Halo Lore AMA

BaconShelf

Why are Halo's Control rooms always surrounded in Snow?

Snow is a good natural barrier tht slows down a flood advance and weakens them. The delta halo quarantine zone had been wiped out then had extreme environmental control measures put in place to keep the flood weak to give Sentinels an upper hand. Of course, this was only Installation 04 and it's replacement. If you remember, Installation 05 was in the centre of a lake. That said, I00 was snow, and I can't remember if Hunters mentions 07's control room, aside from specifically not being able to locate it.

Also, it's kind of presumed the generators that feed energy for a ring's main activation pulse generate a lot of heat and the cold environment serves to assist in cooling.

• Like 1

^

^

^

In Contact Harvest wasn't Johnson attacked by an Insurrectionist armed with a 20th century Smg and the bullets just pinged off his armour? :)

The Unsc has certainly made advancements, just not as well as they should have.

It's incredibly inconsistent, not just that, but if could depend on the type of round; hollow-point isn't going to be anywhere near as good as AP in that situation, and a 9mm round will do a lot less than a .45 caliber.

However, MJOLNIR armour is impervious to bullets and shrapnel, we have bulletproof vests now; it's not a large step to imagine that a explosive ordnance disposal squad is going to be heavily armoured.

Bear in mind the cartridge used by the guns from before 343i took over used NATO Rounds- literally the same bullet as we use today. The only reason the MA5D, BR85HB, M395 and SRS99-S5/AM have a larger cartridge is because they are all designed for usage by the Spartan-IV personnel. But even then, te rounds aren't much bigger.

We also know the rifles operate the same as today because they emit a casing upon firing and are gas-operated, I would expect at least a shell-less round by the 26th century. However, we are making great strides in mass driver (Railgun and Coilgun) technology, radiation-based weaponry (Lasers, microwaves, gamma, etc) and plasma weaponry; this is technology that should be outdated by the 2500's, not cutting-edge.

Today's military would have little to no chance against the UNSC. The reason as to why bullets were still used before initial contact with the Covenant, is because there was a long time of peace in which there was no (or slight) weapon development. I don't understand why the UNSC still don't use hand-held plasma weaponry.

Do you know (or have an idea) why, or believe there is no legitimate answer to it?

Today's military would have little to no chance against the UNSC. The reason as to why bullets were still used before initial contact with the Covenant, is because there was a long time of peace in which there was no (or slight) weapon development. I don't understand why the UNSC still don't use hand-held plasma weaponry.

Do you know (or have an idea) why, or believe there is no legitimate answer to it?

I have done the research. The only feasible advances in technology the UNSC has is spacecraft and Spartans (The latter of which we can do better now)

Apart from those two things, our military night is at least on par with the UNSC army, marines, Air Force and wet navy.

Because 343 and Bungie know that if the UNSC started using plasma replacement weapons, the fanbase would ***** about it, even if it was a reskin. Using modern weapons that far in the future makes literally zero sense.

^

The Spartan armour may not be that advanced but the augmentations that make people Spartans are certainly impressive still. :)

I fail to see how a 50/50 washout rate is impressive. The Spartan-IV's are not augmented beyond simple implants for a reason.

^

But the ones who survive are impressive. :)

Besides the Spartan IV implants are still much better than anything we have today.

Yes, because they were abducted as children and experimented on as children; procedures that do not work on a willing adult. I won't get into the ethics of the S-II program, but the augmentations themselves certainly aren't impressive. Necessary? Yes. Useful? Yes. Impressive? Absolutely not.

the spartan IV's get no strength assist from their augmentations; their GEN2 MJOLNIR does the heavy lifting and puts them on-par with an S-II in GEN1 armour.

So, GEN2 is really much better than GEN1 and is the main reason the Spartan-IV's have any success at all; they aren't much better than regular marines out of armour.

I'm with Caboose on this one; the Spartan-IIs are not easily beaten, especially by any human force. Their training and augmentations are unmatched. Their armour is better than anything possible today. All Spartan-IIs can easily wipe out an entire modern day nation, and more, with weaponry. I'm not at all over exaggerating, and couldn't be any more serious.

Speed, strength, stamina, flexibility, agility. Have you seen the training necessary to become an FBI trooper? It requires very little of those five fitness factors I mentioned. A fit 13 year old could pass it, which is worrying considering the FBI does not employ 13 year olds for combat. Training for some modern day nations' military or defense personnel is honestly quite pathetic, especially in comparison to the Spartan-IIs.

