Top Ten Worst Games of 2014!

VinWarrior

Hello everyone, if you remember I recently did my Top Ten Best Games of 2014 list highlighting the good this year had to offer. I’d like to point out that while this is the Top Ten Worst, not all games on here are absolutely abysmal. There weren’t many standout horrible games this year, more or less most were mediocre, not deserving of a best spot but also nowhere near the worst, so there had to be some cuts here and there. I will point out if a game in the first few on here may become decent through time or such, but anyway, let’s start!

Number 10!

Thief

post-26953-0-71036500-1422332522.jpg

While Thief is a graphically impressive title by many aspects, and does have solid gameplay and a nice atmosphere, its main story is a total bore and it fails on many levels that the recently released Dishonored, and even this year’s Assassin’s Creed Rogue, succeed amazingly in. Thief is in no means the worst game this year, let alone the worst game ever. It’s just sort of a sad title that could’ve been worked to its full potential so much more. I hope Thief takes a few hints from Dishonored and AC and fixes itself in a possible sequel.

Number 9!

The Crew

post-26953-0-87684100-1422332532.jpg

Ubisoft… WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR?! YOUR STUDIOS ARE LIKE POLAR OPPOSITES OF EACH OTHER! The Assassin’s Creed Rogue and Far Cry 4 teams both did excellent jobs creating a thrilling experience, and even the Watch_Dogs team did an impressive job, but then you have Assassin’s Creed Unity and The Crew hobble out into the market looking like an unfinished Frankenstein’s monster! The Crew is a disappointing game by many respects and that’s what earns it #9, despite the fact that it has a few redeeming features and is an okay racing game. But then again even its car mechanics feel floaty and dated, I feel like they got help from the guy who did Watch_Dogs’ driving. I was tempted to put Driveclub here because of its launch issues, but from what I’ve heard, the game is at least beautiful and fun to play. Not only that fact, but the abhorrent microtransactions in this game make it sickly to touch. Don’t play this yet, wait for a sale or a GOTY edition.

Number 8!

Escape Dead Island

post-26953-0-10549300-1422332552_thumb.jpg

The hell happened with this… Why does it even exist? It’s like someone took the tiny specks of fun out of the original Dead Island and made it boring and linear. I didn’t get a ton of time with this game, and you’ll be able to tell that from some games on this list as I have a buddy who buys this stuff and I sort of just try it out, but don’t play this game. If you’re a fan of the original game, you won’t like it, if you like emotional storytelling, pass, and if you are a fan of zombie games period, you can find better. Go play The Last of Us for a linear but emotionally gripping zombie game. It’s on PS4 for pretty cheap. Don’t play this.

Number 7!

Deus Ex: The Fall

post-26953-0-86166700-1422332562.jpg

Hey hey hey hey hey guys, remember the fantastic Human Revolution, which reinvigorated a lot of people’s love for Deus Ex? What if we took that game, made it a mobile with microtransactions, a boring story, and unintelligent AI that could probably give Ride to Hell a run for its money? YOU’D GET DEUS EX: THE FALL. The voice acting, horrible, gameplay, horrible, story, nonexistent, and the best part? It’s on PC now… That’s right, this abomination is on Steam, a PC game that will rip out your soul. Hopefully it’s better on PC, I only tried the mobile.

Number 6!

The Elder Scrolls Online

post-26953-0-60304900-1422332570.png

Oi, I can see the Elder Scrolls Fanboys already lining up to crotch kick me for flogging their favorite franchise, before you get the high heels on to desecrate my manhood, hear me out. This game actually isn’t terrible, it has content, mediocre for the most part but still content, a huge open world, and can be fun, especially the PvP. However, this game flops in two major areas. PvE, and a smooth launch, PvE feels like someone took a whip and began assaulting Skyrim until all passion and blood was removed, and made it feel like a cardboard cut-out of what PvE should be in an MMO. DESTINY, AN MMO LITE GOT IT RIGHT BETTER THAN YOU DID ESO. And this game launched in such a poor state no one could play properly. Its subscription fee made it worthless, and it would be higher had its PvP, beautiful score and environments, and removal of the Sub fee with the console launch not had existed. I do hope the console versions will bring this game to a better light, as it still has potential. Let this be a lesson, Zenimax and Bethesda, DON’T SCREW WITH A GOOD FRANCHISE.

Number 5!

Rambo: The Video Game

post-26953-0-95919200-1422332581.jpg

What the hell is this… What the hell is this… I’m serious, I cannot wrap my mind around it, you explain it to me. This game is a rails shooter with poor story, fluctuating gameplay difficulty, and graphics so poor it felt like someone poured sewer water over the original films. Do you need to know WHY this is bad? Watch NerdCubed’s Let’s Play, its hilarious and his kneejerk reaction will be about yours when you play it. Never again…

OH GOD THEY’RE DOING A TERMINATOR NOOOOO

Number 4!

