Bans for Having a Life?

Shlugendah

So I've been playing Halo online since Halo 2.  Never got into LANS with Halo, but I've played a lot of the Halos.  I've always appreciated the love Bungie put into the community, and 343 seems to be doing a pretty good job from what I've seen.  Ban hammers for jerks and griefers and cheaters; bring it on.  Habitual quitters?  Ban 'em.  Boosters? Ban 'em.  But I have this thing called a life.  I'm a grown up!  I have a job, a house, and a family.  I have actual live chickens in my yard.  I have kids.  Sometimes those things don't always cooperate when I want to play video games.  Kids are crying?  I have to go help take care of the older sibling who is harassing the smaller ones.  Chickens are freaking out?  I have to go chase a raccoon away.  (I really should have a shotgun)  But doing these things, sometimes catches me in the middle of a game.  It doesn't happen often, I think I've counted 3 times I've been banned for a time.  But when I come back from the 5 minute ordeal, I find a ban screen with tiny print I always fail to read before I press A that told me how long I'm banned for.  People in my party are now without a player and can't join any games for, I don't know how long< so I have to back out of the lobby.  I may just call it a night for Halo, and start playing Fallout.  

The point is, being AFK for 3-5 minutes once a month should not initiate the BanHammer of doom for however long.  If I did it several times a day, every day, sure.  

Please fix this, 343.  I love your game, but I don't have time for being banned.  Thanks you

• Like 2

I agree that the AFK censors are a bit quick, I hit this problem quite often, when I'm watching my brothers. 

Although we are not 343 and can not do anything directly, you should post your concerns at Halo Waypoint, that is were 343 is located.

HOWEVER, we encourage you to stick around, you seem like a fan of the game series (and you don't sound crazy either) stick around get to know us, we only bite a little ;)

• Like 1

I thought it'd take more than a mere 2-3 time AFK disconnect. Though the problem is in such a competetive Arena game you're really bringing your team down by being AFK, even for 5 minutes.

Try to make sure that you can finish your game. Usually a game takes 10 minutes in Arena at most so try to have those 10 minutes clear to ensure you finishing the game.

• 1 month later...

I specifically logged on and will continue to try to find the right 343 thread to address this issue. Being a halo fan since Halo 1 and selling literally thousands of your games for my former company, I am shocked at how quickly i received a ban. Im finishing my last semester as a law student, so I barely have time to breath, but tonight was the first time I got to actually play in a couple of weeks. I've always finished my games and this evening after to Warzone games to warm up I accidentally clicked on the team area instead of team slayer. Anyways, I finished my game of slayer only to find out I had been banned from playing Halo 5. I'm really holding back from four letter words I want to use right now. All I can say is if this continues and my ban, which should not be in place to begin with , I will gladly pick up COD or wait on the Division to come out to satisfy the few hours I can week to enjoy my gaming time. In essence, 343 FIX THIS.

This is NOT 343 Industries website nor are we affiliated in any way with ANY Microsoft IP. We are a fan site only, so there is no "correct thread" to post in to achieve your desired result. For direct "possibly be seen" posting, you need to go to their official site which is Halowaypoint.com.

Now to respond to this thread and it's posters.....

Please stop attempting to lay blame on anyone but yourselves. It is not the fault of the system or Microsoft/343 for your poor choices or inability to dedicate any uninterupted time to the game. Before you decide to lash back and again try to lame blame, I am a father of 2 with a full time food industry job. NOBODY knows time restraints and being busy like a food industry employee.

Yet for all my busy dealings with family, secondary schooling and work, I have NEVER been banned from matchmaking or had to quit out of a match because I "I have a life", or because "my personal responsabilities called". As an adult I planned my gaming time and ensured that outside a hospital visit or other emergency, I had the time to sit and actually play.

All to often do I see grown men and women complain that it isn't their fault. That somehow it's the games fault because it is too sensitive. Just stop, and own up to your own inability to complete games. Stop blaming others for your actions and quoting the need to be "consciderate". Only YOU see your own problems as more important than the other gamers on your team or the opposite team. Is it fair to them that you quit and slid the scales of balance? Do you think they care that your kid spilled chocolate milk on the carpet? Should it be the responsability of the developers to plan, execute and institutionalize a system that caters to you?

The obvious answer is no. When you buy a game and subscribe to "Online Interactions", you agree to a set of terms that outline the fact that NO online experience is guaranteed or contracted to work how you want it to. When you gk online to play, you do so at YOUR own risk and on your own terms. Quit looking for ways to blame others, demand refunds or escape penalties for bad behavios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I had to leave a game because my kid fell and I didn't want to be AFK and rack up kills for the other team. Figured they'd have a better chance 3 on 4 then me being a free target. 1 quit in I don't know how long and I was banned for a period of time. It's just getting frustrating when non habitual offenders get punished. At least I wish 343 would add an appeal process.