Carbine or Battle Rifle?

depressant

Carbine or Battle Rifle  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you choose the Carbine or the Battle Rifle?

Which one do you prefer, Carbine or Battle Rifle?

Before you go on saying that the BR is OP, think about it. The Carbine has a faster rate of fire and I think more shots, considering the BR is a 3-round burst. I preferthe Carbine because you can use it against Brutes, Grunts, and everybody, though it's not that good against the Flood.

I find that the Carbine is most effective in certain Campaign situations. In a one on one fight, it can't beat out the BR fairly. The increased rate of fire is great and all, but it still doesn't beat out the BR on most occasions. Don't get me wrong, I love the Carbine, but as Azaxx said BR is more effective in Nearly every situation.

I will choose the Carbine though, cause I love it.

Edited by rrhuntington
  • Like 1

The BR is more accurate by a great deal, but the Carbine's got the rate of fire and ammo efficiency to make up for it.

There are certain targets against which you NEED that rate of fire, such as Brutes. Ever try knocking their helmets off with a BR? It's not very effective...and when you must fight shielded Flood it drastically outshines the BR in terms of shield break power.

That said the BR is more consistent with quick headshots so if you're up against snipers you want the BR. It also does more health damage so it's vastly superior against Drones.

Against Elites, Grunts, and non-sniper Jackals they seem to be about equally effective.

Overall, I use the Carbine a lot more.

Now, multiplayer's a different story entirely. For that purpose I'll take the BR, every time.

It's so sad to see all of you vote for the BR. Honestly.

But to be fair, I get it. 12 shots with a 3-round burst weapon seems like a fair trade. The carbine has about 17 shots (I'm fine getting corrected with this, I haven't bothered to keep track in the heat of battle) and remains accurate with any kind of hammering on the trigger.

As I've said, I've been able to outclass any BR user at any range with the Carbine, but maybe that's just me-- thinking the BR is OP, therefore unbalanced and worthless-- and dead-set on training with a weapon everyone will overlook.

So maybe my opinion's skewed; But I've managed to make the Carbine much more effective than the BR, and ergo, I see the Carbine as a better weapon than the BR, possibly simply because it's a niche weapon.

• Like 1

The Battle Rifle across all titles deals less damage than the Carbine.  While the BR yes, you get 3 projectiles that deal 5.333 damage each, the usual chances of all 3 shots connecting are slim.  The carbine deals a solid 10 per shot, but suffers from error more than any other precision weapon.

Whether or not a weapon is better than another, depends solely on the player using it, the map and who your opponent is.  ANY weapon can outclass another in the hands of skilled and proficient player.  But for the sake of the thread, I always preferred the BR in multiplayer, but the Carbine or DMR in Campaign.  Here's the breakdown for you...

Halo 2:

Battle rifle: 6

Range: 40 world units

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.35 sec recovery time

Carbine: 11

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.35 sec recovery time / soft refraction allows firing as fast as trigger pulls

Halo 3:

Battle Rifle: 6

Range: 60 world units

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.28 sec recovery time

Carbine: 10

Fire Rate: 0 rounds per second (fast as trigger pull) / 0.17 sec recovery time

Halo 4:

Battle Rifle: 5.333

Range: 250 world units

Fire Rate:  0 rounds per second / 0.3 sec recovery time

Fire Rate: same as Halo 3

To clear up confusion, the rounds per second don't actually mean anything.  It's all about "recovery time".  The time it takes to be able to shoot again after firing a set of shots.  Setting the values to "0" in any title yields no greater firing effect.  If anyone has any further questions about the weapons, let me know and I'll get you the info.

• Like 4

The Battle Rifle across all titles deals less damage than the Carbine.  While the BR yes, you get 3 projectiles that deal 5.333 damage each, the usual chances of all 3 shots connecting are slim.  The carbine deals a solid 10 per shot, but suffers from error more than any other precision weapon.

Whether or not a weapon is better than another, depends solely on the player using it, the map and who your opponent is.  ANY weapon can outclass another in the hands of skilled and proficient player.  But for the sake of the thread, I always preferred the BR in multiplayer, but the Carbine or DMR in Campaign.  Here's the breakdown for you...

Halo 2:

Battle rifle: 6

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.35 sec recovery time

Carbine: 11

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.35 sec recovery time / soft refraction allows firing as fast as trigger pulls

Halo 3:

Battle Rifle: 6

Fire Rate: 15 rounds per second / 0.28 sec recovery time

Fire Rate: 0 rounds per second (fast as trigger pull) / 0.17 sec recovery time

Halo 4:

Battle Rifle: 5.333

Fire Rate:  0 rounds per second / 0.3 sec recovery time

Fire Rate: same as Halo 3

To clear up confusion, the rounds per second don't actually mean anything.  It's all about "recovery time".  The time it takes to be able to shoot again after firing a set of shots.  Setting the values to "0" in any title yields no greater firing effect.  If anyone has any further questions about the weapons, let me know and I'll get you the info.

Halo 3 SMG vs Halo 3 Suppressed SMG would be nice I'm actually curious 

Well that is actually a very easy one.  As before when I mentioned "rounds per second", this tag definition number setting effects only weapons with a "continuous" spew setting, aka automatic weapons.  Enjoy Wally...

Halo 3 SMG:

RPS: 15

Damage: 5

Halo 3 ODST SMG Silenced:

RPS: 15

Damage:6

• Like 1

Thats some neat info Thanks Twin!

Although I am going to pick the Carbine not because of the performance but mainly for a single shot alien weapon it is just fantastic. Compared to the BR the Carbine adds great visual and audio feedback everytime you pull the trigger and seeing the green projectile whip across the screen. I find the weapon immensely stratifying to shoot because of this. The BR is dull with the constant burst(Still a great weapon though)

More-so since I enjoy my Firefight/Campaign activities over standard matchmaking I find the Carbine to be more effective in those scenarios since most enemies our going to have shields. While the BR is good for this too the Carbine is a league ahead since it being a Covie weapon firing radiated energy projectiles it is does significant more damage to shielded foes. Plus the weapon is just as easy to find ammo for since Covie scum will also be logging it around. 

• 1 year later...