Someone PLEASE help me!!

RhiRun

Ok, so my Halo Reach matchmaking hasn't worked in three weeks now. Under network settings in the main menu, for upstream bandwidth and packet loss rate it is reading undetected but my NAT is open. Then in the matchmaking lobby it keeps telling me the Halo Reach server is unavailable at this time. EVERY other game I own works fine with matchmaking. It is just the Halo games. Same with Halo 3 and ODST. PLEASE someone help me. I have bought a new modem, doesn't work. I have switched ISPs, it does not work. What the hell could be wrong?? I've already reset the modem and the internet and cleared the cache on my xbox and reset my xbox's network settings to factory and reset them up. I have tried all those normal things. This is a serious issue I am having so please don't respond with "reset your xbox's internet settings". And my disc is not scratched, plus I have two copies of it and neither works.

• 2 weeks later...

i had this problem (note HAD). are you running on a xbox wireless adapter? if so. go out and buy yourself an ethernet cable (length depends on how far away your xbox is from your router/modem). i was running on an adapter and every single time i had that problem pop up. i connected up to a ethernet cable and now i run smoother than a baby's backside... also try moving the xbox to another room if you can. for some very strange reason when i took my xbox into my brother's room and connected via adapter i had no problem, but when i put it in my room. i had the same problem again.

Ok, I will try to make this as painless as possible. NAT and wether you are using a wired or wireless connection are really only half the problem. While enbaling NAT to open does solve some connections issues, there are other factors that do not help.

1. DMZ Server. By default, the router may be blocking certain internet requests over udp/tcp by default, regardless of wether NAT is open. TO solve this, you need to specify the DMZ server passthrough, with the Static or DHCP IP of the xbox console.

2. Ports Ports Ports. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the XBox LIve ports being opened and forwarded to the xbox console only. SOme other devices or applications in the house or whereever, may be trying to use the same port as the console. Obviously forwarding all traffic for those ports to the console only, solves that issue.

3. Actual IP for Xbox. Most people just simply plug-in, powerup their xbox and go! Not so fast. If you ahve multiple devices in your house, it is best to manually assign an IP to them. Remember how I was saying to specify and port forward blah blah DMZ? Well that only works if the Xbox's IP stays the same. If you dont specify manually an IP for it to use, it will randomly be given one based off the IP Range set in the router.

4. Even if you dont have Wi-Fi connection, the modem itself that you got from the provider had properties that you may want to go into and change.

One of the most overlooked things to do is port forwarding. If everyone who runs Live did the steps above I outlined, I gurantee you would see a huge difference in MM gameplay and hosting.

Ok, I will try to make this as painless as possible. NAT and wether you are using a wired or wireless connection are really only half the problem. While enbaling NAT to open does solve some connections issues, there are other factors that do not help.

1. DMZ Server. By default, the router may be blocking certain internet requests over udp/tcp by default, regardless of wether NAT is open. TO solve this, you need to specify the DMZ server passthrough, with the Static or DHCP IP of the xbox console.

2. Ports Ports Ports. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the XBox LIve ports being opened and forwarded to the xbox console only. SOme other devices or applications in the house or whereever, may be trying to use the same port as the console. Obviously forwarding all traffic for those ports to the console only, solves that issue.

3. Actual IP for Xbox. Most people just simply plug-in, powerup their xbox and go! Not so fast. If you ahve multiple devices in your house, it is best to manually assign an IP to them. Remember how I was saying to specify and port forward blah blah DMZ? Well that only works if the Xbox's IP stays the same. If you dont specify manually an IP for it to use, it will randomly be given one based off the IP Range set in the router.

4. Even if you dont have Wi-Fi connection, the modem itself that you got from the provider had properties that you may want to go into and change.

One of the most overlooked things to do is port forwarding. If everyone who runs Live did the steps above I outlined, I gurantee you would see a huge difference in MM gameplay and hosting.

