Why You Shouldn't Be Scared of Halo 5: Guardians' Changes

VinWarrior

Now look, before I start this, I'd like to point out a lot of this is educated opinion I've done viewing countless threads and playing countless hours of Halo, as well as interacting with you guys. I cannot say how the final product will be as I have not play it, and neither can anyone else, which is what this thread is about. So this is a sort-of-kind-of rant about Halo 5: Guardians, and how the rage is unnecessary. This is bound to ruffle a few feathers, but taking what you've seen above, take what I say with a grain of salt. Enjoy!

I'll admit, I haven't been a fan of Halo or Bungie since the beginning, I hopped on the bandwagon when Halo 3 released, and from then, I was enthralled with this strange and unique series that seemed to hit all the right points. And, I won't lie, Halo 4 was disappointing to me and a lot of other people, but, it wasn't at all a bad game. As a starter game, it had a lot to it, good and bad, and balanced it out so well that the community was split right in the middle, which caused the great collapse of Halo in what many people considered was the death of a franchise. That's right, Halo 4 didn't kill the franchise, the fans did, even though they thought they were helping their favorite series, the constant bickering in the end caused such a rift that most just up and quit. That was, until the Master Chief Collection, and the promise of a better Halo 5. And, in a lot of ways, the hype to the Master Chief Collection played a large part in why people are disappointed with Halo 5: Guardians already, a game that has barely seen any limelight.

post-26953-0-45478000-1417152799.jpg

I for one was excited as well to play The Master Chief Collection, but I had something most didn't, excitement for Halo 5: Guardians. From what I'd seen in the cinematic, the game was going to have a stellar multiplayer that added unto the experience rather than keeping it the same. When the gameplay premiered, I was very excited to play, but, quite a bit of the community again disagreed, and went straight to forums to rant about how 343i was 'ruining' Halo, making all these changes. But, people moaning about Halo 5's changes are the reason Halo 5 WILL be rated poorly. Halo fans are afraid of change, at least the majority are. People cry for a return to Halo 2's style of gameplay, yet also cry when things are too similar, I don't understand it all that well. 343i is trying to evolve the core gameplay, not change it, and they added a decent amount of things that I quite like that add to the already fun and familiar experience. People cry of Halo copying other franchises, yet at the time of conception, the game was already very similar in base plot and gameplay to other games like DOOM. Why didn't people complain during those times? Quite a bit of the community is scared that 343i is changing the game and are boycotting it because of it without even trying it. And even if they did, they would yell the same tired lines, ''Too much like CoD!'' or ''Titanfall clone!'' It baffles my mind, and makes me sad for the future of gaming.

post-26953-0-95178500-1417152839.png

What I'm trying to say is, before you start writing petitions to get Bungie back or change the game or close 343i, think about how the game is evolving, and think about the actual 'changes' being done. 343i is making Halo 5 closer to classic games while evolving how you move around to make it more fluid and ergo more competitive, and they're trying something new. Halo 4 wasn't a mediocre game because it changed things, but because it didn't keep the same competitive feel, the feel that Halo 5 seems to possess. I'm not saying that the game is going to be the best thing ever, don't misinterpret my words, the game isn't even out yet. What I say is that to judge the game NOW solely on new additions is purely inane. Think about it a bit and play for yourself. If you are an angry Bungie elitist, I hope I've gotten through a bit to you to at least give Halo 5 a chance when the beta releases, and not judge purely on footage. I also hope you no longer doubt 343i for no real reason purely because they aren't entirely Bungie, you must remember these are still talented people who know how to listen to a community, and just because you want every Halo to be Halo 2 doesn't mean everyone else does, maybe adding to a franchise can add to an experience?

I'm EK, signing off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz53wLZtwQU

• Like 6

Hmmmm.....No.

1. We can certainly judge with our eyes. Can we not see sprint being used? Can we not see weapons such as the Assault Rifle and SMG beating precision weapons now that they have Smart-scope? Can we not see the clear animation of a weapon coming up to the Spartan's eye level and 343 saying 'Its not ADS!'? 

We can certainly judge with our eyes. Will that mean they are accurate? Probably not. But watching a game in action can tell wonders about how it plays, and to say that isn't true is.....well, not true.

