Ban Policy Discussion

Mosesofwar

I played 3 hours with my friend this morning. The game booted him from my party 5 times. 5 times! I have no clue why. Matching making because he is silver and I am gold so boot him? In any case because we were constantly booted from games we had to rejoin each other's fire teams due to whatever algorithm is programmed for fire teams. I'm not sure if it is trying to pair fire teams with with fire teams, but I'm not sure why you're putting us with two fire teams and it kicks a member of my fire team out.

As a follow up, I was banned today because of whatever you have programmed with my fire team kicking my fire team out of a game and me rejoining my fire team's game. It's complete bull**** that we need to go through the process of rejoining games with our friends then get banned because, pre game we join their game be a use your system boots the from games. Seriously, fire teams should be kept together, even if it means longer match search times. Don't punish people for teaming up with friends and having friend broken up because your match,asking system is flawed.

Player since combat evolved and loves halo 5: moses

• Like 1

I played 3 hours with my friend this morning. The game booted him from my party 5 times. 5 times! I have no clue why. Matching making because he is silver and I am gold so boot him? In any case because we were constantly booted from games we had to rejoin each other's fire teams due to whatever algorithm is programmed for fire teams. I'm not sure if it is trying to pair fire teams with with fire teams, but I'm not sure why you're putting us with two fire teams and it kicks a member of my fire team out.

As a follow up, I was banned today because of whatever you have programmed with my fire team kicking my fire team out of a game and me rejoining my fire team's game. It's complete bull**** that we need to go through the process of rejoining games with our friends then get banned because, pre game we join their game be a use your system boots the from games. Seriously, fire teams should be kept together, even if it means longer match search times. Don't punish people for teaming up with friends and having friend broken up because your match,asking system is flawed.

Player since combat evolved and loves halo 5: moses

I cannot agree with you more. The Halo 5 matchmaking system is greatly flawed especially in that way. With the penalities for betrayal often being harsh and getting the wrong people. :)

I can't offer much help other than my sympahsies though.

I cannot agree with you more. The Halo 5 matchmaking system is greatly flawed especially in that way. With the penalities for betrayal often being harsh and getting the wrong people. :)

I can't offer much help other than my sympahsies though.

Halo 5's matchmaking pairing system is flawed. 

Also, penalties for betrayal? You deserved a boot and a ban for that. That's common sense. Even if you did accidentally splatter him with the ghost, Halo 5 made it so you can put the ghost to an immediate halt. 

As for matchmaking issues, I've encountered none. Every now and then the game will go whacky and not let me play, but that's to an internet issue on my end or someone's end in the fireteam. A router reset or even a relaunch of the game fixes it. 

People are just too lazy to find solutions that solve their problems, and revert to simply accusing others (mostly 343) of their problems. Because it's never their fault, right?

• Like 1

Halo 5's matchmaking pairing system is flawed. 

Also, penalties for betrayal? You deserved a boot and a ban for that. That's common sense. Even if you did accidentally splatter him with the ghost, Halo 5 made it so you can put the ghost to an immediate halt. 

As for matchmaking issues, I've encountered none. Every now and then the game will go whacky and not let me play, but that's to an internet issue on my end or someone's end in the fireteam. A router reset or even a relaunch of the game fixes it. 

People are just too lazy to find solutions that solve their problems, and revert to simply accusing others (mostly 343) of their problems. Because it's never their fault, right?

You presume I'm talking about splatering someone with a ghost? Not at all. I was actually thinking of some of the horror stories I've seen on other forums like. I had a power cut and then I was banned or I had to quit because I have children and now I'm banned. I understand the reason for it's harshness but the ban system also gets the wrong people from time to time. I know there's really no way anyone can fix it but, whatever. :)

Besides not everyone's got amazing internet.

You presume I'm talking about splatering someone with a ghost? Not at all. I was actually thinking of some of the horror stories I've seen on other forums like. I had a power cut and then I was banned or I had to quit because I have children and now I'm banned. I understand the reason for it's harshness but the ban system also gets the wrong people from time to time. I know there's really no way anyone can fix it but, whatever. :)

Besides not everyone's got amazing internet.

If you know you have to do something or something is going to happen, then don't join a match.

Problem solved.

And if everyone uses the "Power cut, internet router restarted, my dog accidentally walked up and touched the power button." excuses, then everyone could get away with it.

Simple as that, your power cuts out. Don't go instantly joining another match with fear of it happening again, also you do NOT get banned for quitting one match, they must have quit two more matches. I presume that the power outage was so bad it counted as three games worth? Nonsense.

Your one quit goes against the count of 3, before you're banned. So yeah. No. Stop quitting and you won't have a problem.

If you know you have to do something or something is going to happen, then don't join a match.

Problem solved.

And if everyone uses the "Power cut, internet router restarted, my dog accidentally walked up and touched the power button." excuses, then everyone could get away with it.

Simple as that, your power cuts out. Don't go instantly joining another match with fear of it happening again, also you do NOT get banned for quitting one match, they must have quit two more matches. I presume that the power outage was so bad it counted as three games worth? Nonsense.

