What I didn't like from the Halo 5 Beta w/o even playing it yet.

WaltWhitman

Hey guys; I've been a competitive Halo 3 die hard fan ever since I was a jit and now I'm 20. I haven't played halo since Reach. The game was okay, I stopped playing when I became a general or something. I lost the eagerness of trying to rank up because it didn't matter wether or won or lost I still rose in EXP. I saw halo 4 over some gameplay and thought it looked horrible. A lot of the aspects of the multiplayer didn't make sense to me from the variety of weapons on the map and random weapon drops to how the maps were constructed. But that's my personal opinion and a lot of people I know agreed with me as well as some people I read reviews over online. The online multiplayer was almost entirely unbalanced and just watching the gameplay hurted my eyes. Halo 4 isn't Halo, it's a completely different game. More or less a bad reboot of a Halo title. What keeps real Halo players playing after finishing the campaign is the multiplayer, everyone knows this. If the multiplayer is phenomanol for example: Halo 3 and Halo 2 then you'll gain a tremendous loyal customer fan base playing for years on end, waiting for the next sequel of the game to be mentioned. I sometimes have the urge to play Halo 3 but I'm busy studying most of the time for my next exam. I truly for the love of God don't want to see another grand disappointment from Industry 343 again in another Halo game; So here I am trying to make an attempt to reach out to the developers of Halo 5 in maybe making a difference in how the developers might change a few things. And I'm a point out some suggestions for you guys

First off :

1. I don't need a 'guy' shouting in my ear piece about kill streaks and wether or not I get a double kill or a triple kill. Take the kill streak guy talking down a notch, it'll quickly get annoying for me and as well as other players. On top of that the 'Guy' doesn't have to narrate about the gameplay, "4 against 1", "3 against 1", like shut up lol I wish there was an option to shut him up. And the 'Guy' doesn't have to narrate of which game mode I'm about to play, I'm pretty sure I know what game mode I'm about to play when I choose from the option menu in multiplayer. Another thing too the 'Guy' mentions when and where the power weapons respawn again for Ex: Sniper, Sword, Rocket Launcher. I remember back in my day we had to memorize how long it took the power weapons to respawn. From my perspective the 'Guy' talking sucks the seriousness out of the game and brings the difficulty level down a lot. He talks a lot during gameplay it feels like he's always saying something It doesn't feel like I'm playing halo, you guys are trying too hard to make the game "cool", yeah it'll probably appeal to younger gamers but for older gamers that have played the previous games from Bungie, we don't like that. Haha. Make it an option wether or not we want more voice interaction from the game.

2. Did I see a deathcam in the beta? That has to go. This is not COD. This will ruin an old strategy everyone knows called "camping". Trust me, when I got a good camping spot with my sniper I don't want any enemy player knowing where I am.

3. The animations are cool and all but can they be a little quicker or can you just vanquish them all. I remember when I was playing Reach in a competitive game it'd take a whole millennium assassinating someone. When in Halo 3 it just took a little tap in the back to kill someone, and that kept the competitive flow of my game undisrupted and didn't leave me exposed to another enemy player since I can't do anything during the animation.

4. The game looks too easy with the jet-packs. You don't have to break a sweat trying to jump on a ledge, the jet packs do all the work for you. I remember in halo 3 that you'd have to find ways to get to those sweet secret spots and it took a skill to jump onto far away platforms not everyone could accomplish so easily. You built up that skill and make it into one of your tricks and that inhanced your competitive edge against other players who don't know the move. To be honest, that factor was one of the best things about playing halo 3 online. Maneuverability looks far too easy and can make the game sort of boring. Make the jet pack an option in one of the game modes. Like lets say Hardcore mode or Classic mode.

5. I didn't play the game my self so I can't say much else. I saw one other thing too; the stomping ability when you're in mid air and you can kill your foes underneath you is obviously taken from COD advance warfare. That has to be taken out or put as an option for a multiplayer match. You can easily just fly around stomping everyone you see in sight and them not knowing you're there.

________And that's it guys thanks for investing your time to read this I know it's kinda long but I had to say what was on my mind and I would like to see a difference in the new installment of the game. I care and I know a lot of my suggestions where opinionated remarks so don't critise me for speaking out I apprecaite it. I just signed up but I'm sure there's a lot of Bungie forum individuals here. The new Halo community shows promise trust me. You're company has great potential, hear us out and maybe we can make a great game together soon.

