RUL's Halo 5 Campaign Coverage

PROMETHEAN.png

Greenskull from ReadyUpLive, and a few other people were invited to 343 Industries' HQ today to get a hands-on playthrough in the Campaign & Multiplayer of Halo 5: Guardians. This article will be based on the features shown, and not necessarily the story elements that were revealed.

You can go to Greenskull's article here if you would like to read through the whole experience.

Universal Campaign Features:

• The AI system is very similar to Left 4 Dead in which 3 AI teammates (the 3 other Spartans besides the Leaders in each Spartan Team: Fireteam Osiris, and Blue Team) will follow around the host until another player joins in. These AI companions will accompany the host throughout the entire game.
  • Each of the 8 Spartan characters have unique HUDs, starting Loadouts, and of course voices & personalities. Chatter between the characters will be commonplace.
  • The player can use D-Pad commands to order around their Spartan Teams. Greenskull stated on the matter, "If you are looking at a weapon and press up on the D-Pad, a teammate will run over and pick it up. Point at an enemy and your team will focus fire on it. You can even direct them to cover..."
  • Similar to Borderlands, every player can be crippled or "downed". The player will crouch onto the ground, and will die if another player, or AI doesn't come in to revive them. The player will still respawn if they're in Online Coop, but if you die in Singleplayer you'll revert to a previous checkpoint.
  • When downed you can press a button to notify everyone else to save you, and all it will take is the press of the "use" button (the button mapping will be different if you're using an alternate control scheme) by a teammate to get you back up. The time it takes to revive a player is around 2-3 seconds.

Online Coop (requires Xbox Live Gold to play):

• Utilizes a "jump-in-drop-out system", which allows anyone to join in and leave without impacting the host's game too much. This means that Join In Progress is in Halo 5.
  • Any new player joining the game can choose which character they want to be (Fred, Linda, Kelly - Tanaka, Vale, Buck). The original Host will ALWAYS be Chief or Locke.
  • Both of the leader positions (Chief or Locke) have access to the D-Pad commands, while every other character doesn't. The commands are somewhat the same in Online Coop in comparison to Singleplayer. Continued from Greenskull's quote above, "With a team of human players, the party leader (Master Chief or Spartan Locke) can still perform these commands (the ones listed above in the Universal section) to help direct their teammates to locations, enemies, or hidden weapons."
  • Lastly, difficulty will be scaled based on how many players are in the game. A mission played on Legendary with 4 players will be more difficult than a Solo run on Legendary.

Prometheans & Enemies:

• Prometheans are returning with a new type being introduced: The Promethean Solider (pictured in the image at the top of this article). The only other information there is is that it moves fast, and is around the same size of a Spartan such as the Chief.
  • An ENORMOUS new enemy called a Guardian has been introduced, though Guardians have existed in Halo lore long before Halo 5, and it's currently unknown if these Guardians are connected to the old ones.
  • Standing at 4,635 feet tall, the Guardian easily is the most massive enemy ever featured in a Halo game (the Gravemind is probably another good candidate). Here's an image from Greenkskull's video on Youtube based on scale.
  • ALL Covenant enemies speak English due to Jul M'Dama's authority loosening. He originally banned the usage of English and other human language which is why the Covenant spoke their native languages in Halo 4. This comes from the Halo 5 Gameinformer issue that was recently revealed.

Environments:

• The playtesters were shown a brief Campaign teaser, and Greenskull named the things he saw to the best of his ability, "It moved so fast it was hard to point anything out. That being said, what my eyes feasted upon was jaw dropping: massive enemies, space battles, and more. I saw Hunters forming from worms (Lekgolo) on the ground, Banshees flying past a space station, and a flying Forerunner vehicle shooting at a massive covenant station (it almost looked like a mining rig).", he went on to say, "The scale was unlike anything we’ve seen in Halo, specifically the giant vehicle scene. There were vehicles flying around, Covenant shooting plasma through the air, and explosions illuminating the landscape. It was hard not to get excited."
  • The maps have plenty of alternate routes, and passageways aside from the main path. The many nooks, and crannies also harbor secrets. Greenskull found a specific easter egg (a black alien skull looking thing) in Singleplayer, and confirmed that many other eggs are within the game.

The reveal came with an absolutely HUGE amount of screenshots, and HD images, and you can see them all here.

Halo 5: Guardians releases on October 27th of this year, and a full reveal of the game will be in Microsoft's press conference at E3. You can see the whole E3 schedule at IGN.

Thoughts?

Sources:

ReadyUpLive, RUL on Youtube

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 6

I looked at the RUL images, and it also looks like dual wielding is staying, but still restricted. I didn't know if CTF was in the Halo 5 Guardians or not. But it looks like dual wielded CTF* is back.

(*You can hold the flag as a melee weapon and wield the pistol at the same time.)

hm looking at those images, who else noticed that Chiefs chest plate is squeaky clean with no scarring from Halo 3?

He took it off at the end of Halo 4, and the only reason for that was to get it replaced.