Your one quit goes against the count of 3, before you're banned. So yeah. No. Stop quitting and you won't have a problem.

But not everyone can predit the future. You may think you have a spare hour but someone requires your attention unexpectedly.

These ban's pile up faster than you think and unexpectedly so. :)

But not everyone can predit the future. You may think you have a spare hour but someone requires your attention unexpectedly.

These ban's pile up faster than you think and unexpectedly so. :)

Well then that's life, you still joined the game and quit. If something was coming up, but you didn't know when. You should've took the precautions and not have done it.

Also, every person on Waypoint who claims they were banned for no reason have a reason. Just view their game histories, they'll usually have a couple DNF's. One of those matches from being a life-relative reason to quit. Oh well.

Like I said before, you have to quit THREE matches in order to get banned. I don't care what your excuse is, if you've quit THREE matches for life-related reasons. You should've stopped playing all together, because something was gonna happen again. 

I don't care what the reason is, if you quit. You deserve the ban. You should either finish what you started, or don't start at all. Quitters are the reason why the fun games are ruined.

As he stated though, his friend was booted and then banned as well as he was because he QUIT the game to join his friend's fireteam. Therefore his quitting deserved him a ban.

Also, here's his Game history for reference: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/43be399b-f734-4202-af59-18f8df90028a/players/mosesofwar?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

Edited by Fishy

Well then that's life, you still joined the game and quit. If something was coming up, but you didn't know when. You should've took the precautions and not have done it.

Also, every person on Waypoint who claims they were banned for no reason have a reason. Just view their game histories, they'll usually have a couple DNF's. One of those matches from being a life-relative reason to quit. Oh well.

Like I said before, you have to quit THREE matches in order to get banned. I don't care what your excuse is, if you've quit THREE matches for life-related reasons. You should've stopped playing all together, because something was gonna happen again. 

I don't care what the reason is, if you quit. You deserve the ban. You should either finish what you started, or don't start at all. Quitters are the reason why the fun games are ruined.

As he stated though, his friend was booted and then banned as well as he was because he QUIT the game to join his friend's fireteam. Therefore his quitting deserved him a ban.

Also, here's his Game history for reference: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/43be399b-f734-4202-af59-18f8df90028a/players/mosesofwar?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

It is all nice saying these things but its easier said than done. I have taken precuations myself yet there has been times when I have had to go do something out of blue. :)

My issue is this: when playing with my friend yesterday 5 times we had either he or another member of our fire team kicked from our group during matchmaking. We found ourselves in lobbies with 9 players which resulted in. One of our fire team members not being able to play while still being kept in the fire team. It was very strange, leaving one player in menus while others were forced to play in the game.

It's very frustrating when you're trying to play with friends and the fire team keeps getting split up due to some type of error in matchmaking. With that being said, the first DNF I had was pre-match because of being dropped from match matching, which is my purpose for posting. Obviously, some how my avatar suffered a death and stayed in the game even though I exited prior to the match starting to rejoin my fire team members. The other two we played and realized our third fire team member got booted from the match two games in a row. I was angry yesterday and my post quality suffered.

I'm trying to bring to the attention of a flaw in the system. I understand the DNF policy leading to bans because 343 promised to not put players in matches that have already started. But this situation is flawed two-fold: the first is that fire teams are being split up for whatever reason, and not between teams. The match making shouldn't be putting one or two members of a fire team In a game and one or two get left in the menus. Also, if that happens and a player tries to rejoin their friends in menus prior to a match starting, it should not count as a DNF (it might not but I think if you get to the point where the teams are locked in and the map is loading it does because that is the situation that accounted for my first DNF according to waypoint).

It may add time to the matchmaking process but players should be able to leave at any time prior to the match starting without penalty. Match making should just restart if a player leaves instead locking you in and forcing you to play or register a DNF and the issue with fire teams being broken up and players being left out of a game is an example of why that should be allowed. As I mentioned, it's extremely frustrating to want to play with your friends, then you get into a situation where your friends are left out of games, and then you're locked in to playing for 8-12 minutes without being able to play with them.

It is all nice saying these things but its easier said than done. I have taken precuations myself yet there has been times when I have had to go do something out of blue. :)

Yes we all have.

AGAIN YOU HAVE TO DO IT THREE TIMES

Unless you literally are so unprepared that you have to jump on and off three times in a short period there is no reason. I've gotten banned before the most ive gotten was a 8 minute ban suck it up and take responsibility

I agree with  TR_8R but perhaps for slightly different reasons.  1)  The banhammer goes into effect after 1 match where someone leaves.   i know this b/c it has happened multiple times to myself and others that I play with.  That being said, 343 promised that we wouldn't be entered into matches that had a) already begun and B) were not full.  I can say on numerous occasions that on Warzone "a" has happened and on arena I've had to play with 1 or perhaps 2 others vs. a full team and once realized that it is a losing proposition I leave.  They really should follow through on what they promised us originally instead of handing us a hope that they had no intention of following through on. 

