Need information on Boom

Bob Saget78

I have been deployed to afghanistan since March so I havnt been getting a whole lot of information on anything. I just found out that they are remaking Halo 1, and heard a little about the multiplayer. If someone can give me more information on this new Boom update that would be much appreciated. And yes I have read some articles on it but I fully understand it that well. Came here to get better info cause I can tell you guys know what it's like with all this "I love it/ I hate it" arguments about it

No bloom feels like Halo 2, It makes Reach feel like Halo again in my honest opinion. I personally enjoy the change.

Bungie gave over the Halo series to 343i, and 343 immediately started off with a Title Update to Reach.

The update included modifications to Armour lock, and a 85% and no bloom playlist. (no bloom simply means that the reticle no longer expands when you shoot. and 85% is a reduced expand when you shoot). 343i is gathering info from the community on what they will continue to use.

CE anniversary will feature 6 classic Halo maps rebuilt for Halo Reach, and a new Firefight map. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (Halo 1) comes to stores November 15th, 2011.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

well, there are two new gametypes out in the playlist. There are more but there are two main changes in the gametypes. One group of gametypes is zero bloom, no bloom whatsoever for headshot weapons. The other group of gametypes is 85% bloom. This is reduced bloom, but not al the way taken out. In both groups armor lock and active camo have been tweaked. In armor lock, if the player takes damage while in armor lock it reduces the time he can remain in armor lock. The active camo time has been reduced and bleed through damage has been added. This means that the player can take damage through his shields. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information guys. Also I have some other questions like is no boom for all the weapons or just certain ones? And is Reach going to have all of the new maps the anniversary has or is it separate multiplayer. Also does it make the DMR too powerful? And is the pistol as powerful as in Halo 1 now cause I have been hearing talk about that?

First off bro, these guys don't get bloom. They actually still think that the blooming reticule on the screen is why the weapons fire the way they do. Dead wrong. You can find info on bloom directly from frankie over at Bungie.org. They did an interview with him on the Title Update and he tells you just what bloom is more or less.

But anyway, I'll explain it all out for you. And yes, this information is rock solid and pulled directly out of Reach's tags and data fields....

Bloom: Bloom is a function of the HUD (heads up display). This feature is responsable for the conrracting and expanding of the aiming reticule. Bloom has

been a feature of the HUD since Halo 3. The purpose of bloom, is to give players a real time indication of what area they can expect their shots to

land. Bloom does not nor did it ever control where the wepaon fires. Bloom gets it's vector, or "blooming" from data in the [weap] tag.

[Weap]: This is how "weapon" looks when browsing a tag layout in halo title. The weapon tag is where all wepaon functionality is stored. In the weapon tag, you can find data on what we call "attachments", "Firing effects", "projectile" used, "models, "fp_animations" and a lot more stuff. The particular fields in which bloom gets it's movment data from are the following fields in the weapon tag are..... (some are named differently actually)

"fire recovery time"- the amount of time before a next shot can be fired

"distribution angle" - the total amount of spread available for projectiles

"error angle" - the amount of increased spread. usually a small number for "minimum", then usually the total angle for the "maximum"

"distribution function" - controls if the projectile is normal, or fires in other patterns like "fan"

The remaining factors that are given to the blooming reticule from the [proj] tag, or "projectile". Hopefully this isn't too technical and gives you a better understanding of what bloom is.

Now in terms of new maps, yes Reach is getting new maps. CEA will not have any type of stand alone multiplayer experience outside of co-op campaign. This was done so that 343 did not end up dividing the player base up.

The TU does make the DMR fire like the Battle Rifle, but the amount of power it has depends on if they tweaked the default damage responses. If you are talking about just basic removal of blooming reticule, then no. it still has the same amount of power behind every shot as it always did.

The pistol yes, has been tweaked to deliver more damage per shot that it had before the TU.

No problem. If you ever need to know anything about specific assett or engine mechanics, don't hesitate to ask. Hope to see you online soon man! And if your still over in Afghan, stay safe and thanks for doing what you do everyday in the name of the United States.

Thanks for the support everyone. Can't wait to play Reach online again and see what is title update is all about. I just have been thinking that the pistol being more powerful and all, is that going to make the DMR not even worth picking up. So if anyone can tell me if the pistol is more powerful than the DMR that would be helpful information when I get online in a couple of weeks.

Close Range: Pistol > DMR

Mid Range: Pistol = DMR (I think the DMR may slightly edge the Pistol though)

Long Range: Pistol < DMR

It all depends on what map you are playing on I would say.

Using a pistol on Sanctuary (asylum) is more difficult to use than it would be if you used a pistol on Countdown.

This is just my opinion though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Close Range: Pistol > DMR

Mid Range: Pistol = DMR (I think the DMR may slightly edge the Pistol though)

Long Range: Pistol < DMR

It all depends on what map you are playing on I would say.

Using a pistol on Sanctuary (asylum) is more difficult to use than it would be if you used a pistol on Countdown.

This is just my opinion though.

Now thats a nice way to look at it. Very valid and with good details, nice work!