No Halo 5 split screen

x Rambo 316

Is it just me or has EVERYONE missed the entire point and lack of a full explanation in relative terms about how split-screen is a bad thing?

Everyone, including 343i keeps babbling about 60 fps this or no 60fps that when it comes to split-screen.  I guess everyone forgot fundamentals about resolution and frame-rate and how they are tied together?  If you have a 60" TV screen and you play a game at 60 fps you will see the difference right away, granted you are within 2-3ft of the screen.  Moving back from the screen your eyes and brain interpret what it sees differently.  Moving further to the medium average 5-6ft away from the television reduces your vision and perception of frame-rates and resolution.  It's not an opinion, it's basic science.

Adding on that, going into split screen, even at a distance of 2-4ft, you now have a smaller resolution screen to look at, equating to the frame-rate not being noticeable to the point it would be playing standalone.  Again move further to the average 5-6ft we have out televisions from the couch or other viewing place and the supposed "split-screen performance dip" becomes a negligible issue at best.

I find it completely laughable that everyone falls victim to this obvious ploy to force gamers into buying additional equipment with a completely factless and baseless 30 vs 60 fps scenario presented by the developers.  Case in point... I can force/tweak ANY co-op PC game from the curent year or current gen software development cycle to allow splitscreen co-op.  And guess what?  NOT A SINGLE ONE WILL DIP BELOW 60 FPS!  Case in point, Halo Online using a newly modified Halo 3 engine that sports a native 60 fps can be played at the same exact fps with splitscreen enabled.  The modified engine is using Halo 4 assets as well as custom newly created Halo 5 close assets.

So what's going on?  You really want to believe that splitscreen was taken out so YOU could have 60 fps instead of co-op splitscreen?  To even believe that such a ridiculous notion would even begin to hold any truth just shows the complete amount of ignorance gamers have and how much they buy into ANYTHING that they are told.

I'm not trying to come across as harsh, but I can't just sit here and listen to the drivel about things that are clearly not understood at all.  343 removed splitscreen under direct order from MGS in order to bank more money on hardware sales.  Plain and simple.  Believe otherwise?  Show me some actual hard proof that the console can't produce an equal quality to what we would want on splitscreen.

And you can provide evidence that 343i has dropped the support with the purpose of selling more copies? No? Stop talking out of your arse. It's not exactly a secret that the XB1 is an underpowered piece of crap compared to any half decent PC from 2015. Unless you're running the exact same specs as a console, you can't compare how good the framerate is at all. 

. The first few minutes are mainly focused on Order 1886 and the whole 'But films have a lower fps' thing, but the rest is good. It's a good video in general.

Talking out my arse? Thats pretty funny coming from you. Films have a lower framerate for production and quality purposes, not to mention the lack of support in theatres due to the cost behind upgrading equipment.

How do I know they simply want to sell more hardware? The answer should be obvious. Look at Halo and how it looks. Look at how much the engine renders and the quality. I could pick apart the horrible smoothing, shadows/lightmaps and texture issues in Halo 5 well into the new year.

Now look at a new game coming out a month after Halo, Star Wars Battlefront. The asmount of rendering onscreen and action/detail inside said rendered environments is not only double of what Blam! can do, but sadly its likely 3x to 4x better.

Is there any excuse why 343 can optimize or write an engine to handle something simplistic like Halo at 60 fps in splitscreen compared to what resource utilizations others have done? NO. Plain and simple there are only 2 logical outcomes...

1.) 343 lacks the talent and know-how on how to achieve superior results thsn previous engines designed to run on lesser hardware.

2.) They decided to not add splitscreen for a reason beyond the laughable "no 60 fps" claim.

Forgot to add, if your gonna post a video over a framerate issue, try to do so from a "good" source? Not some gamer who Googled a few terms and results and presented them poorly and inaccurately. The videro had more fact holes than swiss cheese. Again though, I'll concider the source.

