cutlery.  My $275 Miyabi is hand hammered, sharpened and can outlast ANY knife including a Global, Shun or Wusthof.   Hell I have a $45 Cangshan that is stronger, edges hold up better and is easier to maintain than the ASOTV knife.

The point is, marketing is done to draw you in, and give an interest level beyond what the product has, and has no liability to the product because it's up to you to research, decide the products value, and interpret it however you want.  Is any video game marketing ever really 100%, or even 50% accurate to what you get, no.   Do they protect themselves by sticking disclaimers everywhere, regardless as to whether or not your intelligent enough to look for them or read them?  Yes.  Is marketing something solely to sell product and lie to the consumer bad moral practice?  Yes.  Marketing is just that, and NEVER should simple images or flashy gimmicks be your "you sold me" or "take my money" selling point.  Arm yourself with knowledge, be skeptical and above all, do NOT believe simple hype, no matter the source.

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No news is good news some one once said to me.  However you gone sort of mental with 343s amazing ability to make crap Halo games, and you really lost the plot.  I have in the past exaggerated things, but never made up such crap as this.  I do not even understand half of it, or all of it really.
There has been nothing mentioned about Halo 6, and you have already gone for Armageddon.  Nice !!!
I will tell you what I would like to see in Halo 6, the return of Firefight.  Not Warzone Firefight, but Firefight.  I would also like to see better customisation of the loadouts and less Armour Abilities, maybe stick with what Halo 5 has done, but no more Req's, these are just stupid, or it is Microsofts way of making more and more money out of fans.
Instead of the Armageddon you are sprouting, maybe you should consider what you would like to see in Halo 6.  It is so much more constructive than what you posted.