Nintendo's New Console?

Pbrabbit

I had read somewhere recently that Nintendo is possibly going to be coming out with a new console in the future.

What do you think a new console for Nintendo would look like? Do you think they should even make another Console? What do you guys think?

I understand if they decide to start working on the console behind closed doors, but announcing it at this point seems like a bad decision. It makes me feel like they're throwing the Wii U under the bus.

They should work on making the Wii U better, and not cheapen the experience of the current console (which is still in it's early years). 

Edited by Self Destruct

The "NX" won't be announced until at least next year, Nintendo already said that, so It probably won't be released until 2017 at the earliest.

It doesn't matter if the Wii U has potential, it hasn't sold very well, and it's not viewed as a "current gen" console by most people, more like the equal to the 360 C or the PS3 slim. I know it's not, and that it's capable of more than most people know, but it doesn't matter at this point since it can't out do the One or the PS4.

On the other hand, they probably can't get a better opportunity to get ahead. Since now that they know very well what the One and the PS4 are capable of, they have a huge chance to develop a console that is more powerful, as Microsoft and Sony aren't going to be able to oppose it with better tech, since their console foundation for the next 10ish years has already been set.

And while they work on the hardware, they can live off of their 3DS and Wii U game sales, along with their new mobile branch.

Lastly, they've been working on a Gold/Plus equivalent for that past few years, and I assume they are going to announce it soon. If they lay the ground rules and such out right, and don't do anything that would be frowned upon by the public (Xbox DRM, PS4 HDCP, etc), then they could easily get back into the console race, and possibly out do Microsoft and Sony, since games have never been an issue for Nintendo.

tl;dr ~ Nintendo is making a good move by moving on and not trying to fix with the past.

• Like 2

Fishy, have you lost it? :D
Unless this is a troll attempt.....

"The Wii U was byfar the most superior in the current gen"

The WII U is barley more powerful than a 360...... and the 360 is almost a decade old, I would not call it superior in anyway to the Ps4 and Xb1.

All I want from NX is it to be as powerful as a Ps4 if not more powerful.

• Like 1

The WII U is barley more powerful than a 360...... and the 360 is almost a decade old, I would not call it superior in anyway to the Ps4 and Xb1.

All I want from NX is it to be as powerful as a Ps4 if not more powerful.

In my opinion, Nintendo isn't in the whole console war to try to beat Microsoft or Sony, they know they will still have a fan-base from older Nintendo players and children. That being said they will still make boatloads of money from classic Nintendo exclusives. From my point of view, I see Microsoft and Sony rushing to become the ultimate gaming company, while Nintendo is taking their time making family games that new generation players would love. (Which by the way is a good thing.)

• Like 1

I'd agree with Melody, I definitely wouldn't say Nintendo is the rival of Microsoft or Sony. Their games are classics though, and that's what's so great about Nintendo. I would have bought a Wii U if it was more than just better graphics and recording ability, but at the time of it's release I had just purchased a Wii-- I know, I'm behind >.<-- and I didn't feel the need to get the Wii U. If a new console was released within the next couple of years I could see myself buying it.

• Like 2

^
^

Well the numbers lie..... :D

What is the best selling current gen system? The Ps4 that's what! :)

Your right that Nintendo isn't a rival, Nintendo isn't even in Ms and Sony's league, they are a few levels below. They are stick in 1990 time warp that is killing their business.

They have generally failed to adapt to the gaming market with their only saving grace being the 3DS... but if that wasn't around, Nintendo would be screwed, no question.

And what is this family game rubbish? Family games are casual gamers and you want to know where all the casual family gamers are now?

The Mobile gaming market, the casual console market is dead...

I do not think you know what I mean. Take a look yourself. Which looks better? Of course, you're going to be the dumb troll and say "PS4" because you're a kissass fanboy.

post-7524-0-79415800-1431536308.pngpost-7524-0-59020300-1431536314.png

^

*coughs loudly*

Look at these sales numbers, it seems the majority of console gamers disagree. smile.png

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 19,052,353

Xbox One Total Sales: 11,298,462

Wii U Total Sales: 9,137,844

( As of Feb 2015 )

Edited by Caboose The Ace

I do not think you know what I mean. Take a look yourself. Which looks better? Of course, you're going to be the dumb troll and say "PS4" because you're a kissass fanboy.