• Like 1

For me, no longer having split screen isn't an issue, and while coop-ability is nice, I'd rather have a smoother running game than a shoddy performance with a friend.

When you play games that at least try for stable 60 fps, you tend to notice the difference when you go back. Except for Twin, because he's special. ;P

Sure, we won't have those terrible guests to kill in MP, but I think we can live without that... Plus they always sucked at driving <_<

I don't know if they can even change it back at this point, but I know that because of this change, they are optimising the game for solo play.

Which is perfectly fine with me. ^_^

Hey!!! I dont suck at driving at all!!!

people just put rocks trees and walls in my way!!!!!! or a rock flips the warthog!!! its never me!!! im world renouned for being the BEST driver ever... of all time!!!!!

You guys just see it differently!!!!

i was disappointed they got rid of splitscreen but i can see where thy are coming from

for me though i never had a live account because i dont want to pay for it for the 360 so i always had to either play campaign by myself or play campaign with one other person or 4 player split screen

now i do agree that it bothered me with 4 players because the quality became poor and the screen was really small, but i really liked that about halo

im disappointed as to what they decided but understand and respect it

im a little angry too but it wont stop me or my cousin from buying halo 5

plus i think that when they announced halo 5 last year no one thought about this so when they announced taking out slpit screen it woke everyone up to how spoiled we all were from previous titles

i just hope that as an update they add 2 player split screen sometime shortly after release

this is so bad to me - I bought the xbox one as an family entertainment system - but were is the familie enternainment - there is only a hand full of games you can play with all your family - all the games which remind me on my times with my old amiga or atari st I haven tryed out - because no one expect me likes these games ... - and whats up now - HALO WITHOUT LOCAL COOP - no that´s enough for me - I played all titel up to now together with my son - together next to next in one room !!! What do the people from 343 or MS think - should I buy some more consoles to put them in my childrens rooms - best each one with it´s own xbox gold account ... - NO here is the END for me - keep what you promissed - a peace of hardware combined with good software that will entertain my whole familie and will give us a good time together (when playing inhouse - for shure there is still enough time for the real life and activities outside in nature...) best regards Sascha

this is so bad to me - I bought the xbox one as an family entertainment system - but were is the familie enternainment - there is only a hand full of games you can play with all your family - all the games which remind me on my times with my old amiga or atari st I haven tryed out - because no one expect me likes these games ... - and whats up now - HALO WITHOUT LOCAL COOP - no that´s enough for me - I played all titel up to now together with my son - together next to next in one room !!! What do the people from 343 or MS think - should I buy some more consoles to put them in my childrens rooms - best each one with it´s own xbox gold account ... - NO here is the END for me - keep what you promissed - a peace of hardware combined with good software that will entertain my whole familie and will give us a good time together (when playing inhouse - for shure there is still enough time for the real life and activities outside in nature...) best regards Sascha

Family games died along with the Wii. :)

And that was a long time again.

Halo 5 is only going to have around a ten hour campaign anyway so its hardly worth getting it just for splitscreen anyway.

Whole family entertainment systems simply do not exist anymore, the market/demand for them died.

343 Industries, you have to make this game split screen. I know you guys can do it. Halo without split screen is like have a grilled cheese sandwhich without the cheese. Please don't break the tradition. Add split screen!!!

Sadly its too late in development for splitscreen to be added.

As much as me, you and many others might like it in, its not going to happen. :(

i think the only family oriented console is the wii U

with nintendo land

smash bros

mario kart

mario party 10

mario maker and many others

and then doesnt minecraft for the xbox one have split screen, if so then that is a little family oriented because my cousin plays with his son all the time on that