Duck Dynasty

post-26953-0-65595900-1422332590.png

Redneck Simulator 2014, the game that doesn’t deserve to exist. I wanted to put this game so much higher and had I not seen these next 3, it would’ve been #1. That doesn’t make this game any better, its graphics are like playing a PS1 and removing the graphics chip entirely, it’s story is a poor spin-off of the show, and gameplay basically comes down to shooting the wildlife and blowing up crap. I will recommend you buy this game when it’s like $5 though because it’s hilarious to play sometimes. Watch AngryJoe’s Top Ten Worst, you’ll see what I mean.

Number 3!

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

post-26953-0-51188500-1422332598.jpg

Oooooooh boy, come at me blind MGS fans who gave $30 to this garbage cash-grab and feel the need to defend what little there is here. The glaring issue of Ground Zeroes is IT IS SO SHORT I COULD PROBABLY COOK A HOT POCKET AND IT’D TAKE MORE TIME. And a Hot Pocket has at least mediocre filling, this game’s ‘story’ is incomplete and some areas are flat out wrong. I cringed when hearing some audio logs, not because none of it made sense, but because they were humanly disturbing and wrong. I hope Konami feels ashamed for this game, maybe Phantom Pain will be more worthwhile and have more content in it, better content at that. Come on MGS, get into game.

Number 2!

The Sims 4

post-26953-0-04322700-1422332609.png

… Y’know EA… I could excuse Dungeon Keeper this year, because of the fact that I was never a big fan, yeah, it sucked, but I don’t care. No, I don’t. NOT AFTER THIS. YOU WRECKED A GREAT FRANCHISE BY TAKING IT AND SLAMMING IT INTO THE GROUND AND BURYING IT WITH THE HARDEST CEMENT ON EARTH. I was so close to putting this at #1… So close… But no, you’re lucky EA, one game took you down. That doesn’t excuse this DLC bait mess that takes everything I loved from the Sims 3 and stripping it to its breeches. Maybe when the Sims 4: All-The-DLC Edition comes out, this may be a bit better, but I don’t care anymore. I have no hope for the Sims 5, or whatever comes from Maxis next. You screwed with Spore EA, and for that I hate you, you screwed with this, that’s strike two EA, and you screw up Battlefront, Mass Effect, or Mirror’s Edge, that’s strike 3. Do not believe I won’t boycott your titles from now on. I did it for Assassin’s Creed when they started pumping them out, I’ll do it for you too.

Number 1!

Air Control

post-26953-0-83005100-1422332614_thumb.jpg

The Sims 4 was almost the worst thing I played this year… But one little game that was on Steam… Yes, this was on Steam, managed to do it. Air Control. This is a game which spells everything grammatically wrong, uses outside assets without crediting them and in the laziest way, and worst of all cannot even run properly most of the time. My god, this is a travesty. You know if you beat out Rambo, you’re bad, this is ultra-bad. I will leave a link to some gameplay below this, don’t ever go try to buy this. It’s not worth ANYTHING and deserves to shrivel and die a slow death. 

Alright, that's 2014, do let me know down below what you agree/disagree with, what you would've added or removed, and general feedback. Something on this list that you like and I don't, that's good, at least someone got enjoyment out of it! Thanks for reading guys.

• Like 7

Rambothevideogamegoty2014! :troll:

Pretty interesting list Kenway.

I feel I must defend Eso though......

The combat in Eso is some of the best mmo combat I have seen in a long time. Play Wow if you want to see what standard mmo combat is. Boring and all about ability cool downs, a hack n slash.

Eso changed that, the combat has life and movement. It keep you engaged instead of spamming a few buttons/keys over and over. It more about timing and strategy than mashing, and that's a good thing.

You said "PvE feels like someone took a whip and began assaulting Skyrim until all passion and blood was removed"

What the chuff were you expecting? its an Mmo. The quests in Eso are at least somewhat interesting some of the time.

They interested me more than Dragon age inquisitions quests did.

And that shameful.....

Eso did have a crap launch but the game is slowly being improved.

Examples: The combat animations and the Justice system.

It is an Elder scrolls game just.... gimped. And to be honest that's alright by me. Gimped Elder scrolls with friends. :)

And Destiny is an mmo.... sorta it has elements of an mmo but lacks the massive part of it.

You can only have three players per area..... that's not very big. No wonder the combat feels better.

EDIT

Besides was unmodded Skyrim combat good? of course not it was still go to an enemy and hack n slash n block until he goes down.

