Not so new theory but....

X51000

Hey all,

Let me say I could've completely missed this discussion and this is probably old hat but I found this video:

I didn't quite believe it so I went back to the original cutscene and....

#blownaway

Yeah, this was about a year ago, but I would love discussions if a topic does not already exist, didn't find anything sooo....

Idk I've been very out of the loop lately please love me

• Like 1

HaloFollower isn't such a good source for lore. Just going to put that out there.

I'm aware he's not, but he spelled it out as simple as it could be for his viewers, and I found a few comments on a different video basically with the same idea.

EDIT: someone also pointed out: " You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You ARE Forerunner... but this ring is MINE!  "- 343 Guilty Spark, Halo 3

That said, there are plenty of theory comments on YouTube. I'm just saying HaloFollower isn't someone to rely on. Here's a few for show:

I'm fairly certain these trailers are entirely symbolic, and not depicting of an actual event in the game at all. The fact that the statue is in both trailers (although worse for wear in Chief's) and the fact that it's essentially the same situation but flipped in both trailers, both indicate symbolism. The dialogues confirm it in my mind. The statue is symbolic of chief and his status as the savior of humanity. Chief's trailer shows a broken statue because, as they pointed out, Cortana is missing, and when you acknowledge the broken visor, cloak, and empty Cortana chip of the other E3 trailer, it seems pretty obvious that Chief is a fugitive from ONI for some reason (searching for Cortana a strong possibility) and Locke is hunting him. Locke in his dialogue here says he wants Chief's legacy to be what he was, and that somehow he has changed and Locke holds him responsible for whatever conflicts are now happening. Chief likewise acknowledges that he is but a shell of what he once was, but he holds Locke responsible for whatever is happening because he is interfering with Chiefs mission related to him being a fugitive. Thus, the truth of who is right and who is wrong is hidden in a moral grey, and I imagine both will have good and bad characteristics throughout the campaign that cause people to take sides. But I don't expect one or the other to literally kill the other the way this scene is portrayed, unless in fact the campaign does involve choices and different endings.

Then there's these comments:

I think the motion trackers have something to do with the meaning of the trailer. Locke's tracker doesn't pick up Chief, yet Chief's clearly picks up Locke. I'd like to think that's a subtle way of saying Locke is hunting for a traitor in the Master Chief that doesn't exist. Like.. his mission was based on a lie. Could be pulling that conclusion out of nothing but I'd like to think 343 has some form of subtlety.

• Like 2