• Like 2

So, evolution in a game is a bad thing? You'd rather have the same thing released every year?

Sorry to take your opinion without any weight, but I've skimmed through so many "Why isn't this halo like halo 2?" threads that I've grown to actually hate Halo 2. Sure, animations take time, but there are plenty of options that are unlock-able in Halo 4 (x360) to where this isn't a problem (on xbone, it's unlocked from the start) .

Honestly, for someone who has loved Halo since it was released on PC, we've had nothing to do but accommodate for change. You'll have to be more specific.

• Like 3

A game has to change in order to be flexible with it's 'gamers'. For your complaint about the 'Guy' revealing power weapon locations and meta game info, just change what match you specifically want (Trash Talk, Quiet, etc.), which probably wasn't in the beta, but however it's just a beta so it's definitely subject to change. For matches that seem too easy, play gametypes that don't use custom loadouts, otherwise just deal with the 'annoying little punks'. In regard to assassinations, to do an assassination is to hold B, but if it isn't then it should be in the final copy because it was in Reach and Halo 4. Remember, man, this is the 2nd beta of the game. Both are just sample tests of the full game. So far, the best we, as fans, can do at this point is to wait and see. I promise 343 is really trying to serve the game in a way everyone can enjoy, have fun, and even compete healthfully. I know I may not have answered all your points, but please remain calm, if you weren't already. Also note this is a community forum with "little to no affiliation" whatsoever with the game production company.  If you would like, in case you haven't already, at least try to communicate with 343 directly, go to https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us

Thanks and please understand we care for the game as much as you do.

Edited by AhhOldWoman

Hey guys; I've been a competitive Halo 3 die hard fan ever since I was a jit and now I'm 20. I haven't played halo since Reach. The game was okay, I stopped playing when I became a general or something. I lost the eagerness of trying to rank up because it didn't matter wether or won or lost I still rose in EXP. I saw halo 4 over some gameplay and thought it looked horrible. A lot of the aspects of the multiplayer didn't make sense to me from the variety of weapons on the map and random weapon drops to how the maps were constructed. But that's my personal opinion and a lot of people I know agreed with me as well as some people I read reviews over online. The online multiplayer was almost entirely unbalanced and just watching the gameplay hurted my eyes. Halo 4 isn't Halo, it's a completely different game. More or less a bad reboot of a Halo title. What keeps real Halo players playing after finishing the campaign is the multiplayer, everyone knows this. If the multiplayer is phenomanol for example: Halo 3 and Halo 2 then you'll gain a tremendous loyal customer fan base playing for years on end, waiting for the next sequel of the game to be mentioned. I sometimes have the urge to play Halo 3 but I'm busy studying most of the time for my next exam. I truly for the love of God don't want to see another grand disappointment from Industry 343 again in another Halo game; So here I am trying to make an attempt to reach out to the developers of Halo 5 in maybe making a difference in how the developers might change a few things. And I'm a point out some suggestions for you guys

First off :

1. I don't need a 'guy' shouting in my ear piece about kill streaks and wether or not I get a double kill or a triple kill. Take the kill streak guy talking down a notch, it'll quickly get annoying for me and as well as other players. On top of that the 'Guy' doesn't have to narrate about the gameplay, "4 against 1", "3 against 1", like shut up lol I wish there was an option to shut him up. And the 'Guy' doesn't have to narrate of which game mode I'm about to play, I'm pretty sure I know what game mode I'm about to play when I choose from the option menu in multiplayer. Another thing too the 'Guy' mentions when and where the power weapons respawn again for Ex: Sniper, Sword, Rocket Launcher. I remember back in my day we had to memorize how long it took the power weapons to respawn. From my perspective the 'Guy' talking sucks the seriousness out of the game and brings the difficulty level down a lot. He talks a lot during gameplay it feels like he's always saying something It doesn't feel like I'm playing halo, you guys are trying too hard to make the game "cool", yeah it'll probably appeal to younger gamers but for older gamers that have played the previous games from Bungie, we don't like that. Haha. Make it an option wether or not we want more voice interaction from the game.

2. Did I see a deathcam in the beta? That has to go. This is not COD. This will ruin an old strategy everyone knows called "camping". Trust me, when I got a good camping spot with my sniper I don't want any enemy player knowing where I am.

