No Halo 5 split screen

x Rambo 316

^

No splitscreen makes the game worser than it could be. :)

60fps is cool and all, but saying Halo without splitscreen is better is pure stupidity.

Meh.. it really doesn't make a difference for us single players. :P

From a real point of view though, isn't running the game faster and better more important than two players?

• Like 2

^

Once again, its arguable.

Personally I hardly ever do splitscreen so its a plus for having 60fps. :)

However people who do play splitscreen semi regularly or even regularly are going to see 60fps as generally a downside.

You are going to see 60fps differently depending on how much you play splitscreen. For better or for worse.

It's unthinkable. H5G was to be the big release this year me and my friends... who spend our gaming time exclusively playing games together in the same room. Halo's been the game of choice for, like, 11 years.

They're snatching that experience away just to say their game runs at 60fps. Whatever. I'll have to find a new go-to. The lone nerds can enjoy their framerate while i have to go nurse my butthurt with some military fps that i find much less compelling.

It's unthinkable. H5G was to be the big release this year me and my friends... who spend our gaming time exclusively playing games together in the same room. Halo's been the game of choice for, like, 11 years.

They're snatching that experience away just to say their game runs at 60fps. Whatever. I'll have to find a new go-to. The lone nerds can enjoy their framerate while i have to go nurse my butthurt with some military fps that i find much less compelling.

You can also go buy Xbox One's and H5G separately, that way you can play together, and when you can't play together you are able to play by yourself.

I'm just saying, that's an alternative. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm very frustrated with having no split screen capabilities.  While I'm 29 years old and most of my gamer friends are all busy with having families and can't come over and hang out for hours like back in the olden days, split screen is a nice feature to be able to have if and when you need it.  What made Halo so awesome to begin with is this ability, that you could hang out with your buddies and play for hours and have awesome parties and epic matches.  Now you can talk to them through a headset, whoopty doo.  I wanted Halo 5 to be an awesome game and was all for spending the dough to go out and buy a new xbox one, as I still have an xbox 360, but 343 industries hasn't exactly had a great track record in my opinion and now I have absolutely zero faith in them.  First off, Halo 4 was a flop, they even admitted it themselves that they could've done way better and that it failed.  Second, the Master Chief Collection, another flop.  Some games you'd have to wait 20 minutes to get a match or get kicked out while in the middle of a game.  Third, Halo Nightfall, so cheesy and the graphics so horrible that I wanted to stop watching but just had to keep going to see how horrible it truly was.  I was going to buy an xbox one, if Halo 5 got decent reviews but now with these shennanigans as well as no backwards compatability?  Yeah I think I'll pass as Halo is about the only game that I play, but who know's maybe Destiny will be a runner up.  In my opinion 343 industries has made a mockery of a once epic franchise.  It's frustrating because I'm a huge Halo fan and have bought every Halo game up until this point but 343 industries you just lost a long time customer. Thank you 343 for ruining that for us all.  Lastly, I could really care less about the frame rate of the Halo 5 or any other Halo game.  To me, the graphics in Halo 4 were good enough to where the people in them, take Dr. Halsey for example, looked almost like a real life character in a movie.  Frame rate does nothing for me, it's about the game and the story and being able to play with friends.  I'd much rather play an older game, Halo CE or Halo2, with not as good of graphics but a good storyline any day over playing Halo 4 with a subpar storyline and great graphics and better frame rate.  To me there is no comparison.  And the old school graphics make it seem like you're playing the old games when they first came out, hence the reason I haven't bought the anniversary editions.

Sincerely,

Very disappointed Halo fan.

Luckily the first 15 maps will be free DLC so you won't worry about paying for it for a while. I think 343 has done a good job of thinking of everything except for the importance of split screening to a large part of the community.

I think 343 has done a terrible job with the franchise and made a complete mockery of it.  Halo 4 = Terrible, Halo MCC = Still doesn't run at 100%, and lastly Halo Nightfall = God awful with a horrible storyline and even worse graphics/special effects.

Edited by Ash
Removed language, keep it clean.

343 has done an exceedingly well job, they just had to pick up loose ends never tied by Bungie. Canon was broken, Lore was broken. It's only until recently that the problems have been fixed. 

Sacrificing split-screen to make sure the game runs smoothly, in any and all situations, at 60 fps, is out of care. This ensures the best experience for any Halo player, and is out of respect. A game on the Xbox One's power and capability, yet can't hold 60fps with only 2 people, is sad. It's literally just 1 step back and 2 steps forward.

Halo MCC was never meant to be an easy, breezy project. The fact that you would expect four Halo Games, with CE finally having Online capabilities, and All different platforms, porting problems aside, to run smoothly and bug-free, is utterly surprising. 

I'll just post this for anybody not on the same page as me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qwep7PCA8

EDIT: This was meant for a post on the 1st page. Forgetting to quote is fun. Being on a slow tablet, even better.

• Like 1

You can also go buy Xbox One's and H5G separately, that way you can play together, and when you can't play together you are able to play by yourself.

