Halo 5 Weapons Skins?

depressant

I know Halo 4 had some skins, but they were only accessible by completing the Specializations. So I thought for Halo 5 it would be pretty cool to have weapon skins which we could buy with xp/credits like past systems. It would be cool to customize your weapons to make them more personal and cooler. Just an idea though, and I hope to see your thoughts. :D

• Like 2

Eh; I feel like skins for guns are too "COD" for Halo; but it's really nice to actually personalize everything dowm to that matter of detail.

It's only a matter of time before guns are plated with gold and diamonds, which is absolutely disgusting (imo); so skins for guns should be kept at a reasonable level.

One question, how would your skins be applied if there is no loadout system? It's hard to understand how you would apply them when everybody starts with the same weapon, although perhaps you can set certain skins for certain modes. Idk, but I doubt we see it without a loadout system.

• Like 1

One question, how would your skins be applied if there is no loadout system? It's hard to understand how you would apply them when everybody starts with the same weapon, although perhaps you can set certain skins for certain modes. Idk, but I doubt we see it without a loadout system.

A weapon skin menu that lets you pick skins for all the weapons. If you start with the weapon at the beginning, or are the first one to pick it up, then it will have your skin for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

In a game like Halo where individual weapons fill very specific roles and operate very differently, I actually tend to dislike weapon skins from a competitive perspective, as knowing what weapon your opponent s holding is a vital part of decision-making. In something like the Call of Duty series, where kill times are extremely low and all weapons operate in a roughly similar manner, it's less so, as you can reasonably expect that exposing yourself to direct fire at any range is going to result in being killed, but in Halo knowing whether your opponent is holding a BR or an AR can make all the difference between life and death.

As an example: I'm holding a DMR, and an opponent comes around a corner 20m ahead of me. If he's holding an Assault Rifle, at this range I can probably kill him, and so the best decision I can make is to open fire: however if he's holding a Battle Rifle, then the odds swing in his favour, and so attacking head-on will probably get me killed. This is a decision that I need to make quickly, and so it's important that weapon designs are different enough that each one is visually unique enough that I'm going to recognise it instantly instead of needing to hesitate for half a second to work out what it is. This is a particular problem in Halo, as while power weapons all tend to look pretty distinct, the three human rifles all look pretty similar at more than a few metres, as their silhouettes from the front just aren't particularly diverse.

One of the ways that H5 seems to be dealing with this is the use of colours: the Assault Rifle has quite a lot of synthetic colours in it, the DMR is a fairly standard gunmetal, and the BR is very dark, which makes it a little easier to distinguish between them at range (at least, when the environment is reasonably well-lit). It's not a huge difference, but even during the beta I did notice that it helped my recognition skills a little. And this is where the issue with weapon skins comes in: while they undoubtedly do look cool, they make weapons look less individual and thus, less immediately distinguishable. This is fine for casual play, but particularly in high-level games, it's a problem.

That said, I'm sure that there'd be a few easy ways to compromise the inclusion of weapon skins: a toggleable 'force no skin' option in game settings switched on by default in competitive playlists would ensure that competitive modes aren't adversely affected, while still allowing skins to be used elsewhere. As for applying skins, I'm sure that could also be done without too much trouble: there could just be an option to choose skin sets, which are automatically applied to whatever the loadout weapons are.

• Like 2