Edited by Caboose The Ace

Besides was unmodded Skyrim combat good? of course not it was still go to an enemy and hack n slash n block until he goes down.

Well, if you used magic in 3rd person with no crosshair, it was never boring, and somewhat challenging. ^_^

• Like 1

MCC should have been on this list.  Obvious biased is involved since it wasn't listed given it's massive amount of issues that STIL remain.  Metal Gear and Elder Scrolls don't deserve to be on the list.  Metal Gear, as you stated, Zero's was too short.  Realize that Zero was meant as a side story filler until Phantom Pain releases.  it was never meant as a full fledged MG entry.  In terms of story and content, it is on equal footing with Spartan Assault.  Funny how no mention of those Top Down abortion Halo games were mentioned.  Just the fact that you got an awesome Figuring and the packaging of the MGZ game...made it worth while for the small price tag.

Halo CEA is kind of the same.  Why pay for a game I played 10 years ago with mediocre graphics running on top of the old ones?  Graphics don't make it more fun.

Which brings me to Elder Scrolls.  Elder Scrolls is a long lasting fun franchise that delivered on combat.  The graphics are not bad either given the good amount of LOD included in the complete open world environment.  Watchdogs should have been on the list before MG or ES any day of the week.

• Like 1

But you see Twin, the original Halo is on the old Xbox, which not only is annoying to have to get out and set up, but the old game also look like crap.

CEA may not look much better, but I'd rather look at CEA then Halo CE or even Halo 2. And in terms of fun, they're no different, so it just goes back to my first point about graphics.

Spartan Assault came out in 2013, so it can't be on this list.

If MCC should be up there, then AC Unity should be above it. Broken game and broken DLC.

Whew, good thing I didn't buy Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. I was so tempted at the time. Glad I convinced myself not to get it. :)

Was really feeling edgy when I started opening the spoilers, was hoping my favorite game for the console (Up to this date) was not on there. Was actually satisfied that it wasn't. The Metro Redux 2033 and Metro Redux Last Light were actually really good games. Any idea where they would be placed? :P

I'm not sure what your point or statement was about graphics Ash, but graphics, do not a fun game make. I wasnt sure what that other top down Halo piece of crap was, so I just used SA to fill it in.

Still, I havent seen one solid argument to my stance on the list. I never played anything Assassin's Creed, so I cannot say if that game should have been on the list.

• Like 2

But you see Twin, the original Halo is on the old Xbox, which not only is annoying to have to get out and set up, but the old game also look like crap.

CEA may not look much better, but I'd rather look at CEA then Halo CE or even Halo 2. And in terms of fun, they're no different, so it just goes back to my first point about graphics.

Spartan Assault came out in 2013, so it can't be on this list.

If MCC should be up there, then AC Unity should be above it. Broken game and broken DLC.

Graphics don't matter. They really don't. A good game is not determined by graphics, just picky players.

You can't sit there and tell me the original Mario 8-Bit game was terrible because of the graphics and that you would rather play the New Super Mario Bros games because of the graphics.

The best gaming consoles but terrible graphics UtD? N64, GameCube, SNES, Xbox (Original), PS1, PS2, and Atari (All Systems)

I'm sorry Ash, but your statement is just... Yeah. You can't really argue that a good game requires good graphics. It just doesn't make any sense.

I am not sure that is what she is arguing. I am thinking that she is just showing a preference towards Halo CEA because it plays the same, with the same storyline and everything (basically equal in every respect) only now with updated graphics.

One could decide that if there were reproductions of a game, lets say Assassin's Creed (the original) that performed the same in every manor except with updated graphics, one could quite possibly decide they prefer the updated graphical version.

Does that make sense with you?

• Like 1

ESO is a rather good game to be honest, launch wasn't that stable, but it was just playable (most mmo's have a rather rocky launch.) The game does not look or play like skyrim (thank god) and rather plays like one of the older Elder scrolls game. Tons of content has been added, almost everything has been revamped and combat will be adjusted in patch 6.1 (which has no flaws besides some abillities needed to be balanced). which will be launhcing next week. 

An incredibly large world, every single quest has a story (tutorial alone has more story than Destiny.) The world itself is alive and quests have impact on the world (Save a village, they might help you out later.)

The PVP is incredible and puts you against a few hundred other players in full on war and the PVE is responsive and works just as well, class building is really well done, since you class does only pre-eterminse 3 skill lines.

I would have put Destiny on there, that game is broken by the developers choice.

• Like 1

I am sad with all the hate on Destiny. Sure it isn't the greatest game out there, I wouldn't be the first to admit that. However it isn't that bad of a game either. It has quite a bit of content (compared to other FPS games) and can be quite enjoyable (to me at least). It isn't game of the year material but definitely doesn't deserve to be on a worst games list. Perhaps disappointing but not worst.

