What's up with the texture online?

Goodels

Hey,

I've noticed a few things going on with the texture in Halo 5. It doesn't seem as sharp as previous Halos. I was wondering what was up with it? In all the maps the texture just seems to be a lower quality then it use to be? Is it because of the 60 fps? For me, texture quality is important. It helps immerse me into the game. I'm just hoping Halo 6 will have better texture quality, it drives me up a wall sometimes when I'm playing and I feel like I'm playing Halo 1. Is there any way to update the texture in an update?

Thanks.

Hey,

I've noticed a few things going on with the texture in Halo 5. It doesn't seem as sharp as previous Halos. I was wondering what was up with it? In all the maps the texture just seems to be a lower quality then it use to be? Is it because of the 60 fps? For me, texture quality is important. It helps immerse me into the game. I'm just hoping Halo 6 will have better texture quality, it drives me up a wall sometimes when I'm playing and I feel like I'm playing Halo 1. Is there any way to update the texture in an update?

Thanks.

I've noticed that too. While some of it might be down to the art style it is as far as I can tell the 60fps that brings is down. More specifically the dynamic resolution 343 is doing makes everything look as you described. Not as sharp and a lot of times, last gen. Not like graphics matter a whole lot but still. Its a point worth making. :) 

But no, there is no way to update the textures.

It's using Dynamic Resolution. What that means is in order to preserve 60fps in surround visuals, the game must sacrifice textures and model animation rates to keep the game at a solid 60fps.

While this is a smart system for consoles, it's very noticeable here due to the art that the textures are formed from in the first place.

So what that means, being point blank offers the best textures, as soon as you start taking a foot back from the object, you're going to notice drop offs in quality.

• Like 1

LOD's would be to blame for this, not Dynamic Resolution.  60 fps also has nothing to do with performance or quality of textures.  Blam! loads textures into memory and the performance cost is extremely low on the engine side.  Unless they actually used each texture bitmap at a 32-bit true color which is the most intensive for Blam to run, it all comes down to the graphical layer of the engine and the mip maps quality used.

The lighting is also extremely poor for a next gen engine.  I wasn't expecting a whole lot since 343 hasn't bothered to really do a complete re-write of the Blam! engine like Bungie did back for Halo 3.  Lighting also has a lot to do with how textures are displayed and the shader usage is just as important.  Again, since we are really only in the 2nd year of actual next gen console development support, I didn't expect a major leap forward like everyone was.

Creating a massive environment with truly stunning effects/textures takes a lot of time and trial and error and a whole lot of time developing things more efficient and finding new ways to enhance and break ground.  I wouldn't honestly expect to see anything 1/100th next gen in scale until Halo 6.

On a side note, Halo 4 and 5 do not use really bitmap that ranges over 1024x1024 in resolution.  Most bitmaps are 1024x512, 512x512 or 1024x1024.  In terms of bitmap quality, this is exactly the type of bitmap quality used in Crysis 1.  Other games for the past 5 years have had better texture compression and usage.  CoD regularly uses 1024 and 2048 quality textures.

Edited by Twinreaper

• 2 weeks later...

It is if you actually look for it. I ignore anything around me to kill what's in front of me

Can I also assume that when you go to areas of a mission that don't require you to kill anything, that you close your eyes?  You don't need to concentrate or look for anything.  washed out, poor resolution and horrible quality textures are noticeable regardless of what is going on.

• Like 2

Can I also assume that when you go to areas of a mission that don't require you to kill anything, that you close your eyes? You don't need to concentrate or look for anything. washed out, poor resolution and horrible quality textures are noticeable regardless of what is going on.

No, I look for teammates and get to them to help not looking at the textures or complaining about it