mission editor

lolslayer

Hey guys, I was thinking, why not adding a mission editor?

Halo 2 anniversary forge had everything to do with triggers and awesome natural stuff, so why not making it possible to make single player and co-op missions by adding enemy spawners?

There's nearly nothing more to implent, yes, there should be an objective or some more, but enemy spawners which can be triggered and objectives shouldnt be that hard right? And I think that everybody would love it :D

Plz tell me if you guys like the idea ;D

All AI requires Pathfinding.  Triggers in Forge are not real "Volume triggers".  They are premade events that are scripted.  Triggers require a lot more than simply placing like in Forge.  The backend work to make them is daunting, not to mention the linking of AI Zones, AI Squads, and the myriad of settings for all dependent tags.  Simply put, it aint ever gonna happen!  Which is why such modifications are only done on computer ports.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fabulous idea to increase replay value, but it's not feasible on consoles.  No real editing is.

• Like 1

All AI requires Pathfinding.  Triggers in Forge are not real "Volume triggers".  They are premade events that are scripted.  Triggers require a lot more than simply placing like in Forge.  The backend work to make them is daunting, not to mention the linking of AI Zones, AI Squads, and the myriad of settings for all dependent tags.  Simply put, it aint ever gonna happen!  Which is why such modifications are only done on computer ports.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fabulous idea to increase replay value, but it's not feasible on consoles.  No real editing is.

that's just too bad, i Always wanted to have something where you could make single player missions in, but ok, forge in halo 2 anniversary is so good that you can nearly make missions with 1 team covenants and 1 team humans using triggers ;D

That's actually an amazing idea! could get more people to be more interactive within the campaign side of halo rather than some users who prefer to stick with matchmaking, not like thats a bad thing anyhow. But what TwinReaper said!

yeah, i think that it would be amazing too ;D

maybe its hard becuase of all those ai stuff, but it should be possible, just look at far cry :P

Im not saying its impossible or never going to happen. But the way Blam! is written now, it doesnt support that ability unless they found a way to make Megaloscript be able to pull it off. If they redo certain parts of the engine, then yes, we might see something like that.

I highly doubt you will ever get a true editor with a console game it just seems too complicated for a controller and it's not as simple as placing A.I. down and letting them go at it. If you take a look at the Editors provided for Halo CE and Halo 2 PC you will find that it's actually more robust then forge in many ways, but the learning curve to actually figure out how to use the editors are way harder than forge and that's because when developing single player missions and A.I. pathfinding and new custom areas essentially pretty much makes you a game Dev. It would be awesome if they released a robust editor, but I'm not sure it's feasible. 

Im not saying its impossible or never going to happen. But the way Blam! is written now, it doesnt support that ability unless they found a way to make Megaloscript be able to pull it off. If they redo certain parts of the engine, then yes, we might see something like that.

halo 5 has a brand new engine, maybe that engine has that ability

I highly doubt you will ever get a true editor with a console game it just seems too complicated for a controller and it's not as simple as placing A.I. down and letting them go at it. If you take a look at the Editors provided for Halo CE and Halo 2 PC you will find that it's actually more robust then forge in many ways, but the learning curve to actually figure out how to use the editors are way harder than forge and that's because when developing single player missions and A.I. pathfinding and new custom areas essentially pretty much makes you a game Dev. It would be awesome if they released a robust editor, but I'm not sure it's feasible. 

yeah, i know that the editors of halo ce and halo 2 pc are way more complicated, but if you can see what far cry 4 can do, why not in halo? far cry 4 is also on consoles

Forge was great in Halo 4 and Reach. I do not really think that mission editor will be fun on many maps because of limited space or at least as not as fun as you think. Adding more forge maps would be awesome though.

What I want to say is that they really should add enemy AI in forge. They could add scripts for them so they act as they do as a randomly generated character and just let us place spawners that we can fight in human forge mode. Great Idea for the AI.

Halo 2 anniversary forge had everything to do with triggers and awesome natural stuff, so why not making it possible to make single player and co-op missions by adding enemy spawners?

There's nearly nothing more to implent, yes, there should be an objective or some more, but enemy spawners which can be triggered and objectives shouldnt be that hard right? And I think that everybody would love it :D

Forge was great in Halo 4 and Reach. I do not really think that mission editor will be fun on many maps because of limited space or at least as not as fun as you think. Adding more forge maps would be awesome though.

What I want to say is that they really should add enemy AI in forge. They could add scripts for them so they act as they do as a randomly generated character and just let us place spawners that we can fight in human forge mode. Great Idea for the AI.

thx, but with the forge maps, look at halo 2 anniversary, there are 3 completely empty forge worlds so you can make some cool maps in it

Halo 2 anniversary forge had everything to do with triggers and awesome natural stuff, so why not making it possible to make single player and co-op missions by adding enemy spawners?

lol, shouldnt you add a text to it, or were you just quoting it? :D

The editors mentioned previously, are a completely different beast than Forge.  Forge is a simple editor, the HEK (Halo Editing Kit) is as close to actual dev tools as the Halo Community can get.  The only reason Far Cry can edit the things is could in the first one, such as terrain generation, etc... Is because of the way that particular version of Cryengine was written, and how it handles collision.  Blam unfortunately still also uses the very old, but semi-efficient, bsp-tree for it's level mesh.  To my knowledge, Havok doesn't support nor have anything in it's code base to allow real time geometry or physics changes without collision breaking. 