Screenshot 2015-05-13 at 11.55.23 AM.png Screenshot 2015-05-13 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Literally the only thing it does best is backwards comparability, and that's because if it isn't have it, it would have about 5 games.

• Like 1

People insulting Nintendo and throwing around buzzwords like "relevant" or "lack of performance" are clearly ignorant and misinformed

It doesn't matter if you dislike the Wii U. It doesn't matter if you think Nintendo games are for kids(Thats because the family audience is their target audience and largest demographic) . It doesn't matter if the PS4 can render more polygons then the highest end of Wii U games. 

Nintendo is what sparked life and good game design and (occasionally) good practices in the industry. The Playstation is a direct result of a failed partnership with Sony. What is regarded as one of the top fighting game franchies with the likes of Street Fighter and MK? Smash Bros. What is regarded as the best 2D Platformer series? Mario. What is regarded as the best party game? Mario Party. What is regarded as the best kart racing series? Mario Kart. What is the most popular handheld gaming peripheral excluding smartphones? Nintendo 3DS. 

I dont care if your opinion differs from what was said above. Nintendo is a money making powerhouse but they do something Sony and Microsoft fail to do consistently. That thing is called "Quality"

Nintendo games are some of the best designed triple AAA games on the market. Some of your favorite titles were probably influenced by a Nintendo game or Nintendo designer. There is a reason you rarely here of a Mario game being "bad"(although there are some) because theyre made with quality in mind. Of course Nintendo isnt perfect and not all of their titles are top notch but they have a higher rated exclusive library then Sony or Microsoft.

Nintendo's impact on the industry is whats important. For a lot of kids a Nintendo game is the first thing they ever play. Its thanks to Nintendo that kids are still growing up with games with excellent design and not playing some money grubbing trash like Candy Crush(although some kids still do sadly)

If Nintendo was actually "not relevant" then nobody would care about the Wii U sales. Nobody. The 3DS wouldnt be the best selling  handheld in the market and Smash Bros wouldnt be at eSports events like Evo. The beautiful thing is that a huge amount of people do care. If you're ignorant enough to truly believe Nintendo isn't important anymore then good for you. Its fine if you dislike Nintendo games or products. Their target audience is kids(this is a forum for a Mature rated game so I dont expect to find many Nintendo fans on here) and while they still accommodate for their older fanbase we aren't the primary focus(with exceptions like fantastic games such as Bayonetta 2) 

So quit trying to act edgy with your "lol lack of titles" or "lol weaker then a 360" and please contribute to the discussion in a way that doesnt make you sound uninformed. 

To actually get back on the topic. I am fairly confident the new console is going to be similar to what they did with the "new3DS". Its going to be the same as the Wii U just with better hardware. Nintendo will still support the Wii U but release titles exclusive to the "newWii U". Its Nintendo acting strange and pulling off absurd business practices as usual but as long as we get a Animal Crossing game on consoles I am fine with that. 

• Like 5

^

One massive problem however is the lack of third party support. :)

I'm sure the Wii U would have sold much better if it supported third party games.

And its not even Nintendo being scared about common gaming practises such as Youtube or Online services, like usual.

Many top ranking Nintendo guys have expressed interest in getting Third party support, sadly not enough.

The Wii u was built to be slightly more powerful than a 360 ( a decade old piece of tech, almost )

So by doing that, Nintendo did make themselves irrelevant to an extent. Because, unless someone really loves their exclusive games, they are not going to get a Wii u.

I know lots of people who really like Nintendo games, but don't want to get it because of little third party support.

Back to the point.... So by making the Wii u as powerful as a 360, why would anyone really want to get it besides the games?

If someone's looking for an all gaming system they are not going to get a Wii u, because its pretty much only supported by games made by Nintendo so he/she is going to run out of games to play pretty fast.

Especially with the Ps4 and Xb1 around the corner at the time....

I don't think I have explained my point too well, but you get the general idea of things.

Nintendo made themselves irrelevant to an extent by making it as powerful as a 360, thus robbing them of good third party support for the future.

Then again, its also because of the Wii u's poor sales numbers.

One day I will merge all consoles into one, and we will all join, and sing Victory Everlasting. The Super console named: WiiStationBox One-Four. Harmony at last. MAster Chief is in Smash, and Mario is an Easter egg in Gears of War.

