Xbox Scorpio - Changes and Upgrades

Melody

Hello, I've decided to create this thread to discuss the new xbox console.

What changes would you like to see different in the Scorpio compared to the current Xbox One?

Not much information is known about the new Xbox Scorpio besides that it will be a "Major update to the current Xbox One" What do you think about the Scorpio?

Based on Teraflops the Xbox One runs at 1.32 according to Polygon, the Scorpio is rumored to run at roughly 6 Teraflops. Compared to Sony's PlayStation Neo running at an estimated 4.14.

Thoughts?

xbox-one-scorpio-and-xbox-slim-vs-playst

• Like 3

It certainly has a whole lot going for it, I'm excited about the new Scorpio because I strongly believe consoles will finally match up in processing power to a gaming PC. I've also heard about Microsoft changing the interface to a Windows 10 design, so that is another thing to be pretty excited about.

As for the Neo Fishy, I think PS2 games will most likely still be on PSN. So backwards compatibility shouldn't be an issue, however my thoughts are it's unlikely Sony will actually focus on PS2 titles since it's a bit dated. But then again I could be wrong since they did the whole PS1 thing. If Sony wants to go to the route of an "Ultimate Console" (Plays PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4-Neo Titles) If that were the case I think Sony will win a lot of people over in the console war for nostalgia.

Neo is expected to be revealed during E3 2017 so there is still quite a bit of time to improve and upgrade on Sony's end.

Here is the whole big problem for specs like this.  To an average person with no real world computer science or engineering experience, specs and speculation like this go interpreted and understood completely wrong.   Allow me to explain...

Based on Teraflops the Xbox One runs at 1.32 according to Polygon, the Scorpio is rumored to run at roughly 6 Teraflops. Compared to Sony's PlayStation Neo running at an estimated 4.14.

What Polygon has deliberately failed to mention, is that the Xbox One according to Microsoft runs at a "theoretical" peak of 1.31 Tera-flops.  Meaning that the "1.31" is the estimated maximum potential of the graphics architecture, not the actual usage.  In comparisons you can actual show, saying the Xbox One can out perform a Titan Z, is just wrong.  Titans run at about 0.326 Tera-flops in actual.  The average gaming console actually uses anywhere from 0.1-0.2 actual Gigaflops for games developed and released within the last 3 years.  Far slower than any desktop pc card from the last 3 years.

Also Tera-flops mean nothing since gaming requires very little floating memory points for graphics processing.  The real power required for gaming intensive items comes from Raster Operators and Texture Units.  Xbox One boasts the following...

ROP's: 16

Texture Units: 48

Shader Cores: 768

In terms of performance, this is about 10% greater than a GeForce GTX 750 Ti, a card that was released 1 year prior to the Xbox and in design for 3 years prior to Xbox design.  needless to say, the graphics power is far less than anything in mid range PC land.  So what you need to really remember is, is that unless they somehow strike a deal to redesign the consoles to ACTUALLY be computers with removable graphics cards and processors, nothing will ever catch up or surpass a PC.  That's not being just PC MASTA RACE 4 EVER, that's a statistical real world fact.

Also keep in mind, that the whole 6 Tera spec, is simply a base "theoretical" number they throw out based on math to show an estimated maximum potential, not the actual real world stable number.

Also real quick before I go, I forgot to mention the atrocious energy wasting of the new home consoles.  Sony is bad, but Xbox One is by far the most energy inefficient device in any home on any point on the face of the Earth.  Fact!

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 1