343 Please read this, others help spread this message, please.

Dear 343, I'm sure your inboxes are filled with mail from outraged or upset fans that have lashed out in unreasonable ways, but I am not here to do that, I'm just gonna what I want to say, and hope it is a compelling argument for you.

I am upset with your decision to make your "requisition packs" paid DLC, I understand people are willing to pay for the extra visuals and that is completly optional, but super customization has always been free in previous Halo games, and is something that made the game special and removing that is doing the game a dis-service.

I could live with this, however, if scplit-screen was still in the game.  I remember back in 2002 when the Original Xbox launched I was 5 years old and my dad bought one to play his NFL and Baseball games on, but one day I went into the store with him and saw Halo: Combat Evolved on one of the shelves, and I instantly thought to myself "wow

this game looks amazing!  I want it!".  I asked my Dad if he would buy the game for me, and he said "This game is rated M, I'll have to check with your Mom."  And we went home.  Me and my Mom returned to the store later that week and she bought it for me.  I've been playing Halo for almost as long as I can remember and for AS long as I've played video games.

But the thing I remember the most about the Halo games is that me and my parents would play Slayer together all the time, and we all really enjoyed it(on split-screen).  And I remember most of all, me and my Mother playing Split-screen Co-op in Halo's campaign, It was really a bonding experience for me and my family.

In 2012 Halo 4 launched and I was at the midnight release(my mom took me, even though she had work the next day) and then the next day when she got home from work me and her played split-screen together almost the entire day.  And removing this feature from Halo, one that has been in every Halo game since Combat Evolved, is an insult to those

who have been fans of the series since the beggining, and an in-justice to the game itself, witch deserved to have split-screen.  I understand that you think it would compermise the gameplay expirience, but all the other Halo games managed to do split-screen with good graphics on the Xbox-360!  So if the Xbox One can't handle that then that is a problem.

Also I believe that you could make the graphically quality LOWER, but only when in split-screen mode, that is, I believe, the way that all the other Halo games did it.  (Also you should re-add the motion blur from Halo: Reach, and the reflection affects on the metal, it was very good looking and made the game more immersive for me.)

Removing playable elites, this is something easily fixable, you have the models, you could pull the HUD from Halo 2: anniversary, and the thruster pack situation is easily fixable, I read in GameInformer that in the Campaign mission they played the Covenant, or more specifically the Elites, had their own versions of thruster packs.  

This means, they could most likley perform the same moves as the Spartans.  In conclusion, split-screen is the feature I care about you re-adding the most, it's a tradition for both Halo and my family, and while I respect your right to remove it, I am humbley asking that you do not remove it, please consider what Iv'e asked of you.

Many Thanks for reading!

-Captin_Bullets

Wow we've gotten a fair amount of family split-screening stories on here. This issue is seemingly larger than removing Elites from multiplayer.

I play alone and I love that I have no one to share my screen with but I could completely understand, especially after reading the stories, why people are upset and feel that this leaves the game lacking. I agree that they should sacrifice the 30 frames per second for split screen playing as I don't believe it'd take away from the experience that much but there really must be more of an issue than that if they couldn't put it in right from the beginning (I think). 

I hope 343 reads yours and everyone else's letters. 

^
^

Wut, it seems like everyone suddenly plays crappy Halo 4, 4 screen co-op. biggrin.png
I don't think so.

Lets clear a few things up, Halo 5's development is done, nothing major like Elites or 4 player split screen is going to be added.

Now to clear more stuff up.

"I am upset with your decision to make your "requisition packs" paid DLC"

But instead of map packs that isolate massive parts of the community we now have these requisition packs, a worthy trade off yes? Halo 5 is going to receive 20 free maps after launch if I remember correctly.

"but super customization has always been free in previous Halo games"

Apart from Halo Reach, Halo has never really had super good customisation apart from perhaps changing your colour of you armour.

"But the thing I remember the most about the Halo games is that me and my parents would play Slayer together all the time"

Key word is remember, you remember playing splitscreen a lot, do you do anymore? Probably not.

"In 2012 Halo 4 launched and I was at the midnight release(my mom took me, even though she had work the next day) and then the next day when she got home from work me and her played split-screen together almost the entire day. And removing this feature from Halo, one that has been in every Halo game since Combat Evolved, is an insult to those who have been fans of the series since the beggining, and an in-justice to the game itself"

1 You mean your Mom had work later in the day ( you seem to forget how our concept of time works )
Midnight is at 12am so by the time you got back home your Mom would have got to go to work later in the day.
2 Once again, you played it the entire day and from an educated guess you hardly ever did again.
3 Its not that big of an insult
4 I wasn't aware the game had feelings. "It is an injustice to the game itself"
5 You need to proof read and learn how to grammerz.