I'm just saying, that's an alternative. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah. that would be a fun option for people who have the means to enjoy multiple $600+ entertainment centers in their homes - not including video setups. Sadly, not an option for me.

There are a lot of 343 apologists on here trying to suggest that the loss of split screen is no big deal. It is a very big deal to the scores of fans who use it and have done so throughout the series - it is, for me and others like, one of the defining traits of the property and I only hope against hope that 343i hears the outcry and figures out an option for the fans they can expect to lose by dropping something so important.

Since the current console generation emerged, it's been disappointment after disappointment. Seems like gamers are losing a lot of options and 'freedoms' to accommodate the new tech.

I'll still want to see the single-player campaign, but i can wait to buy used for that.

• Like 1

I just created an account here to reiterate the sentiment that's been posted by other Halo fans here. I have been an owner/player of Halo games since longer than I care to remember. MCC left a really bad taste in my mouth but after what seemed an eternity, finally the game is somewhat playable (or the matchmaking anyway). Now this, however, does it. No splitscreen matchmaking? Who was the smart guy who came up with this idea? Are you kidding me?? You guys messed up Halo like no one else ever could. MS souldnt pay you, they should fire all you for screwing up an amazing franchise. I guess that will be it for me if splitscreen doesn't make it to halo5, no more Halo games for me (as sad as it is for me to admit it). I would then have to find a replacement xbox game for my family and I to play at our free time. Maybe COD or something similar? Probably. It's all up to the disgrace to the development community called 343.

Hate you 343 Industries (AKA idiots who messed up Halo)

- A clearly salty Halo'er

P.S. Don't give me that "framerate" excuse. I'm not buying it.

P.S.S. I heard Bungie is having Game Development 101 and Gamer Satisfaction 101. Maybe someone from 343 should sign up.

Edited by Ash
Removed language, keep it clean.

^

I not going to fight over splitscreen vs 60fps as that is generally a preference, however.....

"remember. MCC left a really bad taste in my mouth but after what seemed an eternity, finally the game is somewhat playable"

Now you want to know who is really responsiable for Mcc being a mess? Not 343, no......

But Microsoft.  They gave 343 a very short development cycle to port all the games over to the Xb1, then make Halo 2A then make all the games 1080p 60fps. And make sure all the servers and working all the bugs ironed out. That was impossible given the small time 343 was given.

Ms wanted to rush the game out for the holiday season, and look what happened. Blame Ms not 343 for the Mcc. :)

Edited by Big_Boss

I have no doubt that The development cycle 343i have to work within, and Microsoft are causes for shortcuts, but I will not forgive the Developer of the Game for dropping important features. There is no technical reason besides time constraints that they can't drop the frame rate for split screen. It's the same rush-job, only-mostly-finished product that so many developers are shoveling out in this console generation. 

I'm sure they think that not allowing multiple players on a console doesn't effect their bottom line much, so it has to go because they can't put everything in this game that it should have. Maybe they're right - the backlash for graphical shortcomings or other performance issues might be greater than the backlash for denying fans who like to share game time the chance to do so - I hope the numbers show differently.

I'll buy used, or borrow the game or whatever so that I don't contribute to their income or sales numbers, and if others who feel the way i do (betrayed) do the same, the problem will get fixed. If it doesn't - I have 11 years of good Halo memories i can draw on when choosing other games to play.

^

I can agree with that. :)

Putting in 60fps in Halo has nothing to do with time constraints. You see if they really wanted to 343 could put in splitscreen but only for campaign. But they have not done that. I could be down to time constraints but I am not so sure this time.

@JimDynaom - Amen bro!

@ - You seem to be more informed about MCC's development cycle than I am, so fair points. However, I would rather if 343 had taken their time once the game was released to roll out a "working update" for the game. I cant even remember how many times they sent updates for the games that was supposed to have fixed the issues, but they never did. I may be wrong, but I think 343 would be at blame there.

^

Yes, but once again Microsoft is partly to blame. :)

343 you could blame yes, for actually creating some new bugs, but Ms you can also blame.

You see 343 is a first party dev so you know, they have very little creative control when it comes to stuff like this.

Fixing Mcc makes community sense.

Concentrating on Halo 5 makes cooperate sense.

Mcc isn't going to make Ms much money anyone, Halo 5 on the other hand, boatloads especially if it launches with hardly any bugs......

That is why there have not been much patches as of late. Because Micrsoft is almost forcing them to exclusively concentrate on Mcc with only a few kept around to make new/rotate playlists for the very small population Mcc has.

I think you're completely right about the business drive to prioritize Halo 5 over MCC fixes - and it looks like MCC is the last example i will have of a Halo game I can play with a partner, so i hope they do eventually get it up to snuff. Technical problems aside, MCC seemed like a step back from Halo 4 in its multiplayer application. A jumbled ton of MP options, but not any I particularly want (like just being able to choose one release's MP experience).