Second though, even with a new console, the hardware just isn't there to support the tools needed to run on the console.  Besides which, anything true HEK for a console, would require allowing the player to run compiling and open resource heavy applications.  Most people are unaware, but the Xbox, both 360 and One, can only run one executable at a time.  So having the game run and using a toolset wouldn't work.  Aside from that, even the PC tools utilize almost a full 8 gig of RAM just to run placement tool Sapien, along with compiling features needed to create content.  Sadly, even with great hardware, it's just not feesable to see full sets of tools come to the consoles.  And besides, 90% of the community wouldn't even know how to use them or probably be able to learn to use them effectively.   

• Like 1

The editors mentioned previously, are a completely different beast than Forge.  Forge is a simple editor, the HEK (Halo Editing Kit) is as close to actual dev tools as the Halo Community can get.  The only reason Far Cry can edit the things is could in the first one, such as terrain generation, etc... Is because of the way that particular version of Cryengine was written, and how it handles collision.  Blam unfortunately still also uses the very old, but semi-efficient, bsp-tree for it's level mesh.  To my knowledge, Havok doesn't support nor have anything in it's code base to allow real time geometry or physics changes without collision breaking. 

Second though, even with a new console, the hardware just isn't there to support the tools needed to run on the console.  Besides which, anything true HEK for a console, would require allowing the player to run compiling and open resource heavy applications.  Most people are unaware, but the Xbox, both 360 and One, can only run one executable at a time.  So having the game run and using a toolset wouldn't work.  Aside from that, even the PC tools utilize almost a full 8 gig of RAM just to run placement tool Sapien, along with compiling features needed to create content.  Sadly, even with great hardware, it's just not feesable to see full sets of tools come to the consoles.  And besides, 90% of the community wouldn't even know how to use them or probably be able to learn to use them effectively.   

ok but that wasnt what i wanted to say, the only real thing i wanted to add is ai, maybe some new terrain props but i didnt want that much terrain (i would still like it ;D), this post was more for making missions and ai :P

• 2 weeks later...

GUYS I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO STOP PPL SAYING THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, SEARCH THIS ON YOUTUBE:

halo 3 - AI playground - spawning AI in forge

then take the one from gamercheat13

see? it IS possible to add AI, some can even drive vehicles, I know that the ai isn't moving until they see an enemy, but I'm still ok with that, if they can add something like this in halo 5 then I'll freak out and go to 343i to hug them all : 3

I never said it was impossible.  Those hacks involve memory editing amongst other things.  It took 7 years to get that working.  Just because I can put AI in multiplayer map in retail and PC platform Halo games, doesn't mean that it can done legit through in-game tools.  All those AI hacks and crap you see, required a COMPUTER to pull off.

Oh Twin, using those big words to confuse me ^_^

Honestly, I think if Halo is ever brought back to PC legitimately, then they could add a "Mission editor".

But otherwise, forge is just fine. I think they should add 16 player Firefight. But that's just me ^_^ 

I never said it was impossible.  Those hacks involve memory editing amongst other things.  It took 7 years to get that working.  Just because I can put AI in multiplayer map in retail and PC platform Halo games, doesn't mean that it can done legit through in-game tools.  All those AI hacks and crap you see, required a COMPUTER to pull off.

ehm, no? it was on a modified xbox

and you also need computers to program halo :/

I'm aware of what you need to do to modify Halo game files in-game.  Yes it was memory editing via the commonly known way to do it via "Poking".  It's all done RTH (Real Time Halo)  Which is a feature incorporated by many halo apps such as Assembly, Entity, Horizon etc...   Without a computer to attach to the 360 to debug and poke offsets, these hacks don't get done.  You should probably spend about 10+ years hacking Halo before you try to correct me or pass of knowledge to me that I DONT know.

well, they didnt take 7 years to make it, only a few months, after that, they used a modified x-box, not a computer, i think this is very possible in halo 5

No you don't get it.  it took 7 years or so maybe a bit less to figure out the exacts of RTH'ing everything in Halo 3.  Even bsp extraction and modeling editing didn't quite get figured out till the last year or so.  A modified Xbox 360 just allows you to run unsigned code.  YOU CANNOT EXECUTE MODDING PROGRAMS while Halo 3 is running.  Hence why you need a PC connected to the Xbox 360 running Assembly or another 3rd party app to poke memory.  We still can't modify entire maps because that requires a Public/Private Key Pair to encrypt map files.

The only other method of currently modding halo 3 is only through game save data or gametype data.  And that alone doesn't get you AI.  Seriously dude, you better do some research and get some hands on experience with this stuff before you try talking about it.

No you don't get it.  it took 7 years or so maybe a bit less to figure out the exacts of RTH'ing everything in Halo 3.  Even bsp extraction and modeling editing didn't quite get figured out till the last year or so.  A modified Xbox 360 just allows you to run unsigned code.  YOU CANNOT EXECUTE MODDING PROGRAMS while Halo 3 is running.  Hence why you need a PC connected to the Xbox 360 running Assembly or another 3rd party app to poke memory.  We still can't modify entire maps because that requires a Public/Private Key Pair to encrypt map files.

The only other method of currently modding halo 3 is only through game save data or gametype data.  And that alone doesn't get you AI.  Seriously dude, you better do some research and get some hands on experience with this stuff before you try talking about it.

maybe i must do more research, but you also must find out what i want to say, it IS possible to add AI, and especially when you can edit the code like 343i can do, so i mean that it is fully possible in halo 5 and easy to do, if hackers with limited amount of resources can do it, then 343i with all researches can do it too in no time