CaptainDireWolf

(2-16 players, red. vs blue teams)

Gametype: Use breakout as I'm currently having trouble getting my custom gametype "The Grid" to work after the last 343 update.

“Might I suggest, perhaps, the challenge of the grid?” That’s right everyone. At long last you can now battle it up in the Light Cycle Arena based on the awesome movie: Tron. Chose to fight for the users (Blue team) or fight for the programs (Red team). As you leap into the arena, quickly choose your light cycle and prepare to fight for your life as light cycles clash against one another around the arena. Use your light trails behind you to kill off the other combatants and be the last one standing. Beware, light trails don't distinguish friend from foes...

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

It is also highly recommended to play the song: “The Game has Changed” by Daft Punk in the background as you play this game for an extra fun experience.

The map itself is contained within two levels and several ramps allow smooth passage between, which you can use to your advantage if you aim to cut off another combatant’s path or jump over them. Several other light cycles (green) are dispersed around the map simply for added obstructions. Don’t get caught in their light trails or its game over.

As always, I love suggestions for improvement so feel free to leave comments below.
Check out the forgehub link: http://www.forgehub.com/maps/light-cycle-arena.1727/and please hit the download button and add me on xbox live to access my bookmarks.

As in the words of Sam Fynn: “What are you supposed to do?”
Survive…

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

UPDATE: Due to bugs suddenly arising after the last 343 update that caused all the light cycles to randomly start spinning in circles and being attracted to each other I had to switch out the scout warthogs with mongooses. There was a loss of aesthetics as adding blocks make them top heavy, so they look very simple, but the gameplay still works. However, by using mongooses you can now achieve higher speeds and it's more fast-paced of a game ;) I will try to add photos of the new cycles soon!

• Like 4

Played this in my last lobby and I do have some feedback.

• Is there really no way for the minigame to work while having stuff welded to the vehicles? The vehicles actually looking like the Tron bikes was the map's best selling point and without it, everything's kinda stale. Think of it like your Podracer map but with just regular Ghosts.
  • Your gametype could use some work. Is there a life limit? Maybe set it to 3 lives. Not sure about this though because I only died twice before I had to end the game early. The whole lobby was complaining too much about the map.
  • Players shouldn't be allowed to walk on the arena. If they leave their vehicle, they should be teleported to their death. Maybe have a separate platform where the vehicles are that teleports players into the arena at the start of the match.
  • The arena itself could do with some work too. The ramps you slapped around just seem kinda lazy. You could at least create some more interesting geometry than just a basic ramp. Same goes for the two entrances to the bottom floor of the arena.

That's all I got for now. I surely hope you can address that first bullet point.

• Is there really no way for the minigame to work while having stuff welded to the vehicles? The vehicles actually looking like the Tron bikes was the map's best selling point and without it, everything's kinda stale. Think of it like your Podracer map but with just regular Ghosts.
  • Your gametype could use some work. Is there a life limit? Maybe set it to 3 lives. Not sure about this though because I only died twice before I had to end the game early. The whole lobby was complaining too much about the map.
  • Players shouldn't be allowed to walk on the arena. If they leave their vehicle, they should be teleported to their death. Maybe have a separate platform where the vehicles are that teleports players into the arena at the start of the match.
  • The arena itself could do with some work too. The ramps you slapped around just seem kinda lazy. You could at least create some more interesting geometry than just a basic ramp. Same goes for the two entrances to the bottom floor of the arena.

That's all I got for now. I surely hope you can address that first bullet point.

Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry you and your friends didn't enjoy the map. It played pretty well and had good aesthetics before 343's last update, which somehow caused every single bike to spin around in circles on its own and stick to one another as if magnetic. It was pretty weird lol. Since then I tried making the map simpler as people complained of it being too crowded. Welding too much to mongooses causes it to be too top heavy and fall over easily sadly. I was planning on going back and trying to reestablish my old designs with scout warthogs as you can see in the images. Hopefully the next time around won't cause the glitch with the bikes

As for the gametype, I set it to simple breakout so everyone had one life so the game went more quickly. If that didn't work I'll have to rethink the gametype.

The teleport of vehicles to the map sounds good. Reminds of Slapjack frenzy with all the pancakes. I'll look into that. Initially I thought people would stick to honor rules and not run around the map.

I'll try to make more interesting ramps. I tried making a circular one like in the Tron movie, but it was easy to fall off of it with the vehicle. If you have any additional ideas for future additions I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for testing it out! Cheers.

• 2 months later...

@Zandril

So I've gone and revamped the Light Cycle map based on your comments (transporting the cycles into the arena when each team gets in their vehicles, changed up the ramps, made it so you have to be in a vehicle or you die) and it works pretty well... except that spawning suddenly doesn't work anymore (works in forge only). I really have no idea how to fix it. Maybe the 343 update F'ed it up. If you get a chance, would you mind taking a look at it to see if you can figure out why the spawns aren't working? I've been bashing my head against the wall for some time now. Thanks!

• Like 1

How about welding pieces to the mongooses to make them actually look like light bikes. Because that's really the selling point for me, as I said. Still, I'll try to find time to look at your spawning issues. No promises it'll be soon though.

How about welding pieces to the mongooses to make them actually look like light bikes. Because that's really the selling point for me, as I said. Still, I'll try to find time to look at your spawning issues. No promises it'll be soon though.

I managed to reweld the original objects to the scout warthogs pretty well so that's fixed at least. The problem with doing that to the mongeese is that they flip really easily... so I think you'll like the original design. The only problem is the damn spawns :(