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter much who's to blame for shortcomings in a video game's development - the result is that 343i is releasing, through MS, a Halo title that does not satisfy my requirements for a Halo title. In the face of any announcement of graphical enhancements, video frame rates or other technical 'improvements' the new title will have, it represents a step backward to me and the fans who play like I do. 343i is in charge of which features make it into the game and which do not. Taking well-loved features away from fans for whatever reason, whomever is to blame, is a BAD choice. 

Now, if split-screen MP is something that could be added by patch, and 343i were to announce something like that before H5:G's release - I could forget all about it and go on living my gaming life as a Halo fan.

• Like 1

" A jumbled ton of MP options, but not any I particularly want (like just being able to choose one release's MP experience ) "

That is due to the fact Mcc has an extremely low population, they have to combine a bunch of individual playlists to keep the low population together. Then again, that is due to the horrible bugs the game has.....

and as I said before. Split screen in Halo 5 campaign mode is 100 percent possible and could happen. Sadly I know 343 isn't going to do it and perhaps that makes the loss of split screen worse because we know its possible. :)

343 said they did not make the decision to cut splitscreen lightly, yet they never needed to make that decision at all.

• Like 1

I play Halo with a friend of mine who loves the games but doesn't have an Xbox to play them on. We've played pretty much all of them together. It sucks that we can't play together anymore but I don't mind letting her play alone and coaching her through it. I know a lot of you are really going to miss split-screen and I feel bad for you. But as I said this doesn't affect me personally. I usually play alone unless I'm letting that one friend experience the game. But I also wish the people who wanted split-screen had it. Personally I'd rather have 60fps but I understand how you all feel.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I also want to voice my displeasure about the lack of split screen multiplayer.  It's not just antisocial people that like to play games!  Some of us like to play with actual people.  My two boys and I really enjoy playing Halo split screen games.  I love having a few buddies over and playing some slayer while enjoying a few beers.  Check out my screen name - it is what Halo 5 will feel like without split screen MP.

I will NOT be purchasing Halo 5 because of this.  Remember 343 - adults like to play games too!

I also want to voice my displeasure about the lack of split screen multiplayer.  It's not just antisocial people that like to play games!  Some of us like to play with actual people.  My two boys and I really enjoy playing Halo split screen games.  I love having a few buddies over and playing some slayer while enjoying a few beers.  Check out my screen name - it is what Halo 5 will feel like without split screen MP.

I will NOT be purchasing Halo 5 because of this.  Remember 343 - adults like to play games too!

>> Implying every solo gamer is an antisocial child. <<

I can tell you one thing for sure, I am not anti-social. Otherwise I wouldn't be recording my face on a camera for thousands to see.

I'll play the games by myself, but if another friends in the room with his Xbox One. We can LAN on our internet. Because, I'm pretty sure unlike some people... I'd rather have my friends get their own systems, then piggy-back on me, just to play mine.

Halo was originally intended for adults, hence the rated "M" ESRB gives it, which requires you to be 17+.

That's fine if you do not purchase, I will have you know myself. I have purchased it. Infact, I bought the LE Console.

Is it just me or has EVERYONE missed the entire point and lack of a full explanation in relative terms about how split-screen is a bad thing?

Everyone, including 343i keeps babbling about 60 fps this or no 60fps that when it comes to split-screen.  I guess everyone forgot fundamentals about resolution and frame-rate and how they are tied together?  If you have a 60" TV screen and you play a game at 60 fps you will see the difference right away, granted you are within 2-3ft of the screen.  Moving back from the screen your eyes and brain interpret what it sees differently.  Moving further to the medium average 5-6ft away from the television reduces your vision and perception of frame-rates and resolution.  It's not an opinion, it's basic science.

Adding on that, going into split screen, even at a distance of 2-4ft, you now have a smaller resolution screen to look at, equating to the frame-rate not being noticeable to the point it would be playing standalone.  Again move further to the average 5-6ft we have out televisions from the couch or other viewing place and the supposed "split-screen performance dip" becomes a negligible issue at best.

I find it completely laughable that everyone falls victim to this obvious ploy to force gamers into buying additional equipment with a completely factless and baseless 30 vs 60 fps scenario presented by the developers.  Case in point... I can force/tweak ANY co-op PC game from the curent year or current gen software development cycle to allow splitscreen co-op.  And guess what?  NOT A SINGLE ONE WILL DIP BELOW 60 FPS!  Case in point, Halo Online using a newly modified Halo 3 engine that sports a native 60 fps can be played at the same exact fps with splitscreen enabled.  The modified engine is using Halo 4 assets as well as custom newly created Halo 5 close assets.

So what's going on?  You really want to believe that splitscreen was taken out so YOU could have 60 fps instead of co-op splitscreen?  To even believe that such a ridiculous notion would even begin to hold any truth just shows the complete amount of ignorance gamers have and how much they buy into ANYTHING that they are told.

I'm not trying to come across as harsh, but I can't just sit here and listen to the drivel about things that are clearly not understood at all.  343 removed splitscreen under direct order from MGS in order to bank more money on hardware sales.  Plain and simple.  Believe otherwise?  Show me some actual hard proof that the console can't produce an equal quality to what we would want on splitscreen.

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 1