Sony Not Implementing Backwards Compatibility on PS4

It seems that Sony has no current plans to follow in Xbox's footsteps with a backwards compatibility update to their current gen console.

Microsoft made a daring move this E3 with the announcement that over the next few years Xbox 360 titles will become playable on the Xbox One, and most expected their competitor Sony to do the same. Apparently not, as reported by GameSpot.com, Sony has no plans for a system of backwards compatibility on the PS4. They commented on the announcement, saying it must have been, "challenging" to pull it off. They said that their current system of compatibility, the PlayStationNOW subscription service, will stay in effect. "Backward compatibility is hard," Sony executive Shuhei Yoshida explained. "I won't say we'll never do it, but it's not an easy thing to do. If it was easy we would have done that." Shuhei also stated that Sony wanted to focus on building new experiences rather than holding on to older ones. 

post-26953-0-54735500-1434863372_thumb.jpg

All information and images sourced from GameSpot and Sony.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 7

Honestly a little disappointed by this - this generation's console war has very much been a game of follow-the-leader as far as Microsoft and Sony go, so I'm quite surprised that Sony aren't doing the same here, especially given how well-received Microsoft's announcement was. let's hope they change their minds sometime in the future.

Doesn't the Playstation have Playstation Now that allows you to play older PS games. It's not really the same but it comes down to the same thing. Also it's paid...

On the one hand Sony is just ignoring an opportunity.

On the other hand, what does it say when people are looking forward more to playing games that came out years ago rather than new content?

It's saying that video game developers are having a hard time appealing to a new audience.

Seriously, most of the stuff coming out (including Halo) is aimed at people who already know the series and who play it the most. It appears as if VG Devs are missing a huge upcoming demographic of youth that are looking for a good game to play.

• Like 1

Sony thought they set the standard for playing old games, but it wasn't well received, and Microsoft comes along and announces free BC games.

Sony is in a pickle now as they need to decide if PS Now is going to stay until the next generation, or if they should abandon it and tackle BC.

Backwards Compatability is nothing more than a cheap ploy to try to get more people to buy into Xbox One. Simply put, Playstation doesn't need to do anything. It already has a superior library and is in more homes than Xbox. But I don't expect Microsoft to understand how to effectively manage and create fantastic 1st party games. They still try to bank off of a 15+ year game and buy out licenses in hopes to survive.

Blah blah words

I think the obvious answer and not the cynical one is that Sony simply doesnt want to waste resources/time/money/effort on implementing BC the same method of Microsoft when they can focus on improving Playstation Now which they have already poured a huge deal of money in + Playstation Now forces you to pay to play old games which means more money for Sony while Microsofts methods allow you to use your already existing library which saves you money if you already owned the game. 

This is a shame though because I own some PS3 games I am very fond of and still occasionally play on my PS3 and that aren't on Playstation Now. Hopefully Sony reconsiders later on so I can finally get rid of my PS3. 

I talk out my BNUS

Anywho... Obviously BC saves you money, but you missed the point completely. Microsoft focuses on the past because it needs something to try to compete with the alreàdy DOMINANT Sony.

Besides which, they issued no set time frame for Xbox 360 titles, nor did they say every game would be playable. Emulation because of the architecture differences is a lot trickier this time around. The only reason it will work, is because they have all the source they need, the time and resources to make it work. Versus modders/hackers/programmers who have none of this and attempt the same thing with only mild success.

At the end of the day, playing older games on the newer systems ends up being a "memory lane" type feeling. It's great that you can play them, but in all seriousness, how long will you really skip over the new games only to get bored with old ones after say an hour?

I have every game for every system from 1987 to 2000 and à lot or arcade roms. You know how often I play them? About never. BC sounds great in theory and present gamers with an option, but usually that option becomesnlackluster pretty quick. If you wanna live in the past and not look forward, the keep blindly supporting BC.

While Sony is ahead in terms of sales for consoles, it doesn't mean that them keeping PS Now is in any way a good thing. Paying additional money to play an old game you probably already own or owned is ridiculous.

Microsoft is making titles BC that people actually want via voting. I guarantee that a decent portion of the PS Now games hardly get touched.

It may take time, but at least Microsoft is doing it right, and it will just come up like an update.

• Like 1

It's great that you can play them, but in all seriousness, how long will you really skip over the new games only to get bored with old ones after say an hour?

I bought a PC two years ago, which is powerful enough to comfortably run pretty much any new release. I can get a solid 1080p/60fps out of most modern games without sacrificing graphical fidelity. With a single exception, I primarily use it to play stuff that came out before 2010, and in a lot of cases, even before 2005. I still regularly play things like Battlefront, Fallout, Oblivion, Brood War, and the Sims. I've actually put more hours into Mass Effect on my 360 over the past month than I have all my X1 games combined. And given that I've recently gotten into emulation, I'm almost certainly going to revisit a lot more of my old Playstation and Dreamcast games over the next few months - heck, a few days ago I re-bought Final Fantasy 8, and I've already sunk 12 hours into that, and will definitely be putting more in over the coming weeks. It's not that I don't have new games in my library - it's just that my enjoyment of a game, and the replay value I get out of it, doesn't really correlate with its age.

So, how often do I actually play older titles over newer ones? Pretty much constantly.

• Like 3

It depends how much you like BC.

As you can see.... Red loves the idea, Twin does not.

Personally I think BC is a gimmick, but a good gimmick at that, it certainly has its value. But that's it, value.

If you love playing old games than BC is for you.

Personally I have played all my old games to death and am looking for new games to play.

So I'm kinda hoping Sony will bring out lots of new games, and a few new Ip's maybe.

That one with the massive robot thing they showed at E3 ( the name escapes me ) Looked pretty fun to play. :)

Edited by Caboose The Ace