Halo Lore AMA

BaconShelf

As the title suggests, this is an AMA- ask me anything- on the subject of Halo's lore. Ask me whatever youwant regarding Halo story and I will answer (Unless the question is blatantly a joke post, anyway)

You may be thinking, "Why should I not just go on Halopedia?", well you should. But I probably won't give several thousand word answers like you may see on Halopedia. So it depends, how much time do you have?

Ask away!

• Like 5

What does a baby flood (Infection Form) do to it's host from the moment it latches on, to the moment it burrows itself in their chest?

What was it that the Timeless one said that made the Ancient Humans kill themselves?

Edited by rrhuntington

What does a baby flood (Infection Form) do to it's host from the moment it latches on, to the moment it burrows itself in their chest?

What was it that the Timeless one said that made the Ancient Humans kill themselves?

Latch onto the host's spinal cord and take control of the nervous system, then inject the host body with the Flood Super Cell (FSC) to spur growth and conversion into flood biomass, making the infection form able to change the host's form like growing tentacles at will.

Didn't say anything. A keymind simply has a power over minds that great it could essentially will/ alter a subject's mental state to that of despiar and fear.

• Like 1

How the chuff did that pod thing/Possible chunk of High charity rip through the Shadow of intents armour and heavily damage it and destroy all its weapon systems?

It makes no sense, unless you can explain it.... :)

http://www.halopedia.org/images/thumb/e/e1/ShadowOfIntent_H3_LevCovenant1.jpeg/640px-ShadowOfIntent_H3_LevCovenant1.jpeg

Edited by Caboose The Ace

Why does the binary rifle have that line thingy if you're zoomed in?

Probably a gameplay feature, or for use as a laser sight like conventional military weaponry in use today. It's morelikely a balancing feature to balance the 1HK nature of the weapon

How the chuff did that pod thing/Possible chunk of High charity rip through the Shadow of intents armour and heavily damage it and destroy all its weapon systems?

It makes no sense, unless you can explain it.... :)

http://www.halopedia.org/images/thumb/e/e1/ShadowOfIntent_H3_LevCovenant1.jpeg/640px-ShadowOfIntent_H3_LevCovenant1.jpeg

The same way a MAC round can gut a capital ship; high mass, high kinetic energy, high velocity. It impacts with a good amount of force, and you're seeing a lot of destruction.

Or bad Bungie writing, your choice.

• Like 1

I think Bungie's bad writing makes more sense....  :)

In, Halo the Flood ( If I remember correctly, though it might have been First strike, or a bit of both )

It is talked about how exposed the standard Unsc ships bridges are and how one well placed shot at the Bridge can go through the entire ship and kill everyone on-board.

It is also talked about how the Covenant hide their bridges, well not hide but make them more hard to hit so they cannot be one shotted, compared to the exposed Unsc bridges.

Why didn't the Unsc in more than 24 years of warfare amend this huge design flaw with their ships? 

I think Bungie's bad writing makes more sense.... :)

In, Halo the Flood ( If I remember correctly, though it might have been First strike, or a bit of both )

It is talked about how exposed the standard Unsc ships bridges are and how one well placed shot at the Bridge can go through the entire ship and kill everyone on-board.

It is also talked about how the Covenant hide their bridges, well not hide but make them more hard to hit so they cannot be one shotted, compared to the exposed Unsc bridges.

Why didn't the Unsc in more than 24 years of warfare amend this huge design flaw with their ships?

Why are modern aircraft carriers' bridges not placed in the centre of a ship?

Building large craft takes time, and designing newer ones takes more time. The pre-Halo 4 UNSC craft are based off of ships in use against insurrectionists (Note they had only been in service for about 20 years) that didn't have those capabilities of space combat. After te war started, most efforts went towards creating the UNSC Infinity as well as the Strident, Vindication and Poseidon class ships (alongside the Autumn class based off the PoA's upgrades), but they only saw completion and thus limited action towards the end of the war.

Please give the most reasonable explanation of why Pillar of Autumn was on Reach in Halo: Reach when it was supposed to be in space according to The Fall of Reach. I'm still unsure of the whole thing because I didn't read all the data logs.

The data drops appear to be a Retcon of some sort regarding the time. I do recommend reading the data drops as they do a pretty good explanation regarding everything, including why the Autumn has M90 Shotguns while Reach has M45's, the Atmospheric Boosters and a couple of other tidbits. If you read them alongside Halsey's Journal, they do make quite the difference.

Pls answer dis:

How did the majority of Spartan 2's die? Y is chief boss? Y lack of moar bad-arses?

Sarcasm is serious, yo.

These are the ones I can remember;

Sam- Died in 2525 after his suit breached while boarding a Covenant Ship. He stayed behind to detonate a nuke (This was the Spartans' first contact with covenant)

Solomon/ Arthur- Died in Operation: Warm Blanket (Halo Legends, the Package)

Jorge-Died detonating a slipspace bomb aboard the CSO-Class Supercarrier Long Night of Solace

Black Team (All four of them)-Died fighting the Didact on Installation 03 shortly after the events of Halo 4

Randall-Died detonating a HAVOK Tac-nuke on the Alpha Shard. He was a decommissioned Spartan but eh, he was still a II.

