New Member Promotion Structure!

RedStarRocket91

I have to disagree Tyrael. Not to toot my own horn but just my posts, knowledge and reputation should have seen me as Legendary ages ago. Imagine how I felt to see people given such a status just because they held a staff position...and not given on merit, contribution or any other forum attribute. Even horrible staffers can be given the title.

I didn't know Legendary Members had to be staff before this update.  I thought it was genuinely someone who gave back to the community and left for a period of time or have never come back.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

But I guess it isn't even a debate anymore seeing that we're not going to keep our member status. The forum is starting new and I think it's going in a more community-driven direction!

• Like 1

But I guess it isn't even a debate anymore seeing that we're not going to keep our member status. The forum is starting new and I think it's going in a more community-driven direction!

I believe all the current Legendary Members are keeping their ranks Tommy so you're still nice and gold.

• Like 3

Besides, it will take forever for a normal member to get promoted to Legendary anyway.  :laughing: Nothing to worry about besides, it's just a usergroup! Many people contribute to the forums everyday in their own special ways. So in a way, you all are Legendary because you make the forum special and fun! Don't be sad about usergroups, because to me it doesn't matter, what matters is all the awesome members and the community. :) ~Love ya guys. ;)

• Like 4

As of now I have 4,675 posts, roughly. :)

I'm pretty sure I have contributed to this forum, a lot.

Plus I'm going to repost Twins point here " Imagine how I felt to see people given such a status just because they held a staff position...and not given on merit, contribution or any other forum attribute."

I agree that regular members should be given the chance as well.

Nobody who has Legendary status is getting demoted.

Those who currently have the Legendary rank (all 12 of them) have it because they did merit it regardless of your opinion on the matter. Every single one of them is a former staff member, yes, but during their time as staff they contributed to the forum in a big way. 

There is a reason that there haven't been any non-staff legendary members as of yet. This is probably going to read harshly, so I've put a spoiler tag. Click at your own risk.

Those of you, and I am not singling anyone out because there are about five or six, who believe that you deserve Legendary status haven't received it yet for the very same reason you haven't been asked to become staff.

You have contributed quite a bit to the forum, true, but for everything you've contributed you've also taken something away. For every good thing you've done you've also done something bad.

Whether it has been a blatant disregard for the rules or straight up being abusive to those who give their time, energy, and patience to making sure this site runs day to day you take away every contribution you give.

THAT is why you haven't been given Legendary. THAT is why you haven't been made staff. It is because YOU do not have the self control to refrain from being abusive to those around you or to the site itself.

• Like 3

So, I'm finally silver now? O: 

Edit: Guess not... ;-; 

*Grey

And no, you need at least 500 posts or 250 likes. Right now, you're about 150 likes away from Grey, or about 100 posts. You're better off with making those 100 posts than trying for likes.

Good luck.

Edited by Fishy

*Grey

And no, you need at least 500 posts or 250 likes. Right now, you're 150 likes away from Grey, or 114 posts. You're better off with making those 114 posts than trying for likes.

Good luck.

Ohh. I see. Must've misunderstood it.

^
^
^

^

^

You were right Director.... that was harsh.

But I disagree. Granted I have no idea who these members are.

If these five or six people are still active I disagree, if they are as abusive to staff as you claim and disregard the rules all the time, then they should be Banned, simple as. :D

So that is what gives me a feeling some of these five or six maybe not be active, but I also get a feeling some of these people are still active today.

And so if I am right, I disagree. There is no one here who is active at this moment who is anywhere near how you describe them.

Nobody, I cant think of one member who is active who on a regular basis disregards the rules and is abusive to staff and has done so many bad things it outweighs the good. Every post you make contributes to the forum so if one member is that bad..... they must be really bad because that is a lot of good things they have done.

Point is: Anyone who is that bad, should be Banned right now as no active members on this forum right now are like that.

As Bnus said WE AINT CHEAPOS! Every member who is active right now, staff or not is quality member of this forum.

This is what makes this forum so great, every member is awesome.

• Like 2

Nobody who has Legendary status is getting demoted.

Those who currently have the Legendary rank (all 12 of them) have it because they did merit it regardless of your opinion on the matter. Every single one of them is a former staff member, yes, but during their time as staff they contributed to the forum in a big way. 

There is a reason that there haven't been any non-staff legendary members as of yet. This is probably going to read harshly, so I've put a spoiler tag. Click at your own risk.

Those of you, and I am not singling anyone out because there are about five or six, who believe that you deserve Legendary status haven't received it yet for the very same reason you haven't been asked to become staff.

You have contributed quite a bit to the forum, true, but for everything you've contributed you've also taken something away. For every good thing you've done you've also done something bad.

Whether it has been a blatant disregard for the rules or straight up being abusive to those who give their time, energy, and patience to making sure this site runs day to day you take away every contribution you give.

THAT is why you haven't been given Legendary. THAT is why you haven't been made staff. It is because YOU do not have the self control to refrain from being abusive to those around you or to the site itself.

