g

PermaNUll

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I'm against any type of H2V being brought back from the dead or being revitalized....unfortunately it just won't happen.  For about 5 years now the team from Monstrmoose and H2MT have made attempts to open and expand upon H2V and the content potential it has.  sadly, due to the fact that a LOT of the original game has been stripped in terms of what can be done to modify and enhance it, it never gained traction.

Going into my 7th year of map making and tag recreation, the H2V community is down to about 100 people, most being of hispanic world geography.  What I have learned about Halo in general on the PC, is that people are dumb.  People tend to play the same re garbled crap over and over and seem to not really be interested in custom content, at least not to the extent that Halo CE produced.  Generally speaking, the game is dead and no one really cares about it anymore.

I'm not trying to be negative or dismay any attempt you make, but it is a sad reality.  This isn't just some guess work or some other "out of my arse" speaking either.  This is coming from me...the Co-Leader of the H2MT and the only group to ever be officially endorsed by Microsoft for 3rd party Halo 2 content.

I wish there was a way to bring this game to what potential it had, but it's been far too long and with Microsoft now never seeming to be interested in fixing the server listing issue the game has had for a month now, I don't see any point in continuing to work on it.  Like me, you would be better off spending time crafting and holding out content for another PC Halo if and when it ever comes.

Oh, I miss Custom Edition... I barely knew what I was doing, but playing a modded/custom map was just a spectacular feeling. Coldsnap and Hugea++ were just mindblowing in my young age, and fueled a fire for me to figure out how to get my own visions created... Then Halo Reach came out and for some reason, that feeling just died like a stone dropped into the ocean.

But, I haven't had as big of a heart throb for Halo 2, so I guess the point is moot.. Especially considering Twin's appearance in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2015 at 8:10 PM, Twinreaper said:

Not that I'm against any type of H2V being brought back from the dead or being revitalized....unfortunately it just won't happen.  For about 5 years now the team from Monstrmoose and H2MT have made attempts to open and expand upon H2V and the content potential it has.  sadly, due to the fact that a LOT of the original game has been stripped in terms of what can be done to modify and enhance it, it never gained traction.

Going into my 7th year of map making and tag recreation, the H2V community is down to about 100 people, most being of hispanic world geography.  What I have learned about Halo in general on the PC, is that people are dumb.  People tend to play the same re garbled crap over and over and seem to not really be interested in custom content, at least not to the extent that Halo CE produced.  Generally speaking, the game is dead and no one really cares about it anymore.

I'm not trying to be negative or dismay any attempt you make, but it is a sad reality.  This isn't just some guess work or some other "out of my arse" speaking either.  This is coming from me...the Co-Leader of the H2MT and the only group to ever be officially endorsed by Microsoft for 3rd party Halo 2 content.

I wish there was a way to bring this game to what potential it had, but it's been far too long and with Microsoft now never seeming to be interested in fixing the server listing issue the game has had for a month now, I don't see any point in continuing to work on it.  Like me, you would be better off spending time crafting and holding out content for another PC Halo if and when it ever comes.

Edited by PermaNUll

Just so you know, scripts don't sync across clients.  Scripts have to be continous so they are constantly active and applied.  Unless your talking about server side python or lua scripting...in which case again it's pointless as people don't generally like to create maps that rely on gameplay via server scripting to enhance it.

As I stated previously, I have been patient for 7+ years and there is absolutely nothing that can be added or tried that already hasn't been done to expand or improve H2V.  Which is why the biggest advocates, the H2MT the team I still Co-Lead is all but abandoned and disbanded.

On 11/13/2015 at 6:21 PM, Twinreaper said:

Just so you know, scripts don't sync across clients.  Scripts have to be continous so they are constantly active and applied.  Unless your talking about server side python or lua scripting...in which case again it's pointless as people don't generally like to create maps that rely on gameplay via server scripting to enhance it.

As I stated previously, I have been patient for 7+ years and there is absolutely nothing that can be added or tried that already hasn't been done to expand or improve H2V.  Which is why the biggest advocates, the H2MT the team I still Co-Lead is all but abandoned and disbanded.

Edited by PermaNUll

The server sided scripting is more on the side for universal game variants no matter the maps.

The added scripting I'm speaking of is for the internal syntax in map stuff, and we can force it to sync things that aren't currently synced very easily... just take a look at what Open Sauce  has done for Halo CE.

Certain things sync yes, but not all.  Since OS style scripting support has never been tried on H2V it' hard to tell what exact items or limits it will have.  Aside from boring gametypes made popular with Halo 3, the major focus of a good add-on would be a Firefight style map.  But for that to happen we need the tools to actually make bipeds and enable the single_player engine in multiplayer without additional apps running it like Ambiguous.

Kantanamo, it's been a while broski.  Whether or not this is going to be good has yet to be seen.  I'm more interested in furthing tag delepoment rather than server scripting to support gametypes I care nothing about.  The action starts with maps and content, not gametypes.

Edited by Twinreaper

Well what Permanulled is pursuing right now is hooking core engine functions and making a working concept out of them. With my knowledge of how the games core tag system from unpacked raw tags all the way to browsing the maps internal map that contains both the shared.map and the current map. It could be possible to make it so we could side load tags into the game on existing maps either using their raw unpacked format or having them as a third loaded shared resources file. Which would allow for a lot new game modes and game play without having to download whole new maps. If he finishes this arms race mode, we would have already hooked the functions for game mode loading.

Just put the two things together, and we have the opportunity to have new content on older maps without even repacking them into a cache, or extracting the BSP.

But we still lack any method of compiling raw or not, animations, bipeds, regions, permutations, machines, etc...

I'm all for extending features of the game, but without custom tag work it's pointless.  I'm tired of recreatiing physics and collisions models by hand, using hundreds of custom cubes or reusing animations that semi fit a new weapon.