I was watching this video............

Absolute Dog

It has been over two years since I played the ODST campaign and was rummaging through You Tube and found a Machinga video. I really had forgotten just how good the graphics and music was for the game. I had played the campaign and fire fights for about a month until internet became available. This game really was much better than I had remembered.

ODST is indeed an awesome game, but the graphics are pretty much the same as in Halo 3 (which weren't even that great for their time). The only reason that they look perhaps a bit better is because of the lighting. I've still not beaten the game yet, but I'm loving what I've played so far. The atmosphere, music, and night time levels are pretty darn good, I believe. I was able to pick up a copy of ODST for about 17$ or 18$ a few months back, and I'm glad that I did.

• Like 1

Actually it's combination of Halo 1 and Halo 2 shader systems and properties that really brought the environmental mesh to life and made it look awesome. As for lighting, it would probably look a million times more realistic had they opted to optimize the engine to handle per-pizel and per vertex real time lighting. Instead, we got a system that uses the real time lighting and shadow casting for simple light fixtures. Reach does a good job of semi-incorporating the real time lighting with the sky. Some maps have clouds pass by the sun, and it actually casts shadows on th ground.

• Like 2

For me anyway, odst was my favourite campaign to play through other than Hce, Serene Mystic is right about the music and atmosphere of the game, it almost makes you feel like you're playing Halo Noir. I agree that the lighting effects could of been better, it would of really made this game stand out. I am definitely one of the people hoping for another odst.

I liked ODST, but it wasn't my favorite Halo game. The graphics were great because it was the most recent Halo game to appear before Reach lol

I enjoyed the idea of it, taking a different perspective of another marine/ army figure. You never really had a chance to play as an ODST instead of Spartan. I loved the game lol.

• Like 1

Actually it's combination of Halo 1 and Halo 2 shader systems and properties that really brought the environmental mesh to life and made it look awesome. As for lighting, it would probably look a million times more realistic had they opted to optimize the engine to handle per-pizel and per vertex real time lighting. Instead, we got a system that uses the real time lighting and shadow casting for simple light fixtures. Reach does a good job of semi-incorporating the real time lighting with the sky. Some maps have clouds pass by the sun, and it actually casts shadows on th ground.

Part of what made the campaign so different was the type of dark atmosphere that persisted throughout most of the game. The HUD, I thought of cheesy at first, really became a nice feature to use when entering courtyard areas that had snipers perched high above.

ODST is indeed an awesome game, but the graphics are pretty much the same as in Halo 3 (which weren't even that great for their time). The only reason that they look perhaps a bit better is because of the lighting. I've still not beaten the game yet, but I'm loving what I've played so far. The atmosphere, music, and night time levels are pretty darn good, I believe. I was able to pick up a copy of ODST for about 17$ or 18$ a few months back, and I'm glad that I did.

odst was great..i beat it like 10 times already...i just wish it was longer and had sprint...but other then that its one of the best halo sp of all time

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing it quite a bit lately. I've finally been reminded how much fun I had on this game. It's so cool. I just wish they'd make another, but with stuff a full Halo game would have, like matchmaking, custom games, and forge, not just Firefight and Theater. I love being an ODST. Here's a thread I made for another ODST game. Vote and tell me what you think:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/4995-odst/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...