Is MP still competitive?

GeorgiaTech

I'm an old school player from back in the day (pre-nerf of Arby-Anders and maybe 6 months to a year afterwards?) and stopped playing HW ~5 years ago. Wouldn't call myself a 'top player' but I was probably in the second tier of HW players and was friends with and played with/against lots of top players. Really loved this game and have tons of fond memories with it, and I finally have some time over the summer to really sink my teeth into it again.

My questions:

Is the multiplayer still competitive to any degree? In the old days there was real heavy competition and rivalry both in-game and in the old forums (legendary flame wars) and it was just a blast. I was saddened to come here and see the forums mostly dead, but is there still a reasonable online community (don't have Gold atm and it will be a few days). Has the metagame changed noticeably since the early days? I'm talking mostly in terms of 1v1, since that's what I'll be playing. What are the main builds going around for 1v1? Have there been any balance patches?

• Like 1

I was saddened to come here and see the forums mostly dead, but is there still a reasonable online community...

Seems pretty lively to me, but it could be better. You would have to see the Shoutbox to see the actual activity (if you don't see it right now). I blame MCC, and lack of news.

We'll get an activity spike once the news starts rolling in pre-E3, and after. Not to mention the ODST MCC hype.

To answer your question, yes, Halo is still competitive. It's never not been competitive. However the balance is horrible in MCC, and I hope they fix this problem soon.

Edited by Self Destruct

I'm going to assume you're talking specifically about Halo Wars, since that's where you posted.
Next to no one plays the game online in matchmaking anymore, your best option is to find a couple of friends to play against in custom games.

If you're talking about Halo in general, MCC constantly has championship series on Twitch and 343i are deadset on making Halo 5 Guardians the best format of online competitive gameplay we've seen for Halo, and from what we saw in the beta it looks like they have the potential to deliver.

I play halo wars everyday. At first I just wanted to get the achievement for being a general(which is what I'm still doing now lol), but after a while I thought it was quite fun to be competitive in multiplayer. It's still quite active, you'll get surprised :D

Waiting time for a match is usually 1-15 mins and it's still as competitive as always. I still feel like arby's a bit OP though lol 

• 2 months later...