Gears of War 1 Remaster in Development

According to Polygon's insider sources, Gears of War 1 is being remastered on the Xbox One, but not by Black Tusk.

While we will inevitably start seeing more and more fresh content as the years go on, the current generation of consoles has had a large amount of remasters, most of them being very good, some, not so much. Polygon.com revealed that Gears of War 1 is soon to join the Xbox One's roster. They stated that it will be a full remaster with new cutscenes designed by Plastic Wax animation studios, and apparently, Polygon got a glimpse of these. A test build is rumored to go live at 9PM EST tonight, so we may see it soon enough. Sources still cannot confirm whether this will come as a bundle or as a standalone title, or if it's even releasing on-disk. What we can confirm, however, is that Brink developer Splash Damage studios will be creating the remaster with help from Black Tusk. Releasing a remaster would make sense considering next November is the 10 year anniversary of Gears of War 1. 

post-26953-0-76389600-1429917222.jpg

I'm personally very excited to see the new and improved version of one of my favorite video games of all time. I loved the dark tone and inventive settings Gears of War 1 brought us, with a great story to boot. I'd rather see a fully fledged remake of Gears of War 1 though than a collection of all 3 with a simply 1080p 60fps makeover. What are your thoughts? Comment below, I'm eager to see.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 6

I'd prefer Gears of War 2. That was my favorite one, and holds the most memories for me. Lots of private matches on Guardian. Gears 1 is my least played out of the original three but I will definitely take a look at what this will fully be when more details come out. Also the fact that Gears is about to be 10 years old is... really weird to say. *Old feeling sets in*

Good news EK. Looking forward to more stuff from Gears on Xbox one!

• Like 1

Screw Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3. 'Cause you know what they didn't have? KRYLL. THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY KRYLL. In Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3, you don't hear much about them. You see them, but they're avoiding you. However, Nightfall was probably my favorite Episode of all them. Every single chapter. Now I get to relive that moment on the Xbox One. Thanks to the REMASTER!

I can't wait, forum events are definitely going to be played on this. I already call dibs on the first event. None o' y'all gonna get it first, 'cept meh.

Good news EK, I'm excited for this. BOOMSHOT BABY YEAH! #83 THE COLE TRAIN!

• Like 2

Enough with the remasters, these remasters really are not needed...... :(

I brought a new console to play new games that the 360 and Ps3 simply couldn't handle, not for a lot of the games to be remasters......

This didn't happen in the previous generation, so why now?!

Enough with the remasters, these remasters really are not needed...... :(

I brought a new console to play new games that the 360 and Ps3 simply couldn't handle, not for a lot of the games to be remasters......

This didn't happen in the previous generation, so why now?!

Halo Anniversary, Fable Anniversary, Tomb Raider Collection, Resident Evil remake, Sonic remake.

Do I need to say more?

• Like 1

^

But to the extent they are now. :)

I really don't care. If the game was amazing and great the first time. I'm not gonna argue. I'll pick it up. There's no need to remake terrible games. In this case, a bunch of fan favorites have been remade. Well, because they're great games.

• Like 2

Releasing a remaster would make sense considering next November is the 10 year anniversary of Gears of War 1. 

Next November is not the 10 year Anniversary just saying its the 9 year Anniversary as GoW released November 7th 2006 not 2005 :P.

Also another remaster? they might as well have the next Console be a remaster of the Xbox 360 or something with all the remasters now. yes its cool they're doing this but you forget that the entire reason we get so many remasters for X1 is the fact it isn't backwards compatible unlike the Xbox 360 which is why there weren't as many remasters on X360. But hey at least this is a full on remake and not the boring 60fps and 1080p upgrade that we saw quite a few "remasters" get.

• Like 1

^

There are going to be bad games sometimes... :)

And no a remaster for GOW would not be better, GOW4 would be better!

Not necessarily. Gears of War was a great game. Why make something they know might fail or might do better, when you can remake something that was the best? Just makes sense. Plus, Gears of War is underrated. With the limited games on Xbox One, hopefully this gets a lot of attention. Which it definitely should. 

You tell me Caboose, would a remake of Destiny be better? Or should they just make Destiny 2? 

I love Gears 1 and I love that Microsoft is bringing back great games for the current gen but how many are they going to make? Let's get some new things going? And don't just give us this, give us the Gears pack with Judgement! I still admire 343 and Microsoft for the idea of 4 great games on a disc and I think that other games should follow this model when it comes to remastering games for current gen. Safe to say I will be getting this regardless though.

And no a remaster for GOW would not be better, GOW4 would be better!

It was stated at the top that Black Tusk, who is making New installments to the Gears of War Franchise, is just helping and not taking this fully under their wing. So, development of a new Gears of War is happening anyway with not much impeding it's progress.

Please don't be like Judgment, Please don't be like Judgment, Please don't be like Judgment.

Edited by rrhuntington
  • Like 1

Next November is not the 10 year Anniversary just saying its the 9 year Anniversary as GoW released November 7th 2006 not 2005 :P.

Next November, November 2016, IS the 10 year anniversary. This isn't a mistake on my part, I did SAY next November, 'next November' isn't indicative of November 2015, it's the NEXT November.

• Like 2

Well Fishy what is a remake exactly? :)

Its not really remaking the game from the ground up again is it? Slap on a better framerate 1080p visuals and maybe one or two news things ( in the case of Gta v, first person ) and you are good to go.

I would much prefer Destiny 2, why? Because for starters its not limited by the 360 and Ps3, Bungie can run wild.