I'm kinda bothered by the downing system. As in will you be on a timer while down and invincible (because enemies can't damage you any more or just ignore you) or can you still get shot even more (and die faster). I'd prefer the latter for a bit more realism.

It's cool to see that the campaign gets scaled according to the amount of players there are in the game. No more easy peasy Legendary runs.

We also finally get to (possibly) kill the bugger who's been keeping us restricted to certain areas and play for his amusement (guardian).

And space battles?!

Good news SD! :thumbup:

• Like 1

"ALL Covenant enemies speak English due to Jul M'Dama's authority loosening. He originally banned the usage of English and other human language which is why the Covenant spoke their native languages in Halo 4. This comes from the Halo 5 Gameinformer issue that was recently revealed."

Wait I thought the reason we hear the covenant speak English was due to a translation device or something. I didn't think they could actually speak English.

Great post SD

• Like 1

"ALL Covenant enemies speak English due to Jul M'Dama's authority loosening. He originally banned the usage of English and other human language which is why the Covenant spoke their native languages in Halo 4. This comes from the Halo 5 Gameinformer issue that was recently revealed."

Wait I thought the reason we hear the covenant speak English was due to a translation device or something. I didn't think they could actually speak English.

Great post SD

No way, they could speak English since the very first game. Only the Grunts in CE, but by the time of 2 and 3, most of them spoke English. It clearly wasn't translation devices because people other than Chief could understand them.

No way, they could speak English since the very first game. Only the Grunts in CE, but by the time of 2 and 3, most of them spoke English. It clearly wasn't translation devices because people other than Chief could understand them.

its sort of been all over the place as in Reach the Covenant didn't speak English 

Speaking English in the Covenant was a crime! :)

The only reason you heard them in 1-3 was due to a translation device because there is no way they would speak English.

As for Halo 4..... who knows maybe the translation device got broken or something. Its a bad explanation but it is the best explanation to go on.

its sort of been all over the place as in Reach the Covenant didn't speak English 

Reach was a prequel. It's actually been a quite straight progression. Reach: they can't speak English. CE: Grunts, stated to be the Covenant's best language learners in-lore, can speak it. No one else can. 2 and 3: Almost everyone can speak it. 4: Almost everyone can speak it, but because Jul 'Mdama's Covenant is super conservative, no one does it.

Speaking English in the Covenant was a crime! :)

The only reason you heard them in 1-3 was due to a translation device because there is no way they would speak English.

As for Halo 4..... who knows maybe the translation device got broken or something. Its a bad explanation but it is the best explanation to go on.

Nope, entirely wrong. The lore outright states they did learn it. There was no translation device involved either, otherwise you'd be able to understand ALL of them. But only some species spoke it. As for the Halo 4 thing, 343 outright stated that they can speak English but did not because it was forbidden. In Halo 5 they speak it because Jul's losing his grip, and so no one gives a crap anymore.

Caboose you nutter nut. Covvies spoke English. Grunts were required to learn English to help in lowering morale for battles, The covenant regularly used English before glassing planets, fighting the Humans, and even just to understand our captured. No it was not heresy, unless I reference to Jul M'dama whose cult disallowed anyone other than him from speaking English (He's the 'Didact's Hand', remember?), and since this cult had not been in the majority of the war, it would be fairly simple to tell.

^

Grunts were required?! I don't know where you learned that but speaking English in the Covenant as I have already said was strictly forbidden. :)

From Halopeida.... "UNSC translation software has been able to decrypt a number of Covenant languages, most notably those of the Grunts, Elites, and Prophets. By the time of the Battle of Earth, this software could automatically interpret everything the other races said, and it has apparently been installed in the equipment of all UNSC military personnel, as all personnel appear to have the ability to understand what members of these races are saying."

BOOM!

^

Grunts were required?! I don't know where you learned that but speaking English in the Covenant as I have already said was strictly forbidden. :)

From Halopeida.... "UNSC translation software has been able to decrypt a number of Covenant languages, most notably those of the Grunts, Elites, and Prophets. By the time of the Battle of Earth, this software could automatically interpret everything the other races said, and it has apparently been installed in the equipment of all UNSC military personnel, as all personnel appear to have the ability to understand what members of these races are saying."

BOOM!

I just came across this 

"Covenant translation software intercepted human COM transmissions after the First Battle of Harvest, and thus the Covenant learned English quickly. Following first contact at Harvest, the High Prophet of Tolerance had five hundred teams of well-educated Sangheili and Unggoy formed to study and translate English. These teams could only speak English among themselves and were later required to teach it to all Covenant military units." 

I was wrong, the covies did in fact learn and speak English themselves. But I knew I read somewhere of the UNSC creating a translations device to understand the covenant. Maybe they used this software before the covenant picked up the English language, then became redundant once the covenant could speak English. 

I just thought they had a translation device the whole time. In Halo CE the grunts speaking English would have been just for a bit of comic relief with no real meaning. But as Halo 2, 3, ODST etc came along and as the lore developed I thought it became official that translation devices were used and just implied that they always had them, just for the sake of a bit of lore. 

• Like 2