Halo: The Master Chief Collection Update Beta CANCELLED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Update Beta CANCELLED

Halo.jpg

After announcing that the next update for Halo: The Masterchief Collection would first be beta tested, 343i now pulls the plug on this idea.

Some time ago 343i announced that the next update for Halo: The Masterchief Collection would get an update so huge that it would have to go through beta testing first to ensure it not breaking the entire game. An article on that can be read here.

Now 343i cancels this beta that would become available for Xbox One Preview members in North America somehwere in the near future because it would become too time consuming as it would need some more updates to be enabled. The company now decides that it would be best if they test it thoroughly themselves internally.

"After further evaluation, the team has determined that that final testing for the content update will be completed internally, and we will not be conducting a beta test for the next CU. Also, it was determined that the additional time and work devoted to the beta would’ve actually postponed the public availability of the content update. Lastly, there were some added challenges surrounding the CU beta – including an extra series of required updates and rollbacks - that made us take a step back and reexamine the CU beta. Ultimately, this plan will allow us to deliver the smoothest possible experience, and ensure that the next content update becomes available as soon as possible."

~Bravo

An final release date for most likely the biggest patch for the game yet had not yet been set as the team is also working hard on several updates that will be released even later.

"Progress on the CU continues, and we’ll work to provide an ETA once the final date is locked. As stated last week, our current focus and priority remains delivering the upcoming improvements to the matchmaking and party systems, but the team is also working on and prioritizing additional items beyond this, and I look forward to discussing these – a lot more – as we get closer to those updates."

~Bravo

In the previous report some of you guys seemed to be rather skeptical about beta testing an update. Does this remedy or worsen your concerns?

Let us know down below!

Thank you for reading!

Source:

HaloWaypoint

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

It's not that everyone in the world was looking forward to this, but I think that 343 has lost credibility in a lot of fans' eyes that have been on the fence about them since 4. Beta testing would leave it up to the players to find the bugs and now they've put it back in their hands. I don't care because I'll be playing the game normally either way but hopefully this means that they've started to find the problem even though they didn't say that at all. 

• Like 2

*waits for comment that says "lel, The game should have been cancelled!" with a :troll: for good measure.*

Thanks for the info Peanut. It is what it is at this point. The real talk won't start until this update is released and shows effect or not. So, time to wait so mo'.

• Like 1

I'm not a game developer but I would assume it takes a lot of work to get a public beta going.  Internal will probably save them money because this beta is only for an update.

It saves time and time=money so yes :hrhr:

I didn't really get why it would need beta testing at first anyway, the beta wouldn't really simulate anything more than numbers for a stress test. Everything else can be tested easily by themselves if they do it thoroughly.

That's like checking your boat for leaks with a garden hose. Then wondering why your boat sank when you put it in the lake.

Developers time and time again always admit that their community finds more bugs than they do. That's because the community is bigger than their developers teams. And it sounds like 343 is split in a bunch of different sections doing different things for later updates. There's no way their gonna find all the bugs. Not if they are not united. They need to focus on one thing at a time, rather than multiple things.

• Like 3

Let's be real honest here folks, their internal testing team has already proven what a poor job it does with Halo 4 and MCC from the beginning.  Following that notion, let's look at the internal team shall we?  According to various reports from 343i themselves, their internal testing team includes select members of the Halo community and the "OMFGIMSOPROZ" players.  I'm no scientist, but even I can see that is a poor, losing formula for an internal test team.

Second, let's look at what is going on with 343i.  Bungie never managed more projects than they could handle at one time.  Never once did they release 2 Halo games in 1 year.  MCC should not have been developed so close to Halo 5.  I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty, that the team that headed up MCC was a skeleton team, while the rest worked on the Halo 5 beta.  That would explain obvious bugs that we have encountered.  Bungie would never have been stupid enough to do this.  They learned their lesson from the Halo 2 debacle and never looked back.  Microsoft needs to quit being money hungry and give the 343i team a good solid lead with development of these games. 

• Like 6

Let's be real honest here folks, their internal testing team has already proven what a poor job it does with Halo 4 and MCC from the beginning.  Following that notion, let's look at the internal team shall we?  According to various reports from 343i themselves, their internal testing team includes select members of the Halo community and the "OMFGIMSOPROZ" players.  I'm no scientist, but even I can see that is a poor, losing formula for an internal test team.

Second, let's look at what is going on with 343i.  Bungie never managed more projects than they could handle at one time.  Never once did they release 2 Halo games in 1 year.  MCC should not have been developed so close to Halo 5.  I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty, that the team that headed up MCC was a skeleton team, while the rest worked on the Halo 5 beta.  That would explain obvious bugs that we have encountered.  Bungie would never have been stupid enough to do this.  They learned their lesson from the Halo 2 debacle and never looked back.  Microsoft needs to quit being money hungry and give the 343i team a good solid lead with development of these games. 

It actually surprised me that Halo 3: ODST and Halo Reach both ended up being properly made games, even though they had a splinter team and the main team working on those games respectively. I also have no idea why 343i persists with attempting so many things at once. I give them credit for having the ideas of wanting to make a better franchise, but they don't have any common sense when it comes to taking on tasks whatsoever.

However H5G does seem like their only true proper step towards common sense, with their rather early beta and their commitment to wanting to change the game to how the fans reacted. But that's really their only instance of where they have showed proper sense.

• Like 1

Although I had neutral feelings about the CU Beta, they should have released it to the public, seeing that there are way more of us than there are them. Unfortunately Microsoft will never give 343i a chance, seeing that all they think about is money. I don't think it will ever get back to the point of making good games for people to enjoy, at least not from any company under Microsoft.

Alright, let me stick my neck out here.

I respect this decision to not do the beta. Although the beta system would help 343i, it would hurt the game more. Anyone not in the beta would have even more trouble finding matches, and fair ones at that. There isn't going to be one massive update that fixes everything, but steady progress over time. Although having the community beta test would help, the same major problems will take the same amount of time to fix (matchmaking times, team pairings, custom lobbies, etc). The information the beta would provide would be minimal in comparison to how vocal the community has been, in addition to the millions of matches already played.

I believe 343 made the right choice here. They did botch MCC, but I am still looking forward to Halo 5 after the beta earlier this year. Obviously they need to fix MCC, but i think their priority should be to make sure Halo 5 does not have these issues on release.

• Like 1