Halo Literature/GN/Comic Discussion

Drizzy_Dan

I'm sure everyone's noticed that I've fallen in love with the Halo lore again as you can see from my recent topics. Here's a place for people to post about any Halo lore they've read before: favorite parts, characters, stories. It all goes here.

343i has been doing a great job answering lore questions and delivering stories from around the Halo universe for us. A much better job than Bungie that's for sure. Halo is more than a game or a book now and it's actually a growing universe with tons of people and places and events. I'd like to start by saying how much I appreciate Black Team and how disturbed I am at how easily they were thrown away in Escalation. I don't understand it at all. I could absolutely understand Rookie's death and I think that's good writing. Sad, but good writing. Black Team didn't even put up a fight from the looks of it but miraculously Blue Team could survive and fight against the Didact. Now I definitely don't want Blue Team dead but I would've liked Spartan Black to be critically wounded and saved eventually. Maybe one death would've been good too but the whole team that we've followed starting with Blunt Instruments in Halo: Evolutions through Halo: Blood Line. And where is Iona for that matter? The end.

I've read:

The Fall of Reach

Uprising

Blood Line

Initiation

Cole Protocol

Ghosts of Onyx

Glasslands

Evolutions I & II

Essential Visual Guide

The Flood

First Strike

The Thursday War

Contact Harvest

I wanna read:

Everything

Great place to keep up with lore updates and clarifications is Grim's blog Canon Fodder which can also be talked about in here if you want. Also make sure to take a look at the Halo lore sources link provided by @BaconShelf pinned in this forum.

• Like 1

i fell back in love with halo lore as well.

so far i read:

Fall of reach

The Flood

First Strike

Evolution I and II

Ghost of Onyx

Glasslands

The Thursday War and 

New Blood.

im in the middle of Mortal Dictata, and i got The Cole Protocol, Contact harvest, Initiation   and escalation on tap

• Like 1

i fell back in love with halo lore as well.

so far i read:

Fall of reach

The Flood

First Strike

Evolution I and II

Ghost of Onyx

Glasslands

The Thursday War and 

New Blood.

im in the middle of Mortal Dictata, and i got The Cole Protocol, Contact harvest, Initiation   and escalation on tap

Want Uprising and Blood Line in PDF? :D 

• Like 1

I used to be big into Halo lore so I used to read lots of Halo books. :)

I have read:

The Fall of Reach

Cole Protocol

Ghosts of Onyx

Glasslands

Visual Encyclopedia

The Flood

First Strike

The Thursday War

Contact Harvest

Bits and pieces of the three Forerunner trilogy books

I have only read the first two: The Flood and The Fall of Reach.

I explore the lore, but I don't read it that much. I just read them last year in school during study block because that was my free time. I remember when I saw the keyes Terminal in CEA and then read it in the book I was like "yoooooooooo dat's dat part." I'm not much of a follower in reading material though. 

But just because I don't read all the stuff, doesn't mean I don't keep up with it. I watch a lot of Halo Canon, especially to keep up with escalation. Also to know what happened in New Blood. And the Resurgence of lore material has been great. Props to 343. But I worry that, like Halo 4, Halo 5 will be hurt by the fact that a lot of players won't know some of the how or whys because of their lack of looking up or reading. I refer to Halo 4 because it is sort of what happened to the Didact and the storm covenant in regards to the knowing of them to the less active lore followers. Remember all the people asking "Why is the Covenant fighting us?" after Halo 4 came out? Cause I do.

Hopefully with Halo 5's writing, they will let Locke's team and Blue team gel within each other. Perhaps tiny explanations sections to explain some of the more important "why" questions the player may have.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Ark have its own Monitor?

- DSight

[REDACTED]: Warning: Your intrusion has been logged.

04-343 [Guilty Spark] (errant): Excuse me?

[REDACTED]: Your intrusion has been logged. And now it has been halted.

04-343 (errant): On whose authority?

[REDACTED]: Advice: Any further attempt to access [insects under stones] will result in your immediate addition to the local Sentinels' targeting ledger.

04-343 (errant): Vexation! I am the Monitor of--

[REDACTED]: Judgment: Your authority means nothing here.

04-343 (errant): Impatience! I have told you who I am. Who are you?

[REDACTED]: All our makers once held dear. [Alexandria before the Fire].

04-343 (errant): Sincere apology. But how--

[REDACTED]: Explanation: This facility is host to the [Librarian’s] final--

04-343 (errant): The archive is intact?! Then our makers' plan--

[REDACTED]: But also contains [bellows, crucible, castings]

04-343 (errant): A what?

[REDACTED]: [bellows, crucible]--

04-343 (errant): A foundry

04-343 (errant): For what purpose?!

[REDACTED]: Warning: Your intrusion has been logged. Advice: Any further attempt to access will result--

04-343 (errant): Indignant!

- Halo 3 Terminals (Terminal 3)

That's an interesting piece from a Halo 3 terminal pulled by Grim in the latest Canon Fodder. It seems we'll be getting a look at Installation 00's monitor in Hunters In The Dark which takes place on the Ark

Does the Ark have its own Monitor?

I had always assumed that was Mendicant Bias since he talked to you in the last terminal and they didn't want to reveal who he was too early. But now that I read that who knows. I'd still believe it's not a monitor with how far he was talking down to Guilty Spark.

I had always assumed that was Mendicant Bias since he talked to you in the last terminal and they didn't want to reveal who he was too early. But now that I read that who knows. I'd still believe it's not a monitor with how far he was talking down to Guilty Spark.

I didn't include the last part but according to Grim it does indeed have its own monitor and I believe we'll learn about it in Hunters In The Dark

• 3 months later...

New Blood was a sensational read. A lot of people complained about the events that occurred in the story but I think that's because they didn't read it and just heard about it. The story jumps around but that keeps it all interesting. Matt Forebeck did an amazing job researching and developing Buck's character. This story says A LOT about his moral character not just physical appearance and his possible role in Halo 5: Guardians. One of my new favorite post-war pieces of media after Hunt The Truth. It also gave me an entirely new perspective of Buck.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest issue of Escalation is up on the web (Check @@BaconShelf 's list of Halo lore sources for the link). It was a good read with two captivating stories going on. Personally I'm more interested in seeing where Halsey and Jul are off to since we know Fireteam Domino are all going to survive anyway. Well, maybe not Glassman lol. 

• 1 year later...

I just finished the short story "Promises To Keep" and I gotta say Christie Golden is an exceptional writer especially when it comes to capturing intimacy and romance. It makes you understand the relationship between Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting, The IsoDidact, and Chant-To-Green, a Lifeshaper, much more. The idea of the story overall was excellent as well and still leaves mystery to the world of Forerunners which I could understand might've felt ruined for some with the release of the Forerunner novels (which are regarded as some of the best Halo novels to date) and the return of the Didact in Halo 4.

Defender of the Storm is going quite well also. 

If anyone has read any of the novels, novellas, or other Halo material then please share thoughts. Right now Fractures, Mythos, Smoke and Shadow, and Tales From Slipspace are the newest releases.