• Like 2

I am sad with all the hate on Destiny. Sure it isn't the greatest game out there, I wouldn't be the first to admit that. However it isn't that bad of a game either. It has quite a bit of content (compared to other FPS games) and can be quite enjoyable (to me at least). It isn't game of the year material but definitely doesn't deserve to be on a worst games list. Perhaps disappointing but not worst.

I get where you're coming from, but the problem with Destiny lies with some rather faulty design choices and Bungie making certain parts of the DLC only available on ps4 and ps3, getting people to buy a dlc for 20 bucks which has some content only available on another platfform, is a bit of a blamage in my opinion.

Edited by Coldfreeze

@Coldfreeze (I am using a crappy browser by force so I cant quote)

Oh I know there are issues with Destiny. There is plenty I wish they could have changed as far as the DLC and what have you. I am still impressed however that they have a working game for 4 separate systems at launch which has a good amount of content to it to begin with.

The exclusive stuff I am cool with, with the exception of the length of time they are exclusive. Personally I think that if Sony wanted exclusives and paid for them then either they shouldn't ever be released to the XBOX or make it a 6 month exclusive. The first choice is simply because there is no hope of those items (which really aren't that big a deal) being given out, the second because it is a good enough period of time to enjoy them exclusively while still not making people wait forever. Though I do think that the exclusive strikes are a huge issue. Those shouldn't ever be exclusive.

Anywho it is just a small segment of my thoughts on Destiny. I still don't think it would warrant a "worst game of 2014" award. Doesn't mean it is an outstanding game either. Just an enjoyable one.

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't think that this would explode in controversy like this, so let me explain why 'X game' is or isn't on the list, based upon what you're saying.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection isn't on the list because it is a remaster, I know that may sound odd, but it's the same reason I didn't put The Last of Us: Remastered, or Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on my best list. It's simply that the original games STILL EXIST and ergo, I cannot judge a game based upon it's remaster, it isn't fair to the game.

Assassin's Creed Unity, while being disappointing, was a fun adventure that I overall enjoyed. You must remember that this is my subjective opinion, and in my opinion, AC Unity wasn't a terrible game. It wasn't worth $60, but it wasn't as bad as ANYTHING on this list. 

The reason The Elder Scrolls Online is on the list despite the fact I think you should still pick up the console version when it comes around is because of the game's horrible launch issues, subscription fee, and weak PvE. To say that I should 'expect' PvE to be bad DOESN'T EXCUSE IT. If you say I should expect to get lashed about 7 times with a sharp spear, that doesn't make LASHING ME WITH A SHARP SPEAR OKAY.

And the same thing for Metal Gear, poor storytelling, expensive for it's content, and too little to do. I don't care if they say it's going to be a short prequel, that doesn't make it worth $30 at launch, and it was almost $40. One of the most incredible games of all time, FTL: Faster Than Light, is half the price of this and has MORE CONTENT and a better story.

Also blah blah blah blah Destiny blah blah blah I enjoy it a bit more now.

• Like 3

I get where you're coming from, but the problem with Destiny lies with some rather faulty design choices and Bungie making certain parts of the DLC only available on ps4 and ps3, getting people to buy a dlc for 20 bucks which has some content only available on another platfform, is a bit of a blamage in my opinion.

In all honesty, this is literally how PSN users feel about us. You do know that all of the CoD games go to Xbox Exclusive first, correct? 

Sure, the game may be terrible and irrelevant. But a lot of people still do play it. The fact that we get it first is what sets them off the same way. They think it's unfair and stupid. You're just going to have to deal with it.

Besides, Xbox has the better games. If we don't like Destiny, we can just pop another good game in the tray. Where PlayStation doesn't have that option.

The reason The Elder Scrolls Online is on the list despite the fact I think you should still pick up the console version when it comes around is because of the game's horrible launch issues, subscription fee, and weak PvE. To say that I should 'expect' PvE to be bad DOESN'T EXCUSE IT. If you say I should expect to get lashed about 7 times with a sharp spear, that doesn't make LASHING ME WITH A SHARP SPEAR OKAY.

You should in no way get an mmo for a console, subs are going a way, I did not say should expect bad PVE, PVE in the game is really good for an mmo and since it's releas the game has been improved a lot.

^
^

^

The Sub fee is gone.....

Horrible launch issues is a thing for almost if not every single mmo ever to exist.

And the Pve is very very good.

The quests are interesting, the world feels semi alive. Most mmo worlds feel dead. Eso feels alive ish..... and it feels like the player exists there.

To walk into a town and to have guards thanking you for saving them in an earlier quest really draws you in. :)