You're claiming that every non-staff, non-legendary member with an above average post count has done a net value of 'nothing' for this community? I'm sure you're trying to make a point as briskly as you possibly can, but that really is harsh like you said.

I don't know if you're referring to those out there with upwards of 5,000 posts or even as low as 300 because there's no one I've seen that fits your description fully

Things have happened with long-time members that might have fit the description 'for a time', and I can tell when you're aggravated by them (...and I'll continue to do it :cat: ), but I believe that the culmination of their influence to this community becomes positive not negative.  

I'll agree that self-control is necessary for a staff member, and they probably don't have that, otherwise they would've been staff already. Your second spoiler paragraph got under my skin is all. 

I don't know if you're referring to those out there with upwards of 5,000 posts or even as low as 300 because there's no one I've seen that fits your description fully

That's because you can't see reports, warning points, or any other disciplinary actions that are the result of member's behaviors. You only see what you see when you're on the forum or what you hear from other forum members.

• Like 1

I may be abusive at times yes. I have disregarded rules in certain cases because of lack of proper and direct action ues. But please don't try to insinuate that the things I do take away from what I jave given. That os a high horse statement. Your blatently saying that anything that happens that involves staff members is nothing but 100% compliancy which in of itself is a bold face lie.

We can all actively count how many blunders, mistakes and other naughty deeds occured by staff members and mods alike. So yes I take issue with that statement directly. You would have been better off posting "mean people suck". Both that statement and your response can be be viewed as abusive and harsh and also hypocritical.

On a side not TD please don't pass reports off as completely accurate or a perfect picture of a scenario or scenarios that have played out. Perhaps you should attend some HR classes or go throigh some real upper management experience. Reports are nothing. Actual repor and member feelings are what count. Not what some members report because it fits an agenda or the moment is being taken advantage of or skewed.

Edited by Twinreaper

^

^

^

^

^

You were right Director.... that was harsh.

But I disagree. Granted I have no idea who these members are.

If these five or six people are still active I disagree, if they are as abusive to staff as you claim and disregard the rules all the time, then they should be Banned, simple as. :D

So that is what gives me a feeling some of these five or six maybe not be active, but I also get a feeling some of these people are still active today.

And so if I am right, I disagree. There is no one here who is active at this moment who is anywhere near how you describe them.

Nobody, I cant think of one member who is active who on a regular basis disregards the rules and is abusive to staff and has done so many bad things it outweighs the good. Every post you make contributes to the forum so if one member is that bad..... they must be really bad because that is a lot of good things they have done.

Point is: Anyone who is that bad, should be Banned right now as no active members on this forum right now are like that.

As Bnus said WE AINT CHEAPOS! Every member who is active right now, staff or not is quality member of this forum.

This is what makes this forum so great, every member is awesome.

What he is saying Caboose is that there are members that do less than acceptable things that keep them from getting staff and other positions. Maybe not to the extreme of them being leeches of the community but they simply take one step forward and two steps back. That's not saying staff is innocent either, I don't think there is one staff member that hasn't gotten in trouble or at least get scolded for something prior to them being staff or even while they were staff.

That being said there are members that do a lot of things that aren't what is expected out of a "good" member. I put the good in quotations because the definition of good varies from person to person.

Some people are to upfront about there problems and seem to aggressive, others continually push the boundaries with community mods (we all do ;)

The point is, a handful of people on site aren't  "bad"  but don't match the criteria of what a model member is.

Matches the criteria? That is also a "personal view" as well. My standards are much more different in terms of what is contributed as well as my standard for intelligence. But you are right about one thing, I am strictly ypfront with EVERYONE about everything. I concider that a good thing since sites tend to bread the drama we all go through in High School. And no, this site is no exception. To think otherwise would be illogical and ignoring reality.

Actually in hindsight I feel as though I need to address something and make a few things perfectly clear.

When I originally posted my response to this new change, it seems certain people got their jimmies ruffled and misunderstood. I was only using myself as an example in the scenarios above. Sometimes the only way for me to try to get a point accross is to use an example or instance that everyone can relate to plainly without any misunderstanding. Guess I failed....oh well.

The next point I want to correct is what I think many members are thinking. For the record, I HAVE NEVER WANTED OR DESIRED A STAFF OR MOD POSITION! I have been offered it before and turned it down. I did not turn it down due to some inability to tone myself down or behave or any other reason. I turned it down simply because I did not have the time to perform the duties, and in all honesty I did not see any contribution I could make that I don't already. Staff and Mod are simple positions. They don't inherintly make you superior in any other way in terms of worth on this site.

I think a lot of staff and mods get this confused and tend to paint their siblings in a higher light. I don't need a title or a color to tell me who are the top 5% of this site or who is a good member. All I need is actual communication and posts to read to see it. Just like this LEGENDARY status...I don't need a gold name to prove my worth or show others...cause I already know and so do others...who is already Legendary around here.

Being upfront is perfectly fine, it's more when it gets aggressive and put downs are used. The reason that is bad is because it makes the environment tense and uncomfortable for others, especially the newer members which we don't want to scare away for obvious reasons.