Anywhoway, Nintendo will always have a certain respect from me. N64 in the early 2000's, my first console that was specifically mine. Back then, I have to say the quality of every game on that console (Except for Superman 64 and a few exceptions) was superb. Bnus really isn't lying when it comes to Nintendo's performance record.. Even with Hardware limitations, their games for the most part, have still been Great. At least from what I have heard, I don't play Nitendo anymore, but I rarely hear of Broken Nintendo games having awful launches, and 15,000 Battlepack Microtransactions.Just because the console is limited doesn't mean there's not stuff the N does better than MS and Sony.

You cannot deny what they have done for the industry. When you're playing your Xbox or PS4, or any console or game, just remember who saved this industry back in the 80's with that Fat Italian Plumber.

• Like 1

One day I will merge all consoles into one, and we will all join, and sing Victory Everlasting. The Super console named: WiiStationBox One-Four. Harmony at last. MAster Chief is in Smash, and Mario is an Easter egg in Gears of War.

Anywhoway, Nintendo will always have a certain respect from me. N64 in the early 2000's, my first console that was specifically mine. Back then, I have to say the quality of every game on that console (Except for Superman 64 and a few exceptions) was superb. Bnus really isn't lying when it comes to Nintendo's performance record.. Even with Hardware limitations, their games for the most part, have still been Great. At least from what I have heard, I don't play Nitendo anymore, but I rarely hear of Broken Nintendo games having awful launches, and 15,000 Battlepack Microtransactions.Just because the console is limited doesn't mean there's not stuff the N does better than MS and Sony.

You cannot deny what they have done for the industry. When you're playing your Xbox or PS4, or any console or game, just remember who saved this industry back in the 80's with that Fat Italian Plumber.

You make a fantastic point. I can't wait to see all the consoles merged together!

• Like 1

I love how everyone keeps attributing Nintendo to paving the way, and giving us a revolutionized industry.  maybe you silly kids should do some homework.  Nintendo didn't enter the games development arena until 1974 and produced their first coin-op games in 1976.  Bushnel, Magnavox and Sega are what created the industry and Atari ran with it.  Fact is most of the games and design ideas for games that we saw from companies like Bushnel, Magnavox, Atari and Sega were created almost a full decade before Nintendo even got started.  So please, spare me with the whole "Nintendo is an Era Savior" theme.

It wasn't until 1983 that Nintendo starting putting together development for a home console, and it didn't hit until 1985.  That's a full 7+ years to the home consoles already around at the time, with a library that overshadows anything Nintendo and Sega did combined.  Nintendo was late to the party and has always been since the NES came out.

Nintendo banked on families coming together to play games, the motion controller schema and it failed miserably.  Microsoft and Sony followed but broke off early, knowing that families would not come together to play and that the motion controllers were a fad.  Sales numbers and gaming opinions don't lie. Nintendo banked on a lot of things that have put them in trouble.  Just like way back in the 90's when they decided to be more "Kid Friendly" and remove the blood and gore from Mortal Kombat on the SNES.  The resulting gamble was that almost everyone in the country jumped the Nintendo ship and bought a Genesis.  You can't properly defend a company that has been mismanaging it's assets and hardware division for the last 20 years.

Yes in the end Nintendo has a boat load of money, but very little of that is a result from direct hardware or 1st party sales in the console division.  Why do you think it is that nobody really tries to make a 3DS killer?  Because it's the ONLY market Nintendo knows, and kills very well.  As for relevance, no THEY ARE NOT EVEN RELEVANT.  They have a horrible business model that shows weakness over the last 2 decades and gen wars.  They use proprietary low grade hardware components with even more so low grade handling capabilities.  Their stories are not even relevant anymore.  They still bank on an almost 60 year old plumber with the same reoccurring boring story of "Bad guy steals princess, fat overweight retard saves her", oops, she's in another area/world/castle.

So no, you can't properly defend Nintendo or it's business practices, and your quite feeble attempt to quote, show and argue otherwise was poor and mediocre at best.  "Best Answer"......what a joke that one was.

Nintendo needs to re-evaluate it's demographic and business model and start adjusting to the core of the gaming world if it truly wants to survive and stay in the home console race.  It needs REAL 3rd party support for AAA games.  Sega tried all this before and eventually folded.  granted Nintendo has more than 10x the cash Sega had, but it is inevitable unless real change and a serious push into gaming happens.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...