I love Halo. I've played every campaign all the way through with my wife. It's the only game she'll play, and she's good. My son, who is 11, has now also played every campaign all the way through with me. Even my 60 year old father got on the Halo train years ago and plays campaign and online. We got a second Xbox 360 so that my wife and I could play multiplayer online and link up with my son My nephew in the other room, while my father half a country away joins our party too. I, like many other people, haven't bought an Xbox One because I didn't see any games that came out for just the One that I would want. I was just about to buy the Halo edition Xbox One, since the game comes out soon. Then I find out I can't play this game with my wife, like we've always done. I can't play it with my son, who's obsessed with Halo after spending so much time playing this kick ass game with his parents and grandfather. Now I would have to buy three Xbox ones to hook up to three different TVs so I could play this game with my wife and son. And we wouldn't even be in the same room. I was ready to buy one for the living room and one for my son's room. My father was ready to buy an Xbox One as well. I told him not to bother. I'm not going to selfishly play Halo alone, when there are other games I can play with my family. What a way to kill a franchise. The Xbox itself is losing popularity by having made so many stupid decisions in past years. Now Halo is following suit. I've talked to so many people already in the same boat as me. Waited for Halo 5 to buy the One, found out no split screen, said screw the whole thing. Pathetic. Out of touch with your fans. Hope the game tanks so next time around you won't just cater to the hardcore gamers who sit in their rooms all day just playing games alone. Many of us still insist on being together while gaming.

The really sad fact is that, yes a lot of people play with others through Xbox live and not Split screen. But what I feel 343i doesn't understand is that because they've done this they are getting rid of the players who enjoyed playing the campaign/multiplayer with their friends in the same room (aka hanging out). Not to mention all this bull**** about giving the player a better experience while playing the game by having better graphics! Are you kidding me!? They are going to have a really hard time competing with games like Call of Duty, Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Seige, Star Wars: Battlefront 3, etc.

Speaking of Call of Duty I just have one thing to say to the developers of Halo 5. Listen, I get it, you want to make the best possible product you can on the next generation console, but what you don't understand is that when it comes to multiplayer, yes, we'd like an improvement but most (if not all of us) would NEVER notice if the graphics were slightly worse in multiplayer. Cause we're to focused on the action to give a ****. Call of Duty understands that! WHY DON'T YOU?!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

A complete waste of $700 the only reason I purchased the new xbox and halo package was to play online with my partner and our friends. For this not to be an option is beyond devistating. I do not play games and my partner is a game designer, the only game we would come together and play was halo. Now I get to have a pretty looking toy that is completly useless for what it was purchased for. So glad I bought this for my birthday present NOT.

Honestly, I was really, really looking forward to Halo 5, and, just now, literally like 15 minutes ago, I found out that me and my brother couldn't play together. I love Halo, but I don't really like playing alone, it's just kinda boring to me. I really only play Halo with my brother, or when I'm playing forge. Now, I really don't have any reason to play it. Also, to everyone who keeps saying "Your friends could just get an Xbox One," it's funner playing when their in the same room as you, and not everyone can afford to get three counsels, and three copies of the game for one house. And while I'm still here, honestly, I didn't have a single clue what an "fps" was, until I got here, so I really could care no less if the game is 30 or 60 fps, I just wanna play the game. Very dissapointed, I hope all of you solo players have fun, though.

• Like 1

There are some really great things about Halo 5. I think the graphics look great and the gameplay looks immersive. I picked up my limited edition preorder today, complete with build it yourself metal model (the little bendy bits break off so easy though). I was so excited to finally have halo 5 and couldn't wait to tell my brothers. After spending a few hours installing the game one of my brothers and I sat down to slay some co-op on legendary... only to discover that our 10+ year tradition of smashing the campaign together can no longer continue. I don't have the money to waste on a second console and game just to play with my brother, and I did have the money there's other things I would spend it on. Probably something that I could do with someone else in the same room as me, on the same couch. One of the greatest features of halo, for me and so many people I know, has been having friends over, throwing back a few beers and blasting through the campaign, firefight or multiplayer (no, not Spartan ops). For me halo was a social experience; I would drop in on friends or they'd drop in on me and we'd play together for hours. Sure I played multiplayer on my own as well, but I wouldn't have all the laughs and general goofing around that happened with the physical presence of others. I actually felt dismayed when I realised I can't play this side by side with my brothers or friends. It's not that I have an emotional attachment to the game itself, but to the shared group experiences when playing this series. I am a self-confessed technophile and nerd, I love the progression of technology and advancements in games and media, but I dont like what has been done to Halo 5. You may have made it prettier, faster and smoother but you cut out the heart. I'm far from thrilled.