Daisy- Died on Harvest (Halo Legends, Homecoming)

Soren-Crippled by the augmentations and defected to the insurrection. Shot down in a pelican while trying to escape reach

Kurt-Formally died early in the war,and became leader if the SIII's. Actually died on Onyx by Covenant hands.

Will- Also died on Onyx

The majority of Spartan II's died on Reach, though.

Here's the ones that are alive;

Naomi-010

John-117

Kelly-(Forgot tag)

Fred-104

Linda-084

Musa- Crippled by augmentations and works in ONI (wheelchair-bound) as the pseudo head of the SPARTAN branch.

Douglas, Alice, Jerome- Unknown. Presumed alive

Grey Team- Unknown, presumed alive

Cassandra-Unknown, presumed alive

Maria-Left the Spartans and started a family

A bunch of others that were crippled by augmentations now work in ONI

That spartan that was in the DOA4 halo expansion that I forgot the name of is also a canon character. Even if the events if the DOA stuff aren't.

I'll give the best answer I can; chief has never been stated to be the smartest, strongest, fastest or the most charismatic of the Spartans. He was always average: but he was a leader, and he had luck. The former because he could evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a team and use them because he had an amazing tactical mind. The latter is due to the Librarians Geas.

See: Spartan-III, Spartan-IV, ODST

That's not a definitive list, that's the majority. There's probably a couple I forgot to mention.

Edited by BaconShelf
  • Like 1

Why do the brutes' armor explode?

Probably gameplay. Or they turn into the Hulk and grow bigger when they get angry.

Seriously, to my knowledge, that's more a gameplay nuance to differentiate them from fighting Sangheili. In reality, I doubt that armour made to the same standard would disintegrate when damaged. Like a Brute Chieftain.

To develop a theory, though, is that Jiralhanae power armour was not perfected before introduction. Consequently, as the armour takes more damage, the energy shield emitters have to work harder to keep te shields up. When the enitter overheats, shields collapse, and the armour must disintegrate to stop the user from being burned/ hurt by their own armour. Though I wouldn't use this as fact, rather a speculation.

It's a good one to ask Grim for Canon Fodder though ^^

• Like 1

What happened to the Spirit of fire?

Drifted in space (and still is). It was encountered in 2558 (Shortly after spartan Ops) by infinity when a supply freighter and multiple attack craft registered to said ship attacked infinity. The ship itself is orbiting the planet seen in the credits, with empty cryo bays, rogue infection forms in said bays and signs saying abandon ship.

• Like 2

So I recently read Halo: Escalation, and it looked like the Didact was composed. I'm not sure about that though so correct me if I'm wrong. But if he was, I thought he couldn't be composed?

He couldn't be composed by one. He had six go off next to him at once.

• Like 1

What is the Domain?

A precursor construct that was created over 150 billion years ago (Our universe is only 14.5b years old, for context). It was used by the Forerunners as a space Internet, essentially, but was alive in it's own right with thoughts and goals of it's own. Like all Precursor constructs, it was largely destroyed when the Halo array fired (Precursors use 'neural physics', which Halos obliterate), though it survived in some shape or form, as the terminals were trying to contact it.

Additional; The Domain exhibited some form of healing powers, as it was intended to heal the Didact's mind over his 100,000 year imprisonment after the array went off, but it's destruction caused the commander to simply go insane. Another facet of the Domain was that it was used by the flood (Who were precursors) to allow Graveminds and keyminds to share information and memories; why this means is that the current Gravemind has the experience and knowledge of it's predecessors thousands of years ago. If the domain is coming back, that is very bad news.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plasma Pistols didn't have an EMP affect on vehicles in Halo CE or Halo Wars, but it did in Reach. Why is this?

Gameplay. In-canon, all plasma pistols are capable of an overcharge; this is seen in Halo CE and Halo 2 as an overcharge still depletes shielding, but the idea to disable vehicles wasn't brought in until Halo 3. It has been stated that all plasma weapons have the same internal mechanisms, and that differences between variants are only aesthetics (Lights, colours, patterns, etc)

A lot of stuff like this tends to be gameplay-related rather than lore related.

Why and What could have Truth Seen in the Brutes to choose them over the Elites?

-Obedience, unquestioning. The Jiralhanae were inducted into the Covenant and had their own religious customs, but absorbed theCovenant's culture easily, as they saw the San 'Shyuum as pack leaders/ alphas. Sangheili will question orders if they seem them wrong, one example being many who thought humans to have fought honourably in the War, moreso than Unggoy or Kig-Yar and thought humanity should have been invited into the Covenant (And that it was odd they never were).

Sangheili still cling to their pre-Covenant traditions, however small, and that makes them dangerous; a Sangheili uprising could (did) cripple the infrastructure of the military both with a good portion of it's soldiers rebelling and losing several key industrial facilities on Sanghelios and other worlds.

So yeah, brutes: unquestioning and loyal.

• Like 1