Borderlands Developer Closing Down

Some really sad news coming out tonight as 2K Australia, a Borderlands and Bioshock developer, is being shut down.

While I know some may disagree, I found Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel to be a very good game, especially for a studio that had never done a Borderlands title, and I was excited to see where 2K Australia went from there, however, it seems their creative light has been snuffed out. IGN.com reports that a shutdown will be underway and that the last AAA studio from Australia will be closing it's doors at an unreleased date. 2K said in an official statement, "We can confirm we have taken steps to begin the studio closure process for 2K Australia in order to better manage ongoing development costs while improving the working proximity of our creative teams.  We are very grateful for the team’s valuable contributions to numerous 2K projects, and are working with affected staff to explore reassignment opportunities where possible." More news will be available at a later date about when exactly the studio will be going and how.

post-26953-0-44268100-1429161681.jpg

2K seems to be going through a bad patch financing games they can't afford, the scale of games like Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 seemed to have sealed the fate of Irrational Games and 2K Australia as they need to compensate to make their rates. While it's sad to see 2K Australia go so early, they'll always be remembered for their work on Bioshock and Borderlands.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 2

Nuuuu... Not 2K Australia! T^T

This is rather sad that they're closing down, The Presequal had a really great story to it, the only thing that let it down was after you completed it, there was just nothing to do except for farming the same boss over and over again and most of the legendaries were just copies from BL2.

Hopefully all the employees are relocated somewhere else where they can make an impact.

Meh.

Don't care for their games.

I do.

DIFFERENT OPINIONS HOORAY!!!!

In all seriousness I never really played their games but I enjoyed what new insights they tried with TPS. It sad to see people lose their jobs and I wish the best of luck for them and their families as they find new ones. 

So does this mean normal 2k games will be taking over Borderlands now? I'm confused by this.

Sad to see them go. :/

No, Borderlands is Gearbox. 2K Aus was on of the developers. However, they're still most likely going to be a Borderlands 3. They just need people to help out. Which I don't think they got much, which is why 2K Aus is gone.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/pax-south-2015-gearbox-on-borderlands-3-were-ready-to-start

• Like 2

I think the point of this whole 2k doing the Pre-Sequel was more of a last chance ditch effort to stave off filing Bankruptcy and shutting down. Historically the developer has never had much financial success with any of it's work. While they did have some talented members, they are obviously not of a great enough quality.

I'm not intentionally bashing the company, just simply putting some logical light on the subject. I'm quite sure the top 5% of 2K will find themselves employed somewhere else within Gearbox to help on the continuing Borderlands franchise.