Halo 5: Guardians. Arena Multiplayer Beta Discussion

Buns

Rocket, I actually wasn't fond of Halo 4's lighting of Spartans at all, they were super super bright, it just looked silly.

I'm quite impressed with the Beta, it's very fun. Arena play is fun and all but what I really care about are vehicles! I hope they change up the Warthog from Halo 4 a bit, it felt weak contrary to earlier games. The Wraith Mortar: DON'T HAVE IT LIKE HALO 4. Looked so weak and lame. I miss the giant blue blob of death.

Ranking system: I never paid much attention to it in any games, anyway. It seems to be based off winning, which people liked when it was such in Halo 2 & 3, so whatevs.

Anyone want to play it with me? I'll add you and stuff. I'm pretty good at it. NEED TEAMMATES...MORE FUN THAT WAY...

Rocket, I actually wasn't fond of Halo 4's lighting of Spartans at all, they were super super bright, it just looked silly.

I'm quite impressed with the Beta, it's very fun. Arena play is fun and all but what I really care about are vehicles! I hope they change up the Warthog from Halo 4 a bit, it felt weak contrary to earlier games. The Wraith Mortar: DON'T HAVE IT LIKE HALO 4. Looked so weak and lame. I miss the giant blue blob of death.

Ranking system: I never paid much attention to it in any games, anyway. It seems to be based off winning, which people liked when it was such in Halo 2 & 3, so whatevs.

Anyone want to play it with me? I'll add you and stuff. I'm pretty good at it. NEED TEAMMATES...MORE FUN THAT WAY...

Feel free to send me a friend request, I'll play with ya if we happen to be online at the same time :)

Yeah, Halo 4's spartans looked too bright. They actually fixed that for Halo 5 though. Back to Red Team and Blue Team instead of Pink Team and Sky Blue Team.

As for the Wraith mortar in Halo 4, it's quite misleading. It looks weak and lame, kinda hollow if that makes any sense, but its damage is the most it's ever been!

Let me just run down my thoughts in a none formal format.

Assassinations are back, but I feel as though they definitely need to refine them. They look choppy, and they look too similar to Halo 4's, but I believe this will be more fleshed out by the time the game is shipped. Also, I got me that sword assassination smile.png

Spartan Charging is pretty damn satisfying, just making someone fly in the air even if you don't get the kill. Same thing with the ground pound. Charging has more of a use than the ground pound though, and both need to be used with caution and precision lest you be destroyed. The Thruster Pack is also MUCH better than it's predecessor. It is unbelievably useful for escaping a bad situation, getting to cover, or just getting that extra umph to reach a platform.

The ADS, not ADS, Aiming, whatever, is alright. I don't mind it. It made the AR a lot more useful for far away engagements which isn't as bad as I first thought. I can't aim the BR well, but that's even when I'm not aiming down the sites.

Breakout is a gametype I've wanted to see in Halo for a while now, a gamemode that is pretty much Warzone from Gears of War except with 4v4 instead of 5v5. One life rounds, no full shields, it's pretty fun.

I was never a fan of loadouts, don't know if they are gone entirely or not, but I appreciate the fair starts. Something that I welcome back most definitely. Although, I am a fan of AR (or SMG) starts over BR starts. BR starts changes the whole complexity and flow of a match into a way I like less than AR starts do.

The Hydra is a lock on Brute shot/Concussion rifle. No two ways about, but I cannot for the life of me aim the damn thing. It won't ever hit anyone unless I am a good 10 ft away, and aiming it at them to lock on, which of course I believe is it's gimmick. Firing from hip with that weapon seems useless unless I am right on top of someone.

The ranking system ****** me off, which is the first Halo ranking system to do so since Halo 3's "Lose and you lose XP, win and you gain XP" system. Probably because it is sort of the same thing gist as Halo 3's except sort of not. It makes me mad when I lose progress towards Onyx II or lose my Gold Rank because of losing. This gives more incentive to win instead of just slay. Which I would guess that's a good thing, but I'm glad SR is also back because I do like a good grind sometimes. Just hope it's way longer than Halo 4's SR system.

I'm still on the fence about the Graphics, I'm pretty sure once I see the Campaign's design and the look, I'll be more inclined to give judgment on it. From what I've seen it looks ok. Nothing that would blow me out of the water. The Blue Spartan's do look like Blue Spartans, same for the Red ones, for the first time in a while.