I'm with Caboose on this one; the Spartan-IIs are not easily beaten, especially by any human force. Their training and augmentations are unmatched. Their armour is better than anything possible today. All Spartan-IIs can easily wipe out an entire modern day nation, and more, with weaponry. I'm not at all over exaggerating, and couldn't be any more serious.

Speed, strength, stamina, flexibility, agility. Have you seen the training necessary to become an FBI trooper? It requires very little of those five fitness factors I mentioned. A fit 13 year old could pass it, which is worrying considering the FBI does not employ 13 year olds for combat. Training for some modern day nations' military or defense personnel is honestly quite pathetic, especially in comparison to the Spartan-IIs.

And again, I specifically discounted the Spartan programs and any space-borne weaponry, as those are both extreme technological advances and both special scenarios. I was exclusively referring to the UNSC Marines, Army, Air Force and the 'wet' navy (Ocean-based navy like today), as examples of what would be utterly destroyed by, say, NATO today.

You must keep in mind the population size of the UNSC. I'm sure the population will be far bigger over 500 years from today.

We know the Spartan-IIs studied Physics more than any other Science. Between Psychology (probably not taught), Chemistry and Biology, which do you believe were taught the most and the least?

You must keep in mind the population size of the UNSC. I'm sure the population will be far bigger over 500 years from today.

We know the Spartan-IIs studied Physics more than any other Science. Between Psychology (probably not taught), Chemistry and Biology, which do you believe were taught the most and the least?

An educated guess says ~46 billion (23 killed by war, to expand through space with Earth at the centre, roughly half of humanity was killed. Therefore 46 billion is a reasonable estimate for a population). But I am literally referring to technology. I stated nowhere I was bringing population into it.

Anyway, I imagine all three equally. Psychology is good for analysing an enemy's elections and tactics, chemistry for simple chemical knowledge (Ex. Knowing that fire won't explode a sodium bomb) and biology for basic medical knowledge and knowing where to kill people the easiest.

^

Well lets say we put an even number of UNSC troops and Nato troopers together to battle it out. :)

Chances are it would be 50/50, as Bacon said, apart from the Spartans and Spacecraft they are not very advanced.

I'd put it more 70/30 to NATO; an M1A2 Abrams does everything better than a scorpion tank, minus the crew requirements (4-5 for a modern AFV, 2 marines for the Scorpion). A UNSC flamethrower and shotgun have much less range than today, at much less the ammo capacity. Assualt rifle doesn't even have sights (Somewhat remedied in Halo 5), a warthog has no armour plating for it's passengers and weapons have both gotten bulkier and less customisable in centuries gone by.

I personally highly doubt they'd be trained in Psychology as much as they would in Biology and Chemistry. Thanks for giving me the idea of how they'd use Psychology, didn't think of it that way before. They did originally exist to fight Insurrectionists, which are human, so the idea of using Psychology to determine their actions makes perfect sense.

Two questions. :)

1: How did the Gravemind on installation 06 teleport Chief all the way up to High charity?

I doubt the Halo teleportation grid is that big.

2 How the chuff did Gravemind get into High charity?

1) High Charity is extremely small and a Halo's teleportation grid extending a few thousand kilometres isn't a stretch from the 10,000 km diameter.

2) It somehow got on the Clad, then you know the rest.

^

Yes. :)

So, Gravemind got onto Clad somehow? How did he do that, isn't Clad also in space? So why couldn't Gravemind just teleport to High charity instead of going through Clad?

On the level Quarantine Zone, you can see the clad hovering a few hundred metres above the quarantine zone, to support the UNSC deployment there.

It is assumed that a Forerunner device won't teleport flood biomass, for obvious reasons.

What and how were those vision things occurring in H3?

You know, time would slow down and you would see Cortana and sometimes Gravemind talking to you.

I think they actually happened, but how?

The first time you have one of those vision things a Marine mentions how your vitals dropped out for a second...... :)

What and how were those vision things occurring in H3?

You know, time would slow down and you would see Cortana and sometimes Gravemind talking to you.

I think they actually happened, but how?

The first time you have one of those vision things a Marine mentions how your vitals dropped out for a second...... :)

A) It's not Cortana, but Gravemind impersonating her(Until you get to high charity)

B) Gravey used the Domain, it is implied.

• 2 months later...