3. The animations are cool and all but can they be a little quicker or can you just vanquish them all. I remember when I was playing Reach in a competitive game it'd take a whole millennium assassinating someone. When in Halo 3 it just took a little tap in the back to kill someone, and that kept the competitive flow of my game undisrupted and didn't leave me exposed to another enemy player since I can't do anything during the animation.

4. The game looks too easy with the jet-packs. You don't have to break a sweat trying to jump on a ledge, the jet packs do all the work for you. I remember in halo 3 that you'd have to find ways to get to those sweet secret spots and it took a skill to jump onto far away platforms not everyone could accomplish so easily. You built up that skill and make it into one of your tricks and that inhanced your competitive edge against other players who don't know the move. To be honest, that factor was one of the best things about playing halo 3 online. Maneuverability looks far too easy and can make the game sort of boring. Make the jet pack an option in one of the game modes. Like lets say Hardcore mode or Classic mode.

5. I didn't play the game my self so I can't say much else. I saw one other thing too; the stomping ability when you're in mid air and you can kill your foes underneath you is obviously taken from COD advance warfare. That has to be taken out or put as an option for a multiplayer match. You can easily just fly around stomping everyone you see in sight and them not knowing you're there.

________And that's it guys thanks for investing your time to read this I know it's kinda long but I had to say what was on my mind and I would like to see a difference in the new installment of the game. I care and I know a lot of my suggestions where opinionated remarks so don't critise me for speaking out I apprecaite it. I just signed up but I'm sure there's a lot of Bungie forum individuals here. The new Halo community shows promise trust me. You're company has great potential, hear us out and maybe we can make a great game together soon.

First off: Welcome to the forums! We are a fan-made, fan-run, and fan-hosted forum. If you want 343i to have a better chance of seeing your thoughts, I suggest you head over to the official site (Halowaypoint.com) and post there. Also, you may want to take a look at this article ( https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/how-fans-helped-shape-the-multiplayer-of-halo-5-guardians) which addresses concerns by the community and changes made since the Beta to Halo 5, along with options for players for the actual game.

I did play the beta, and as a player from back when Halo 3 launched, I have seen the game change in ways I was not happy with. In fact, I was fairly angry when I first saw Halo 5 Guardians footage. I was not looking forward to the beta as much as I would have hoped. But I played the beta, and I realized that the game played a lot like Halo 3. I don't mean to say it plays exactly like Halo 3, but the Beta felt similar to playing Halo 3 more than any of the other Halo games. I felt that clashes lasted similar times, being with teammates was equally important, moving around the map in certain ways, map flow and control points, etc. Halo 3 is my favorite Halo game, for many reasons, including matchmaking and the competitive scene. The Halo 5 Guardians Beta felt like old school Halo 3. It is a different game, and is different, but it felt like I was playing Halo 3 again. 

1. The Announcer has been addressed (see the above article for more specifics). In Halo 4, and in Halo Reach, there was the load-in screen, when you were choosing loadouts. Announcing which gametype is standard, although yes, the cutscenes were a little too much. These were also addressed in the article. The announcer has always been more and more vocal over the course of the Halo games. I really didn't have a huge problems with him while playing the beta, but more of the Spartan chatter (which is an option, see the article). I found the weapon drops helpful, but they are not as necessary. I think they would be best just announcing (if at all) about ten second before the weapons drop. I think the vsual during the last five seconds was more than enough.

2. Post-death replay will be an opt-in feature (see article), if it is allowed in the gametype or playlist. All competitive playlists, and eventually most in Halo 4 removed the "kill-cam."

3. In both Halo 4 and Halo Reach, if you just tap the melee button from behind, you do the standard Halo 3 instant kill. It is the same way in Halo 5. I agree though, the times for the epic animations do take a good deal of time.  I rarely used the Ground pound ability in Halo 5, unless I had to come in strong. It's something that is a new skill. You have to know how and when to do it, and when not to. It really didn't affect the balance as much as I thought it would.

4. I disagree with this. The "jetpacks" and crawling are needed in Halo 5. You see, this is the new skill jump. If you don't, you can't make the jump. This thing is, these abilities do offer a new set of skill jumps. If you learn not to use them, and learn secret jumps, your movement becomes much like the skill jumps of old. A lot of players depend on the booster to make jumps because they don't time it right. Therefore, they don't have it when they reach the other side and get in a fight right away. But if you know how to make the jump properly, you will have your abilities, and have an edge on your opponents. What I found is if you knew how to jump and use the tactical movement properly, it was equivalent to knowing the skill jumps in Halo 3. The main purpose of the thruster pack I found was a strafing tool. If used properly, it was like crouching while strafing, or moving back and forth. It was a new dynamic to the game, that mainly was used for strafing in the community. The people who used it primarily for movement put themselves at a disadvantage, which was taken advantage of my more experienced and smarter players.