Next week they're doing forge maps, which one has a rocket launcher on it, which I'll love to get my hands on to see how it works. I definitely want to see the vehicle side of this game, but it looks like I won't see that until the release.

Overall, Really looking good so far to me though. There are things the beta can and will refine for the better later though.

Edited by rrhuntington

I was never a fan of loadouts, don't know if they are gone entirely or not, but I appreciate the fair starts. Something that I welcome back most definitely. Although, I am a fan of AR (or SMG) starts over BR starts. BR starts changes the whole complexity and flow of a match into a way I like less than AR starts do.

The Hydra is a lock on Brute shot/Concussion rifle. No two ways about, but I cannot for the life of me aim the damn thing. It won't ever hit anyone unless I am a good 10 ft away, and aiming it at them to lock on, which of course I believe is it's gimmick. Firing from hip with that weapon seems useless unless I am right on top of someone.

I'm still on the fence about the Graphics, I'm pretty sure once I see the Campaign's design and the look, I'll be more inclined to give judgment on it. From what I've seen it looks ok. Nothing that would blow me out of the water. The Blue Spartan's do look like Blue Spartans, same for the Red ones, for the first time in a while.

Edited the quote so you can see what parts I'm responding to.

I think loadouts are gone entirely, given that I haven't seen them anywhere. Personally I like BR starts. Having a decent weapon right off the bat is nice. It's not an unfair advantage either, since everyone has it.

Doesn't that basically make the Hydra a Plasma Launcher?

Even in Halo 4 the campaign graphics have been far better than the multiplayer graphics. Seems to be a tradition now. But also, this is a beta, and I think the Reach beta's graphics weren't quite as good as the final game's. Hopefully Halo 5's full graphics are amazing.

Doesn't that basically make the Hydra a Plasma Launcher?

I would say when your aiming it, but there's no charge time. I don't have to hold RT down. I can fire it whenever I want, and it locks on to Spartans. Probably vehicles too, but I wouldn't know. I guess now that I think about it, I guess it's like the Plasma launcher and the Brute Shot had a baby weapon.

Edited by rrhuntington

I'm very impressed by the Beta!!

The only thing I'd like to get in the full game is that you should be able to change the controller settings more.

I love the green thumb (german: Grüner Daumen) controlls its very close to any other shooter controlls like cod, bf, .... the thing I would realy like to see is that you can switch RB and LB as an oppurtiunity. The rest of the Beta is very very very nice and it would be extremly nice if we could play it longer or an second wave of Beta should come because I can't wait so long for the full game.

The new game modes are allsow very nice. Breakout is Hot.

Of course little things are not ready in the menu like in spartan-central sometimes models are not loading and I'm pink all the time but I'm sure this will be fixed. Perhaps some more oppurtiunities could be integrated their too like models for legs, arms .... as in Halo 4.

I enjoyed almost everything the beta had to offer.

The ranking system confuses me, I'd play 4 matches, then the next time I play, I have to start over again.

If I have to play 10 matches in a row to get ranked or whatever, then I'm not going to bother.

It's only a beta, so I'm not going to play it like a retail version.

I would say when your aiming it, but there's no charge time. I don't have to hold RT down. I can fire it whenever I want, and it locks on to Spartans. Probably vehicles too, but I wouldn't know. I guess now that I think about it, I guess it's like the Plasma launcher and the Brute Shot had a baby weapon.

Hmm. I think I'll watch a video of it now then.

I would like to start off by saying that the Halo 5 beta is really fun and enjoyable, the maps are cool and fun to play on, the guns feel nice, the 'ADS' (which I was a bit iffy on) has suprised me as i found myself liking it. Now there are some things i would like to adress so let us begin!

Spartan Abilities

The Spartan abilities bring a new level to the MP but, i would have to say that the spartan ability that i dislike the most is the shoulder charge. I'm sure people will agree with me when i say that this ability is annoying more often than not and can mess you up when trying to get a kill. Example, i'll be sprint towards someone getting ready to melee them and then find mysef zooming past them with the shoulder charge because i forgot about it and they kill me. (I can't be the only person this has happened to). I suggest either taking it out completely or maybe adding something like double-tapping the melee button to preform perform the shoulder charge. I really like the thruster, it's helpful to get out of trouble, the ground pound i don't mind, though i don't think i've used it once, the slide, well i kinda forgot it was a thing until a couple of days ago :sweat:, clamber is good it feels really smooth.

