Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has passed away at age 55.

gaming-satoru-iwata-1.jpg

An official statement issued by Nintendo has reported that long time Nintendo president Satoru Iwata passes away at age 55  due to a bile duct growth for which he has previously been treated for. He did not attend E3 2014 because of the treatment for his condition. 

He first began with the company by working with HAL(game development studio who are closely affiliated with Nintendo) during 1983 after graduating with a degree in Computer Science. He would later become president of HAL in 1993. He was responsible for creating games the likes of Kirby and EarthBound during his time with HAL. He later then took a position at Nintendo in 2000 in corporate and just 2 years later in 2002 became Nintendo's fourth president. He also helped work on popular franchises such as Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing. 

This news is a tremendous loss to Nintendo fans. A highly respectable CEO who even cut his pay in 2014 after the Wii U's poor sales. He was a perfect fit for Nintendo. 

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata GDC 2005

Miyamoto_Sucking_Iwata.gif

iwata-luigis.gif

Even if you do not like Nintendo take a moment to appreciate that Iwata was not just a CEO. He loved games just as much as any of us and was never afraid to laugh or crack cheesy Nintendo jokes. He respected the industry a move few CEO's don't make. 

Rest in peace Iwata. 

source: http://343i.org/32r

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 7

From the Excellent piece written above, he sounded like a swell guy and knew how to lead by example. A True Gamer's Gamer.

R.I.P

doQ5S9x.png

huehuehue. Ledgend told'em.

Edited by rrhuntington
  • Like 1

As much as I didn't like him too much ( I suppose he had his redeeming moments though )

I am still sadden by his death and its sad he is dead, you know. The loss of life is almost always somewhat sad no matter who it is.

Hope his family and Nintendo recovers well from his loss. :)

The thing that is really sad, but extremely remarkable - Is that if he didn't give his contributions to what gaming is a whole, we wouldn't have half as much as we have today. It's just sad to see the guy leave us at such a young age.

Every bit of the games that we have, we must give credit to Iwata-san for, because he truly showed passion to this community. 

The gaming industry has surely lost one of its best... 

R.I.P Iwata-san - You'll live on in all of us.

• Like 1