343i - Progress on Halo 6 already started!

Wam

Halo 5 isn't even here yet and 343 already has a foothold in the next game. In an upcoming Golden Joysticks Halo 5 special, 343's Frank O’Connor and Bonnie Ross talk about the future of the series, including talk of a "fictional foundation" for the next 20 years. That's a lot of Master Chief.

It seems 343 is moving on again. Small groups of people at 343 have already started the creative process, and even a few lines.

"We do kind of know what’s going to happen in the next game pretty well at this point," explains franchise development director Frank O’Connor. "We’re doing serious real planning and even some writing on the next game already, and that’s a luxury – we’ve never been in that position before. So we both know at a very high level what’s going to happen in, say, ten years from now. But at that very granular level knowing what’s going to happen in the next game and that’s just been a great feeling for me." 

As it appears, Bonnie is mobilizing Frank O'Connor and a few teams to "really lay the fictional foundation for the next 20 years." Bonnie also points out that several ideas playing a part in Halo 6 are already layed out. Stating they had to know where they were going by the end of Halo 4. Frank O'Connor has displayed caution, however in this, saying that starting too soon and too fast could change Halo's world and change plans. 

Frankie says:

" ... [if] you start making those stepping stones too rigid, then you’re not being realistic about the game development process. That process could change the story but we know what’s going to happen in the next game, and we kind of know what’s going to happen to the Master Chief ultimately. "

Halo 5 is finished. Halo 6 is (probably has been) in development!

source:

http://343i.org/36m

• Like 5

Well of course when you plan a narrative for a saga, that has books and other media coming into it, it's right to plan ahead. Not too surprising. Now my question is: is Halo 6 the last Halo starring Master Chief.

You know unless he dies in 5.

Gud news wam

Also.

Flood. Now.

[/spoiler

• Like 1

This could only be good news. :)

Because as watching the Star wars prequel trilogy has shown, making things up as you go along isn't a good thing.

Hence why Darth Maul, the best new character in the prequels was killed off because Lucas didn't have a plan for him, only to realise he could use someone like that in episode 2 so he created the character of Dooku.

So he created a whole new character that gets killed off in the next film when he could have used the same character who has some serious beef against Obi wan and more connection to the plot.

• Like 1

They've had these plans laid out since 2010 when Halo Legends came out but it's good that Frankie is reminding everyone that they've been thinking about these things for a while. I wouldn't imagine them to be taking this lightly either especially depending on how Halo 5 goes. I mean it looks like the best game to ever hit the One yet but there's always room for unexpected disappointment.

PS rrhuntington is a Gravemind confirmed.

• Like 1

When things go unplanned it is always possible for it to be an absolutely amazing fluke, just like with some of my controlled assessment grades ;). However, it will always be even better if planned which is why this is a good thing :D

While Halo 4 may have seemed to have been just 'compiled' together by a 3 year old that knows C++, it definitely had some sort of a plan behind it and it was most certainly just a lore foundation for the future games and this is why Halo 5 is so highly anticipated; because by the looks of thing 343i definitely know what they're doing and do know how to bring the fans back ;D.

• Like 1