Halo 5: Psychological Aspects and the Future of the Master Chief

AnneKathrin Zarnecke

Hi guys, I'm completely new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes. :)

I recently read the topic concerning the Master Chief and his process of losing Cortana, and whether or not the upcoming games will become more psychological than the others before. I loved the ideas and do hope that it will change the way we see him. I'm about to write an article about that topic and for that, would love to hear some other opinions concerning some things.

• The extreme masculine image of the Master Chief and his training to become more or less a "heartless killing machine". Would you like to see him more as a human, see the cracks in his facade and maybe even face psychological illnesses like depression?
  • What do you think about the other playable characters? Is your interest in the game lessened because it's not just about the Master Chief, or are you interested in seeing some other faces (some already known like Kelly)
  • I'm a big fan of the books and I'm really sad that most of the lore didn't make it into most of the games. I'm thinking about the process of becoming a spartan (like in the upcoming shortfilm) and all the horrible consequences and things they have to face. Would you be interested in a prologue kinda game, where it is all about the history? (just thinking about the setting in general) 

Sooo, I do hope I get some interesting answers because it's always interesting to think about games a little bit more "human" than we do most of the time. :)

• Like 3

I'm not an expert in the lore (far from it, actually) but I definitely would love to play a Halo game that teaches me something new about the universe.

As for psychological aspects of the game, I wouldn't mind seeing Chief be much more human. I feel like, despite him being a super soldier and whatnot, the lack of lore makes him a rather flat character; The voice actor's great, but Chief just seems to lack the proper amount of character to actually be likable. Sure, eh kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything, but we don't have any kind of idea how he breaks the situation down in his head (at least, those of us that have only read a couple of the books don't).

But, I'm still trying to remain dark until I can get my hands on the game and find out for myself.

First off, welcome to the site! Great post, it's always exciting to find others who are fascinated by the Halo Universe and lore. 

I think what 343 is mainly focusing on since Halo 4 is the Chief's humanity, showing that he can't be the stoic, unfeeling figure Bungie created him as forever. this concept was actually further explored in Mortal Dictata with Naomi as well. Her emotions and beliefs as a Spartan II were tested upon the issue of reuniting with her father. I think we've already started to see some cracks in John's personality and that they use his cracked visor as a metaphor for this i.e. he is breakable. A common belief is that Chief is overworking himself without taking any breaks from missions because he cannot live a resting life and must distract himself from the loss of his closest companion Cortana. 

I think adding other playable characters, especially Blue team makes the game all the more special. Following the two sides of the story from the "protagonists'" view and sense of "justice" should make for a fantastic story that will leave the audience sympathizing and routing for both sides. 

I think 343 actually did an excellent job of tying the lore from previous and contemporary novels into their Hunt the truth campaign and Halo 5.  

As for a prologue game, I don't think I'd be interested in any more war-time stories unless it was a character developing game about a character of upcoming importance or to give more background on an already important character.  

• Like 1

That's one hell of an opening post. We don't get many of them... but we should!

Moving on

• I think we're already more on the way of seeing more of the Chief's human side. Halo 4 is already shows more of his character than all 3 games that came before combined. Now with Halo 5 and the Blue Team reunion we'll only get to see more of his personality. I love it!
  • More playable characters than the already rather large pool we have in H5 would make things a tad too confusing I think. Some people are already kinda in the dark by the entirety of Blue Team's and Team Osiris' background and adding even more playable characters onto that would just get messy. I'm all for more secondary (unplayable) side characters in both games and books though!
  • A prologue game could be interesting, but would most likely result in boring gameplay. I just read through the Fall of Reach and there aren't many sequences that can be translated into exciting gameplay without leaving massive timegaps. I'd settle for a prologue movie rather than a game.

Great post! :thumbup:

Hi guys, I'm completely new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes. smile.png

I recently read the topic concerning the Master Chief and his process of losing Cortana, and whether or not the upcoming games will become more psychological than the others before. I loved the ideas and do hope that it will change the way we see him. I'm about to write an article about that topic and for that, would love to hear some other opinions concerning some things.

• The extreme masculine image of the Master Chief and his training to become more or less a "heartless killing machine". Would you like to see him more as a human, see the cracks in his facade and maybe even face psychological illnesses like depression?
  • What do you think about the other playable characters? Is your interest in the game lessened because it's not just about the Master Chief, or are you interested in seeing some other faces (some already known like Kelly)
  • I'm a big fan of the books and I'm really sad that most of the lore didn't make it into most of the games. I'm thinking about the process of becoming a spartan (like in the upcoming shortfilm) and all the horrible consequences and things they have to face. Would you be interested in a prologue kinda game, where it is all about the history? (just thinking about the setting in general) 
Sooo, I do hope I get some interesting answers because it's always interesting to think about games a little bit more "human" than we do most of the time. smile.png

1 Would I like to see him be more of an actual character?

Yes I would but judging from the first few missions I've seen of Halo 5 and counting the stuff in Halo 4 we will definitely be seeing a different side to Chief in Halo 5 and future Halo games (Presuming he survives)

2 What do I think of other playable characters?

Cool I guess. Its just adds multiple perspectives to a story and so I'm totally fine with it because it gives a broader outlook. So I'm all for it.

3 Book stuff.

There is a reason a lot of lore did not make it in to the earlier ones, because the lore was not around then. :D

Its almost become a Star wars like problem when a lot of stuff that is said in the earlier games make no sense now in the context of the newer games.

"Would you be interested in a prologue kinda game, where it is all about the history? (just thinking about the setting in general)"

I don't think that would work. If you want to know about that stuff just go read the books or some such.

That's what they are for after all.