Killcam

Once again i feel many will agree when i say, please for the love of God and all that is holy get rid of the killcams. I read a post once that made a good point, the way halo is, 9 times out of 10 you know who killed you and how. Halo isn't like CoD where you die in half a second and have idea wth just happened. In halo you have time to see who's shooting you. I really dont need to see me getting stabbed in the face a second time when i saw it very clearly the first.

Weapons

Like I said before the weapons feel nice but some do need some tweaking. Now SMG feels really OP and i remember people saying it needed nerfing (if this has already happened, ignore this). People are saying that the AR is way to accurate but i haven't really used it much so i can't give an opinion on that. The sniper seems a lot slower then previous games so that's a little wierd.

Gametypes

So far there is Slayer and Breakout, both very fun and competitive which is always good. I'm not sure if 343i already have this planned (I hope they do), with slayer how you start with BRs, don't get me wrong love the BR but in regular Slayer you traditionally start with the AR. In Halo 3 there was Team Slayer and Team BRs, i would love to see the return of Team BRs and keep Team Slayer starting with ARs.

Minor Details

When you look at someone's player stats for example and you press 'B' to back out it make that beep sound it does after the countdown hits 0, not sure if this is intended or not but i find it kinda wierd.

Sometimes when I go to customize my spartan, he is pink and the visor is black no matter what colour he is or what visor  have on.

In the game lobby very often one of the players in the lobby will be duplicted, i seen someone get dupped up to six times! Until the game starts then it's normal.

That's about it! :band: :fun:

Apart from all the things I mentioned above Halo 5 so far is a really solid and enjoyable experience, solo or with friends. Keep it up 343i you've got something good here! :clap: :thumbsup:

ColdFusion - I think the risk involved in shoulder charging when you miss adds a new layer of skill. Have to do it right or you screw yourself over.

I can see why killcams aren't necessary, but why do they need to be removed? It's still better than just staring at your corpse until you respawn.

Glad to see you're enjoying it though!

Maggie - A few people have been having that problem. From what I've heard it's not a bug in the game, but the result of a download error. So first try turning your Xbox off, then on again (all the way off, not standby mode). If that fails, try reinstalling the game. Good luck.

I think the beta works well so far and I have only come across minor bugs in the game i.e. long loading times, poor connection, and server crashes. But these are not that common, the main problem I have with the game is the ADS (aim down scope) or the "smart scope" it works and isn't game breaking or unbalanced but I don't like it and I think it should be removed mostly because it doesn't really add much to the game and makes Halo feel more generic like other FPS games mainly Call of Duty or Crysis. It just doesn't feel like Halo as much and that brings me to the spartan abilities, in my opinion they feel like they are copied from Crysis especially the groundpound, smartscope, and clamber. I feel like 343 should have brought back the Halo 3 equipment rather than adding the spartan abilities. 

I can't even play the beta. ;-; Idk why, but It looks like the button is disabled. and i can't click it to play it or something, so what should i do? :( Though, I really wanna play... but I thought i could when i downloaded MCC.

Once the beta is downloaded you can only access it through you "games app" but if it still wont work that way then try calling microsoft to report a problem with opening your games

Okay, First of all ground pound is useless. There now that that's out of the way, Halo 5 guardians MPB is surprisingly fun to play and i found myself playing it hours on end, but there is one problem, The game is NOT HALO. It does not feel like halo one bit. It should really go back to the original Halo 3 playstyle. (Friendly reminder: this is my opinion on the game) I like how they brought the original ranking system back and small features like that but its just not halo. I don't know if anyone feels the same way but the whole E-sports (Not that i don't like e-sports games because i really do Eg: CS:GO) But its really not the right direction. Halo has already lost alot of players and i would hate to see the franchise loose more. 343 said that they realized their mistakes from Halo 4 but really, I don't think so. Personally: i don't like change, that's mostly the reason im making this post but halo has been known for its genuine multiplayer but right now its drifting off that path. like, not even the assault rifle feels right anymore. that's not good. but anyways, this is just my perspective of what ive experienced from the beta, but i is still a beta, I get that things can still change and i really hope they do. I'm really glad this game didn't come out last year or that would've just been horrible. Now if you've gotten this far congrats, but most of you are probably thinking right now "Well why don't you just go play the older halo's?" well because no one really plays them anymore, sure the master chief collection is out but it just isn't the same. call me picky all you want but to me its the truth. i have nothing against 343i in any way, i love them but they just need to touch up their game a bit more.

• 2 months later...