2. It isn't that the majority of Halo fans don't like 'Change'. After all, Halo is known for innovation. But as it is right now, what we want is for Halo to evolve it's current form - and that involves good changes, not bad ones.

How many people have decried Sprint? How many people have been pissed off that 343 decided to randomly add a Fourth pillar to the staple 3 Pillars of the Halo franchise? 

People want good change. Yes, good varies player to player but if we're talking about Halo, the general idea is that it has to FEEL like Halo. Being able to aim down sight with guns like the AR and SMG? Boosting around? Mantling? Ground Pounding? Shoulder Charging?

That just doesn't feel like Halo to many people. If anything, these are things that we've seen in both Advanced Warfare and Destiny.

Halo has always been regarded as unique and innovative. But taking a bunch of mechanics in other games and putting it into your own isn't innovation, it's following other innovators. It's as though 343 are not faithful in the success of the IP that has landed in their hands.

Keep in mind that so far, of the 5 FPS Halo games released so far (Not counting the MCC since it's been released so recently), the 2 that have failed the most, that have received the most negative reaction, are the 2 that have tried to incorporate elements from other games; what you call 'Evolution' and what many see as 'Modernization'.

Good change is good.

But bad change is bad.

And keeping bad changes is also bad.

It's not like seeing gameplay footage rather than holding it in your hand magically blinds you from seeing all the bad changes you dislike.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmmm.....No.

1. We can certainly judge with our eyes. Can we not see sprint being used? Can we not see weapons such as the Assault Rifle and SMG beating precision weapons now that they have Smart-scope? Can we not see the clear animation of a weapon coming up to the Spartan's eye level and 343 saying 'Its not ADS!'? 

We can certainly judge with our eyes. Will that mean they are accurate? Probably not. But watching a game in action can tell wonders about how it plays, and to say that isn't true is.....well, not true.

2. It isn't that the majority of Halo fans don't like 'Change'. After all, Halo is known for innovation. But as it is right now, what we want is for Halo to evolve it's current form - and that involves good changes, not bad ones.

How many people have decried Sprint? How many people have been ****** off that 343 decided to randomly add a Fourth pillar to the staple 3 Pillars of the Halo franchise? 

People want good change. Yes, good varies player to player but if we're talking about Halo, the general idea is that it has to FEEL like Halo. Being able to aim down sight with guns like the AR and SMG? Boosting around? Mantling? Ground Pounding? Shoulder Charging?

That just doesn't feel like Halo to many people. If anything, these are things that we've seen in both Advanced Warfare and Destiny.

Halo has always been regarded as unique and innovative. But taking a bunch of mechanics in other games and putting it into your own isn't innovation, it's following other innovators. It's as though 343 are not faithful in the success of the IP that has landed in their hands.

Keep in mind that so far, of the 5 FPS Halo games released so far (Not counting the MCC since it's been released so recently), the 2 that have failed the most, that have received the most negative reaction, are the 2 that have tried to incorporate elements from other games; what you call 'Evolution' and what many see as 'Modernization'.

Good change is good.

But bad change is bad.

And keeping bad changes is also bad.

It's not like seeing gameplay footage rather than holding it in your hand magically blinds you from seeing all the bad changes you dislike.

Oh look, another self-entitled jerk everyone.

Oh look, another useless reply from another useless member.

Both Ed and Haysus have good points on both their ends of the argument.  While Ed's post was a quick round over view to layout how Halo 5 is shaping up to be, he also straight out gave his own opinion of what could make this a great title.  On the other end Haysus has also pointed out many ideas and beliefs that DO ring true in the Halo community.  One would be blind, not to see all the rage/hate/crying about various AA's and Abilities we already have in Reach and Halo 4.  On regular occasion, you will see more negative feedback than positive.  Is this indictive of of the overall feeling as a majority of the community?  No, it isn't.  But one would have to think that if this many people are flaming about how much halo has changed, then wouldn't the people who like it, want to stand up and back what they like?

Conclusion, I have to agree with Haysus.  I've seen more comments and material than I ever care to talk about, and I do not like the direction halo is heading.  Halo 4 was my last Halo.  I will NOT buy an Xbox One, nor will i purchase another Halo title outside a PC release.  Watching gameplay footage CAN tell you exactly how the game feels and plays.  The only way it wouldn't, is if you are a newcomer to the franchise.