Tesla Home Batteries

The Director

So you may have heard of these already, but in case you haven't here's the rundown.

1. The battery is used to hold power for a house or business.

- This means that if the house or business is using solar power, the battery can be charged with the panels and then power can be drawn from it at night, completely obliterating your need for the power grid.

- The battery can also apparently be used as a backup system in case of power loss, with no solar power required.

2. The battery comes in two varieties, one pending release.

-The Powerwall is the battery that you use in your home and costs around $3500 usd.

-The Powerpack is the battery that you would use for a business and the price has not yet been released.

3. Of course there's some controversy.

-The battery appears to be similar to the one used in Tesla's electric cars.

-The car battery also appears to hold more power longer.

-The cost of the battery may prevent most homeowners from purchasing it.

-Economically it is cheaper to use natural gas backup generators in power outages, despite this though it may transform the market for home power storage.

So now that you have all of the information, what's your opinion on it? Do you think this is a game changer, or is it simply an attempt by a company to look more 'edgy'?

Working around the automotive industry, I have heard of it before.

Tesla makes great cars, and imo i think they are just trying tp expand their range.

Also... i don't see that much of a controversy with it, personally.

Working around the automotive industry, I have heard of it before.

Tesla makes great cars, and imo i think they are just trying tp expand their range.

Also... i don't see that much of a controversy with it, personally.

Well the primary controversy around it is that the battery appears to be less powerful than the one they use in their vehicles, which many critics think is intentional to get some larger homeowners to purchase multiple batteries for their homes. Others believe that the only reason Tesla is coming out with this battery is part of a public relations campaign. This idea is supported by the cost of the battery and that there are several other, cheaper options out there.

As I said in the OP, there's only *some* controversy. 

Well the primary controversy around it is that the battery appears to be less powerful than the one they use in their vehicles, which many critics think is intentional to get some larger homeowners to purchase multiple batteries for their homes. Others believe that the only reason Tesla is coming out with this battery is part of a public relations campaign. This idea is supported by the cost of the battery and that there are several other, cheaper options out there.

As I said in the OP, there's only *some* controversy. 

Easier to fork out money for a smaller battery (one at a time) rather than for one big battery. More convenient.