GOD MAN THTS TOO PAINFULL

Ive had the same problem and Ive been asking most of my local friends if they got the same thing (so far no response)

Everytime I want to play online matchmaking on Halo's 3 and Reach. It always says the server is down and try again later. one to two weeks later, its the same story, downed server. I really don't know what the story is... I check on some other people and they work fine, thought I guess its because of where they are. But everything else like Gears, Assassins, etc works fine, some minor ofs but no major concern

Maybe 343i don't have an Australia/oceania server. Wish they did (Not sure if thats the issues, but that would something, I want to go online for reach again). But if there are other mains, I like to know

Read this Bobo and see if it helps.

• 1 month later...

What the? But we never used to have this issue until the update?

It doesn't say anywhere on the game when you buy it: 'User will need to have a degree in IT to play this game online.'

I don't mean to be so brash, but look at it from our perspective.

I have, like many others, played every Halo game on Xbox. And now a percentage of us simply cannot.

I was initially told by XBOX live that the issue was with any persons with an IP address starting with 101.

This turned out not to be the case, as I have now changes ISP.

There are some guides for port forwarding, but they are all for people using a router.

I am using wireless ICS (internet connection sharing) through my laptop.

Are you able to explain how to open ports using ICS please?

You have to agree though, this is ridiculous. Any chance of a refund for Halo Reach? Seeing as I can't play it online, and the online aspect of the game is the main part!

It's the way Live handles connections in general. Reach is the first time we were given the "forced" player host scenario. back during Halo 3, one had to glitch the system to get to be host. By being a host, your bandwidth and system is responsable for delivery in-game data the same way a dedicated server would. The problem is, the method in which a host is selected is less than perfect..in fact it just plain sucks.

The TU update is causing a majority of the issues due to the fact that besides the standard host issues, the TU is using MegaloScript to edit tag values in memory to achieve the playlist changes like zero bloom, AA effect reduction, etc... All of these things come at a higher memory and cpu thread price. Even though each console does this when in matchmaking, it is still up to your console to sync the game data across all clients.

Ok, I understood some of that! ;)

Thanks for putting some light on the subject though.

I will try the ICS port forwarding that you suggested and will post to this thread tomorrow with how I went.

And if it works, and I am able to finally play halo again, you will be my favorite person I have never met! :P

Hmmm, it appears my IP does still start with 101! Is there a know issue with this IP address, and if yes, is there a way to resolve the issue?

If there is no way to resolve the issue, will there be an update or something that will enable us 101'ers to play sometime soon?

Hi there, me again... I started the whole port forwarding saga, but it turns out that my IP address does still start with 101 after all.

So I join the ten's of thousands of people who can't play halo, due to having the wrong IP address...

Can someone at 343 please let us know if there is a work-around for this... I thought about IP masking software, but I think this only works with your selected browser, so this is a no go.

I have rang both my ISP's and both of them are un-willing or un-able to change the IP.

So, where does this leave us all...?

It leaves us in the hands of 343 industries, who are hopefully aware of this issue, and are also, hopefully, working on a fix?

Can someone there please confirm that? I think you owe us that much... ;) Thanks!

• 1 month later...

So, I've been unable to get past the "looking for players" message since the launch of Anniversary.

All required ports are forwarded on the router.

XBox is set to the same static local IP I gave it the day I bought it (192.168.0.101) (coincidentally ending with a 101)

XBox is in the DMZ

XBox reads as NAT open

62.***.***.**** is my IP, so unlikely a "101" issue

All games but Reach work fine in matchmaking

120 meg connection (so not a speed issue)

Any suggestions on a fix?

So, I've been unable to get past the "looking for players" message since the launch of Anniversary.

All required ports are forwarded on the router.

XBox is set to the same static local IP I gave it the day I bought it (192.168.0.101) (coincidentally ending with a 101)

XBox is in the DMZ

XBox reads as NAT open

62.***.***.**** is my IP, so unlikely a "101" issue

All games but Reach work fine in matchmaking

120 meg connection (so not a speed issue)

Any suggestions on a fix?

Sunyavadin please post in Twin's Tech Help thread, he usually has a very good and accurate answer. Sorry to here of your troubles.