Xbox One to be Backwards Compatible

gallery_12241_647_352621.png

One of the things that got Xbox fans excited was the announcement of backwards compatibility for the Xbox One. Head of Xbox Phil Spenser made the announcement earlier today during Microsoft's E3 briefing. Microsoft’s Mike Ybarra then came on to the stage to announce that Xbox One users can access their digital library of Xbox 360 games, as well as being able to insert their disks into the drive of the Xbox One. But there seems to be some limitations to this, on the Xbox website it states that not all games will work with this feature.

The digital titles that you own and are part of the Back Compat game catalog will automatically show up in the “Ready to Install” section on your Xbox One. For disc-based games that are a part of the Back Compat game catalog, simply insert the disc and the console will begin downloading the game to your hard drive. After the game has finished downloading, you will still need to keep the game disc in the drive to play. Mike announced that there will be around 100 titles available to play at the launch of the new service and more will come later down the line.

This looks to be similar to the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility feature with original Xbox games where only selected titles were included and the rest were locked out.

Mass Effect was used as an example of an Xbox 360 game that would be compatible on the Xbox One as they showed off a quick demo, so that was the first title to be confirmed that will be playable on the Xbox One. Mike also announced that those who are a member of the preview program will get early access to the feature starting today, and it will then become available to everyone else this holiday. Xbox.com provides the current list of the titles that are compatible with the Xbox One, more will be added at later times. 

Here is the announcement that was uploaded to YouTube by Kotaku

What do you think of this new feature? Leave a comment below.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 3

What do I think of this?

Absolutely awesome, Ms is really turning a corner this E3. :)

So much good stuff happen. The Fallout 4 Mods reveal. Hololens, this, Halo 5, and other things too.

The real question is, can Sony live up to this? Probably not.

So... I can now play my Halo 4 from Xbox 360 on Xbox One? The console it was made for? As well as to be able to play the campaign with friends and such without a problem? Sweet. Now, for my dream to come true, we need to findout if we can use the online servers. If not, then I don't care anymore.