"So if the Xbox One can't handle that then that is a problem"

A problem that is not going to be fixed, ever.

good graphics on the Xbox-360! So if the Xbox One can't handle that then that is a problem.

"Also I believe that you could make the graphically quality LOWER, but only when in split-screen mode, that is, I believe, the way that all the other Halo games did it. (Also you should re-add the motion blur from Halo: Reach, and the reflection affects on the metal, it was very good looking and made the game more immersive for me.)"

1 Clearly you know nothing about how the Halo games were made, previous games never lowed their resolution they were usually at 30fps and so were able to do 4 player Co-op. Halo 5 is running at 60fps and cannot do anything more than one player in campaign. ( Locally )
2 This motion blur idea of yours is not going to be added, it is too late in the development though I don't see how it was immersive.

"Removing playable elites, this is something easily fixable, you have the models, you could pull the HUD from Halo 2: anniversary, and the thruster pack situation is easily fixable"

Do you even code? No you don't, its not that easy to just dump a model in a map and copy the Hud from another game.

Putting Elites in would require rebuilding the map from the ground up with entirely new assets in place.
It is not easily fixable at all, learn about coding before you make statements such as this next time. ( Don't take mywords too harshly though )

" I am humbley asking that you do not remove it, please consider what Iv'e asked of you."

Too bad its already gone and was never there!

That's my take on this anyway. Caboose out.

Unless you live in Japan, you DO NOT REMEMBER the Xbox launching in 2002. The Xbox launched in Nov 2001.

I'm not here to squash hopes or make fun of anyone, as I too know the split screen horror of Halo 5. The thing I DO have a problem with, is the way that split screen and video games in general keep being used a "bonding" defense argument. As a father of two myself, video games to me are not bonding. Your both sitting there, hardly talking about anything besides whats going on in the game. Both parties are playing together, bit it is not and should not be confused with bonding. This is the problem with new generations going forward. If it doesn't involve an electronic device or internet....it's useless.

Ok sarcasm and criticism of parenting aside, split screen won't be added. I suspect though that after further investigation, the framerate drop is NOT the only issue here. I think they are using the 30fps excuse at a "best case scenario" level. Honestly, when taking the rendering output of something that is being run at 60fps....it's not cut in half just due to the fact that you are now needing to dual-render for splitscreen. I think the graphical interface layer has trouble with the extra load, and that their 30fps for b9th screens is a tad misleading. It is likely it runs at 25fps with a constant freeze up or studder during gameplay.

• Like 2

Don't worry about the REQ packs being paid DLC. 343i has ensured us that you'll get enough REQ packs by just playing the game. The paid DLC serves only as a convenience for those who don't have the time to play it as much and want to keep up. By paying you won't get any exclusiveness or anything else, eveything can be unlocked by just playing.

Also a part of the income of these REQ pack microtransactions goes towards the HCS (Halo Championship Series) which could use a bit of funding :D

Splitscreen has been a part of Halo... has. It was popular back in the day and I bet we've all played splitscreen with a few buddies. But it's now really worth supporting anymore.

Since the news of splitscreen not being included suddenly everyone appears to be using it everyday while I can't remember the last time when I saw GamerTag(1) in a lobby of Halo. It's a thing of the past and if 343i thinks they need to scrap it for better performance then so be it. And don't give me the "just screw it back to 30fps" stuff because switching from 60 to 30 is a real pain. Screwing down the graphical quality is something that I'm strongly against. Popping textures, jagged edges and reduced view distance doesn't serve a game right.

I also can't see how implementing splitscreen suddenly makes the REQ pack issue non-existent...

Bringing back motion blur is a no. It doesn't make a game look better, it's just annoying. Reflection on metal is still there, only 343i has its own art style.

Elites aren't coming back. This has already been confirmed and I don't see them suddenly coming back on this decision.

I for one am glad that these hunchbacks are gone from multiplayer. The screwed up hitboxes were one of the most annoying things in Halo 3.

Reflections are not part of Halo P34nut and never jave been. What your talking about is simple cubemaps, not RTR. That said the texture creation and useage particularly within the specular and glancing/shadowing has always been less than subpar with Halo.

Also again, fps does not effect the resolution of the displayed graphics. Motion blur looks no worse than Halo running at 60fps without it. Reach is a good example of that.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't 343, so sorry but you're not really going to reach them here. I am upset as well that they removed co op, and I forgot why but it was for a good reason. But if it's supposed to be an advanced Xbox to support Halo 5, I was expecting it to support split screen.