• Like 1

343..... You have made the mistake that (I hate to say this) but Fallout and a lot more games continue to make. You need to start giving us options. Nobody wants to feel restricted. I love 60 fps and I have clocked it time and time again and that 60 frames doesn't budge. But when someone is playing solo you should allow the game to go to 60 fps. But when someone is playing split screen you can let the game play at about 30-60 fps. Give us that option. This is next gen gaming you need to realize you are capable of giving us choices. When I'm alone I do want to play at 60 fps but when my roommate wants to come check of the new halo I want to be able to switch it 30 fps and hop on split screen. Me and my roommate have the best of both worlds. He has the PlayStation 4 and I have the Xbox One. He gets to play halo and I get to play blooborne or uncharted or whatever. And it's always been that way. But you ruined that when you took out our beloved split screen.

• Like 1

343..... You have made the mistake that (I hate to say this) but Fallout and a lot more games continue to make. You need to start giving us options. Nobody wants to feel restricted. I love 60 fps and I have clocked it time and time again and that 60 frames doesn't budge. But when someone is playing solo you should allow the game to go to 60 fps. But when someone is playing split screen you can let the game play at about 30-60 fps. Give us that option. This is next gen gaming you need to realize you are capable of giving us choices. When I'm alone I do want to play at 60 fps but when my roommate wants to come check of the new halo I want to be able to switch it 30 fps and hop on split screen. Me and my roommate have the best of both worlds. He has the PlayStation 4 and I have the Xbox One. He gets to play halo and I get to play blooborne or uncharted or whatever. And it's always been that way. But you ruined that when you took out our beloved split screen.

I have no idea why you mentioned Fallout 4 (That game gives us a ton of options0 but the reason why the game cannot go down to 30fps is because it simply cannot.

The game's engine is entirely designed around 60fps bringing it down in that significant way would pretty much make the game unplayable since the whole game is built around 60fps. So that's why your wish can sadly never come true for Halo 5. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Why they did this the excuse that the give wasn't vallid how did they said that if in halo 4 it was available split screen j can belive that mediocre work a couldn't believe that.

A mediocre work and a fake excuses

How its posible that they give us a excuse to dont play split screen if the same industrie make the game what a bad work????????????

Why they did this the excuse that the give wasn't vallid how did they said that if in halo 4 it was available split screen j can belive that mediocre work a couldn't believe that.

A mediocre work and a fake excuses

How its posible that they give us a excuse to dont play split screen if the same industrie make the game what a bad work????????????

The reason split screen is not in Halo 5 unlike past Halo games is because this time around unlike all past Halo games Halo 5 is running at 60fps. The reason though that you can play online co-op is because its supported by 343's servers. :)

I think that is the answer to the question you are asking.

^^ Actually Co-OP relies on a host, not a server.  The server may make the initial connection and negotiate network protocols, but hosting is handed off to the person who either initiated the campaign, or the player with the best connection stability.

As for excuses for no splitscreen, quit buying into the hype surrounding 60fps gaming and the excuses handed out by 343.  it all comes down to poor engine architecture and a lack of ability to produce or drive positive results in development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting together with friends and playing halo was the only reason I ever started playing the game. Microsoft's pathetic marketing ploy to boost Xbox One and Halo 5 sales actively condones solidarity over camaraderie. This game used to be about teamwork in the same room, not teamwork that can only be attained by having your friends stay home or them casually bring over another TV and Xbox.

Microsoft and 343 studios would be remiss in their duties of customer service to the Halo community to not include same-room multiplayer in Halo 5.

Ps: drizzy Dan sucks a fat one