What I mean by matches the criteria is that that person more or less is a friendly easy to talk to person that follows the rules to a certain degree. Someone that has been in trouble multiple times and has a reputation for making things uncomfortable for other people, or making posts that don't help the forum at all are all examples of what doesn't generally meet the "criteria". Obviously staff isn't made of angels. But no one on staff goes to the extremes like some other members. 

I'm not talking about you either if thats what you think, I was just explaining a little more to Caboose. Because The Directors post did read like Caboose said, although I am almost positive TD wan't being literal.

You must not have been here since the beginning. The things I know and the things I have seen...oh boy!

As for the "uneasy" and "uncomfortable"... that is life dude. The internet is not a safe haven, nor should it be made into one. In real life you will always have to deal with people who communicate in a manner different from your own. My put downs in particular are ALWAYS in response to the pesky two faced passive aggressive members who like to stir up and cause emotional responses. Perhaps if more people were completely honest and upfront, I wouldn't have to resort to that methodology sometimes to get a point across or put someone in their place that deserves ot.

Remember, just because someone else in the shoutbox or forum doesnt see a problem with a comment or post, doesnt mean that I didnt take offense or get bothered by it. It's all purely subjective and personal perspective. That is something you can rule or make a guideline for.

I may be abusive at times yes. I have disregarded rules in certain cases because of lack of proper and direct action ues. But please don't try to insinuate that the things I do take away from what I jave given. That os a high horse statement. Your blatently saying that anything that happens that involves staff members is nothing but 100% compliancy which in of itself is a bold face lie.

We can all actively count how many blunders, mistakes and other naughty deeds occured by staff members and mods alike. So yes I take issue with that statement directly. You would have been better off posting "mean people suck". Both that statement and your response can be be viewed as abusive and harsh and also hypocritical.

On a side not TD please don't pass reports off as completely accurate or a perfect picture of a scenario or scenarios that have played out. Perhaps you should attend some HR classes or go throigh some real upper management experience. Reports are nothing. Actual repor and member feelings are what count. Not what some members report because it fits an agenda or the moment is being taken advantage of or skewed.

You know... I could have sworn I... Oh right, I did.

Those of you, and I am not singling anyone out because there are about five or six

Twin, it is not my problem or fault that you believe that the statements I made regarding legendary members applied to you. Granted given the context I can see how you could feel that way, but as I did say I was speaking of five or six individuals if you truly believed that what I said didn't apply to you you would have been able to shrug off the statement. In actuality, your behavior has improved immensely from the way you used to act, so I'm not even entirely sure why you felt I was talking about you.

Especially when you remember that Private Message I sent you regarding reports nearly a year ago.

The only part of what I posted that I was thinking of you when I posted it would be this:

And the only reason I thought of you was because it was a direct response to this:

Imagine how I felt to see people given such a status just because they held a staff position...and not given on merit, contribution or any other forum attribute. Even horrible staffers can be given the title.

But you are right about one thing, I am strictly upfront with EVERYONE about everything. I concider that a good thing since sites tend to bread the drama we all go through in High School. And no, this site is no exception. To think otherwise would be illogical and ignoring reality.

In response to this little gem, yeah no you're wrong. If you were ONLY upfront, then you'd be correct. You haven't been in the past though, you were generally upfront and abusive simultaneously. 

Being upfront does not also require being abusive.

Take what I'm doing now, for instance. I am being direct (pun unintended), but I'm not calling you names, putting you down, or even talking to you like you are a child. 

Being abusive does not deter drama, it encourages it. When someone is being passive aggressive, it is because they want you to get frustrated with them and become the aggressor so that they can play the victim. When you are abusive to such an individual, you give them what they want and then they get to feel justified as they talk smack behind your back, eventually culminating in a massive dramatic crapstorm.

When you are direct with a passive aggressive person without being abusive, they usually still try to talk smack about you but nobody listens to them because they can't play the victim card. There may be some minor drama as they decide to leave forever because, "wah nobody likes me" but the dramatic crapstorm I spoke of earlier is avoided.

I only thoight and took it so directly because of the wording yes. Thank you for clearing thàt up. The only thing I disagree with is that I AM upfront about everuthing. Sometimes the way I come across with my directness can be percieved as abusive but is normally not intended. You know I never pull punches and speak candidly...for that I get a hot/cold reaction.

More specifically yes I often fall victim to giving people the reaction they want. As you pointed out, it's something I wo4ked on and improved. Sadly I will always in some part be ruled by my emotions and fall from time to time to my anger. But I guess I mist also make it clear that I really don't wish any ill will to anyone or this community. It's one of my biggest outlets persoñally and I would do anything to keep it alive and well.

Edited by Twinreaper

Thats what it "was" supposed to be. One qualification I met years ago. But it turned into a staff only thing, making it impossible for regular members like myself to obtain it.

That's how I think it should be, and was. I don't know how this staff mix got involved. Do I think you deserve it, yes. I know you twin. Anyhow, you still know my stance on the matter.