I'm actually perfectly fine with this system. On Halo 3, there were a ton of rage-quitters, it made finding a decent match very very difficult. Plus on Halo 5, modes like free-for-all or SWAT, each match is no more than 7-10 minutes long depending on how quickly you and/or the other players kill. Also like Yoshi and Fishy have said, they give you enough chances for you to understand not to quit in mid-match. 

It's a matter of fairness and what 343 promised us by telling all that you will always play in a full Arena match.  Anything less is a setup for failure and is unacceptable.  It seems like some on this thread are willing to give them a pass.   

It's a matter of fairness and what 343 promised us by telling all that you will always play in a full Arena match.  Anything less is a setup for failure and is unacceptable.  It seems like some on this thread are willing to give them a pass.   

What promises?

Hello everyone with problems with the ban system, here is a centralized place where you all can gather and discuss how much you hate it instead of making 700,000 different topics about the same thing.

Things to note: 

• You will be banned for quitting excessively. This includes getting kicked from the game because of server issues sadly.
  • You will be banned for betraying multiple times. Even by accident. 
  • You will be kicked and possibly banned if you are away from your game for about 2-3 minutes. 343 has taken precautions to catch people rubber banding thumbsticks and such.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the third time, in two days, that I've been banned for quitting, because my xbox loses connection to your servers, for whatever reason. I really like to play Halo 5... I am not abusing the system. I haven't been quitting games early to protect my kda. I don't kill teammates for power weapons. I'm banned now for twenty four hours... This system is not good. BTW, If you don't want people to quit early, why don't you fill empty slots in a game with new people? Some people are super vain, their "game points" mean so much to them that they need to leave any game where they're doing poorly, right? Well, after they disconnect, the people left in that game are usually disadvantaged enough to get completely owned and have a terrible time which makes even more people leave the match. I understand that the reason for this is very simple, as far as I know, we complained about getting spit into games on the losing team for the lest 3 seconds of the match. So, why not just institute a rule, a compromise, where matches with uneven players are filled but only if they aren't about to end? I'm sure that there is some awful complicated reason making my suggestion completely impractical, but still, wtf?

Hello everyone with problems with the ban system, here is a centralized place where you all can gather and discuss how much you hate it instead of making 700,000 different topics about the same thing.

Things to note:

• You will be banned for quitting excessively. This includes getting kicked from the game because of server issues sadly.
  • You will be banned for betraying multiple times. Even by accident. 
  • You will be kicked and possibly banned if you are away from your game for about 2-3 minutes. 343 has taken precautions to catch people rubber banding thumbsticks and such.

Other things to note:

• This is a community forum. We are not affiliated with 343 Industries or employed by Microsoft. Community forums are for community members (players) by community members (other players).
  • No one here can lift your bans. As a matter of fact nobody at Microsoft can lift your ban either. The system is automated, to make Matchmaking enjoyable for the majority of the players.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

just got home from work, haven't played halo since yesterday morning. Played one match, was experiencing lag and quit around half way. started another match, played through the whole game just fine and won. screen said victory then the game ended. then immediately after this, it informs me i'm banned for quitting games.
explain?

Explain what exactly? This is NOT a 343 website so we cannot explain why the system banned you. My best guess would be that since you experienced lag initially, there was a problem with the connection. The last match you quit was likely the last one recorded before the limit was imposed. Knowing the systwm, it is logical to assume that the lag prevented the ban from reaching your end before you started another match.

Although it cannot be proved outside an official 343 response, this does seem reasonable as I have never heard of a ban taking place mid game.

just got home from work, haven't played halo since yesterday morning. Played one match, was experiencing lag and quit around half way. started another match, played through the whole game just fine and won. screen said victory then the game ended. then immediately after this, it informs me i'm banned for quitting games.

explain?

You quit a match and got banned, but of course due to the server lag you got into another match before you were given the banned. This is something anyone can do. You can quit your matches, and find one more, and as soon as that one ends you will be banned for quitting the previous game. Also, you quit one match? Very doubtful, you had to quit at least 3 to get a ban. 

Although it cannot be proved outside an official 343 response, this does seem reasonable as I have never heard of a ban taking place mid game.

There is such a thing, but not taking place mid-game as it waits until the match is over.

• 1 month later...

I was playing today and yesterday and had no kicks for lagging or just leaving the game in general HOWEVER today I lagged out for the first time in forever but instead of just letting me have this one, IT BANS ME FOR AN HOUR. the other day it did the same but it banned me for 7 HOURS. the banned system is broken and is very inconsistent. Really ruined my day...

• 4 months later...

I've had some pretty epic matches lately. I mean seriously kicking ass like this was Halo2 and Bungie was at the helm again. Every single winning match, down to the game, boots me from the session right before I can get credit for it, then blames me like I quit. I mean MVP status over and over, but seems like 343 hates the hardcore halo fans. Must be trying to water the server populations down to enhance the CoD-like experience they've been trying to replace halo with. Keep booting/banning me 343, alienating the guys who've invested in a great halo experience will get you exactly what you're looking for.