Reaction when you first played as the Arbiter in Halo 2?

Don't lie- the reason Bungie cut Covenant levels from Halo 3 is because of the outcry over the Thel 'Vadam levels in Halo 2, and that people hated it. 

That said, I loved being able to play from an alternate perspective, until I got to the flood missions, then picked up again as I played Uprising and The Great Journey- even though H2 brutes are just damage sponges.

totally not ripping off the other thread 

• Like 1

I suppose if anything it was expected ( due to the cut scene in the first mission with Thel ) :) I knew we would see Thel again at some point and I was right.

When I first played from his perspective I thought "wow playing as the enemy this is awesome!"

Then I realised it was just like playing as Chief reskinned but better because Active camo.

It forever cemented me into wanting to play as Elite in every Halo MP ever. I really did think it was the coolest thing ever to play as the alien, and as the enemy you fought so many battles against in the first game. Tu bad 343 doesn't really like the idea of Elites in their MP anymore. I was also hoping that in Co-op for Halo 5 Arbiter would have been a playable character, but with the introduction of the 4 man Spartan teams that also seems unlikely. Unless one of the team members dies or there's 5 player Co-op.

Forever Dinosaur in MP. :) . (Even though I call them water snakes)

I've always loved elites, I liked playing as them more than Spartans in multiplayer when that was first possible. I was sad when they took that feature out in newer Halo games.. Now it has to be a specific game type for you to play as an elite, which makes my heart hurt...

Anyway, back to the actual question… I thought it was amazing!!! It's all I ever wanted from a Halo game and it was finally happening! Halo 3 was such an awesome game because playing co-op as playing two meant playing as the Arbiter again. The flood sucked a lot, which I hated, but other than that I liked playing as an elite better.

Halo 2 was the first Halo I played and I was pretty young at the time so I didn't really care. Now I don't mind it too much because of having invisibility but, I hate being forced to use Covenant weapons which I don't like. Still pretty fun to be able to play as someone else besides MC all the time. Main reason I liked ODST so much. 

I wasn't impressed personally. The levels weren't bad (though the Flood still sucked in my opinion) story wise. It just didn't make me care all that much. It became a jarring transition between the MC and the Arbiter while playing through that kind of disrupted the flow of the game to me. That all being said it was the games saving grace in my eyes. The Covenant perspective was unique to see, even if I wasn't all that impressed with it. Put it a step above Halo 3 (not hard to do in my eyes).

All in all, it could have been worse. Could have been much better too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Arbiter had a special place in my gaming world when Halo 2 was released. Although this may be the fact that I just love aliens in general. My reaction was surprised, it's not often you go around as a covenant creature. Therefore I took that opportunity at it's finest. 

Normally i was stoked when they flipped the points of view in Halo 2. As always The Master Chief is a badass so when Thal came into the picture and became the new Arbiter it made the player look at the Halo universe from a new perspective, and man was it a good one. It put you in an observers position, cause never before did any fan fully know what the story behind the covenant was, just that they were the bad guys. It actually gave me a new view on the elites to the point where up until Halo Reach i was pro-elites, after that they stopped giving the player the option of selecting elites as a character. Naturally i was pissed i still am, but that won't stop me from putting it down and taking names in multiplayer. Final thought, if they put elites back in that might be a time of converting maybe, cause in Halo Reach & 4 i found that i can make my spartan characters look pretty dope, so now im torn. Hmmm

• 3 weeks later...

^

Isn't playing as Locke kinda like playing as Arbiter in H2? Seeing the story from a different perspective. :)

Not really since Locke is still a human and he does not start with covenant weapons or have default active camo

I thought it was cool, I really liked the first two Arbiter level's atmosphere, the sword, and active camo. Halo 2 was my first game ever though so I really was not that surprised though.

Not really since Locke is still a human and he does not start with covenant weapons or have default active camo

I thought it was cool, I really liked the first two Arbiter level's atmosphere, the sword, and active camo. Halo 2 was my first game ever though so I really was not that surprised though.

Locke has the Artemis system.

Also, you still get a viewpoint. It is evident you spend a significant amount of time on Sunaion, and you are able to explore the UNSC's point of view of Blue team's absence; they don't have all the facts. In a similar way to how HunttheTruth has explored how civilians are in te post-war landscape, by not knowing the SPARTAN program, flood, forerunners and Ark, the UNSC doesn't know John's motivations right now, not do we know what the Guardians are, and so forth. Locke POV is there to examine John's character from the outside, when we don't know all the facts, something which has been done very little (If at all) in the series.