5. I agree to a point with this. The spartan pound isn't needed. However, this being said, it isn't as powerful as it looks. It takes too long to use, as you are a sitting duck to any player who sees you use it. If they have a good angle, you don't have shields by the time you hit the ground. If you use the pound, you need to have both the proper angle and time to pull it off. Most times people were well out of the way when you finally came crashing down. It is very loud, if you are listening, you know to clear out before someone comes down. It also barely does any damage if you miss. If is only a kill if you hit someone head on. If you get a glancing blow, it may send them down to half shields. By the time you pop back into your normal mode, they typically have a beat down in on you first, which means you have one chance to beat them. It's hard to use properly and effectively. I found most of the time it was better just to run in normally, get a beat down or two in, and stick to the edges of the combat. If not, then it was to flank around the other team and get them from behind or the side.

I completely understand your concerns. I had many of the same feelings before I played the beta. Once I played it, and put some time into the beta, I felt this is a good future for Halo. I actually believe this game is going to be much more like the older Halos than Halo 4 or other new shooters. Sadly, there probably won't be another public beta, but I suggest you try to attend a gaming convention where you can play Halo 5 this summer. I believe this is a game the community needs to get their hands on and play before making judgements. I think people will be more than happy once they sit down and play it. It looks weird and controversial, but hits home at what it means to be a Halo game.

• Like 8

Honestly I get so tired of people starting off with their posts to include "I'm a die hard fan""...as if the fact you "think" your so die hard or have been playing for "x" amounts years, entitles you to be taken more seriously than anyone else who has paid good money or spent time playing the franchise.  To that my response is GROW UP.

Moving on....a few corrections....

1. The announcer has always announced in-game actions since Halo 2.  The level of the announcer is nothing that seems to overly ear killing.  I will agree that the announcing of power weapons is silly.  Basic Halo 101 was learning and coordinating the power weapons for your team.  Announcing it's spawning just causes huge rushes and negates learning map flow. 

2.  The "kill-cam" or "post death" bits are non issues.  There was always a 3rd person aerial cam view during the re-spawn timer.  The fact that they added a specific kill cam feature allows the fallen player to see what exactly killed them rather than guessing where the enemy was and what weapon did them in.  If you don't like anything during the re-spawn time...I suggest you close your eyes?  Kill-Cams were around long before CoD btw.

3.  Assassinations are OPTIONAL!  If your really dumb enough to go for one in plain open sight and DON'T expect someone to take advantage of your lowered defense and response time..I suggest you stop playing or go for the simple behind kill melee.

4.  To what specific jumps are you talking about?  ANYONE could grenade jump or time the edge of the ledge jump and crouch.  The only jumps that required any amount of timing or skill was the collision bug known as "super jumps".  Besides which, I find that any player that needs to remove him/herself from action and hide in a secret spot to take out players, is how do you say it... a camper sissy *****.  Prove how good you are by going toe to toe.

5.  The stomping ability is not taken from CoD Advanced Warfare.  The first game to feature a Ground Pound method was Crysis.  If you really were a die hard fan of any games, you would know your mechanics history.  I will agree that clambering and ground pound are NOT Halo-esk features and should not be in the final cut.  One of the many things I miss from Halo was the use of ladders.  It gave a huge risk to players and made them think twice before obtaining a possible higher position of power.  Clambering kind of negates that as well as jet packs.

As for the community, it is and always will be a mess of confuzzled bs.  The community has no adhesion in it's desires for the franchise, nor does it get along very well within it's own sub-cultures.  Add on the fact that more than half the community doesn't even understand the mechanics of the Halo engine well enough, that almost everything people post is just flat out wrong or idiotic.

TL;DR

Honestly I get so tired of people starting off with their posts to include "I'm a die hard fan""...as if the fact you "think" your so die hard or have been playing for "x" amounts years, entitles you to be taken more seriously than anyone else who has paid good money or spent time playing the franchise.  To that my response is GROW UP.

I only replied to say that I agree with the highlighted.