Why is there so much hate on halo: reach!?

awesomeman245

Why is there so much hate on halo reach?! I dont get it, it was a great game, friendly to beginners and added in alot of great features.

Why Halo: Reach is my favourite Halo game.

-firefight mode

-it was the first halo I ever played

-friendly to beginners

-it had a great ranking system

- the amour customizeing system was awesome

This is my opinion, so dont hate.

:respect: halo: reach

• Like 2

For me, Halo Reach is my second favourite Halo game. It introduced so many good aspects to the series, but has serious flaws.

Very good things of the game could be said as;

• Firefight was a let down in comparison to Halo 3 ODST, it was a lot easier and you didn't fell like you were actually trying to survive.
  • It is somewhat easy to beginners, a lot more so than previous titles.
  • The armour customisation was brilliant, by far the best out of the series. But very hard to obtain.
  • Forge World was one of the best inclusions into any of the Halo games, it's limitations were just unimaginable at the time.
  • The music was at the highest standard for Marty O'Donnell
  • Armour abilities can be seen as evolving the game into the next stage of its life, depends on view point.

However, it the game has some serious flaws;

• The ranking system was by far the worst out of all the Halo games, Halo ranks should not be determined by exp or credits, but by actual skill involved. I know many Inheritors (highest level) who would get absolutely trashed over by a Warrant Officer.
  • The servers were rubbish, you were lucky to not get a black screen of host connection every two or three games. The amount of time I've spent waiting for the game to resume is probably half a day in total.
  • The story completely destroyed pre-established canon that was in the books and Halo CE. It was too short and rushed, not giving any time to explain what the hell was going on, many plot holes existed in it also.
  • Maps were just recycled straight from the campaign, no effort was done to create any original content, the original maps were done as DLC by 3rd party team Certain Affinity in collaboration with 343industries later on.
  • Armour abilities can also be seen has diving too far out in the deep for the Halo series, something that didn't belong.

So from those negatives, you can understand why people hated Halo Reach. From the different aspects of opinion, different people have different tastes in games, and Halo Reach may or may not have been one of them.

• Like 3

Halo Reach was one of my favorite Halo games because:

-Firefight let us Xbox Liveless players to have some fun besides the campaign

-Very emotional story involving the death of all of Noble Team, including the player (you)

-Co-op campaign with all of Noble Team

-Great maps

Lots of reasons, although it's not my favorite, it's certainly a good game

• Like 1

Halo Reach was one of my favorite Halo games because: -Firefight let us Xbox Liveless players to have some fun besides the campaign -Very emotional story involving the death of all of Noble Team, including the player (you) -Co-op campaign with all of Noble Team -Great maps Lots of reasons, although it's not my favorite, it's certainly a good game

Arbiter747 Stole my words... So.. you've the © on your message now :c

• Like 1

It was, at one point, my favorite. The hate I've seen is mainly due to the introduction of Armor Abilities and Loadouts.

Now, having taken a long break from Halo and subsequently returned to it, my tastes have changed in some ways. I don't know what my favorite game is anymore, but it isn't Reach. I do not have any hate for Reach though.

In terms of gameplay,

Friendliness to beginners in reach involved compressing the skill gap; which happened through:

- A ranking system that isn't skill based

- The inclusion of many more random factors in the multiplayer (Most vehemently, bloom)

Other issues that made people mad included:

- Armor Abilities were easy to abuse and, when abused, were annoying as hell (Jetpack let you get out of the map and stay out and kill things easily with sniper, Camo let you just sit in one spot, Sprint let you escape from fights that you would lose, or just ignore having to shoot and double pummel, same as evade)

- Old functionalities that slowed down gameplay (Health packs)

- Different functionalities that slowed down gameplay (No bleedthrough melee)

- Frag grenades were nearly at Halo 1 level strength

In general, people saw Halo Reach as the point where, in terms of gameplay, the developers started adding elements taken from other twitch shooters and injected it into Halo. The result was a sandbox that lost its balance and was also slowed down heavily despite the addition of sprint. Rather than create a symphony between classic Halo's arena style shooter and the faster paced action of games such as CoD and Battlefield, a conglomeration of overpowered mechanics were produced that generally favoured players who camped on small maps or hung back on big maps.

If you could describe Halo 5: Guardians as Halo 2 on steroids, then Halo: Reach would be like.....giving Halo 1 the slow-drug.

Halo: Reach is definitely one of my favourite Halo games in the series.There are plenty reasons why,but I will list just some of them:

• Plot (amazing,a bit complicated but alot emotional) --- > Note: Not everything made by book
  • Firefight mode (I love that part)
  • Armor abilities (I love all of them)
  • Cutscenes (pure beauty)
  • Extra emotional moments (Kat's & Jorge's death the most)
  • Funny lines (well,Halo always needs funny lines)
  • Not hard to play (even if set on legendary)
  • Ending (that moment when you feel alot of sadness & happiness at same time)

As I said,just a list with some of them.And here goes a question for those weird people.Why hate on this game?

Don't hate on Halo: Reach.Instead of that go and play it,feel it.Be a part of spartans who battled and died to save our race.

If you're a true Halo fan,then you probably shouldn't hate the game.There is other way to judge something and it's called complaint.At last,my answer is - I love Halo: Reach :)

The only real problem I had with it is this

Armor+Lock.jpg

I hate this almost more that the Boltshot in Halo 4

You can't even imagine how I got mad and crazy like animal after getting icy hit while I was in ghost riding around through damn circle full of enemies.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a fun game, but in no means a good game.

The story had absolutely no impact on me, unlike previous halo campaigns.

The MP ranking system was stupid, no skill ranking whatsoever.

Firefight was fun for about 10 minutes then it was just too easy.

Forge was a huge improvement, and the Highlight of reach.

Overall it wasn't a great "Halo" game IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of saying why I love/hate Reach I shall answer the question....... :)

Change....

That is why Reach got so much hate.

Because the Halo community hates change. And the changes Bungie made in Halo reach also spilt to community in two.

One part wants the next Halo game to be more like Halo2/Halo3 the other part wants the next Halo game to be more like Reach/Halo4.

So 343 are going to have to do a very carful balancing act in H5.

• Like 2

Change....

Because the Halo community hates change. And the changes Bungie made in Halo reach also spilt to community in two.

One part wants the next Halo game to be more like Halo2/Halo3 the other part wants the next Halo game to be more like Reach/Halo4.

I cannot believe this is the first time I agree with you.Good answer and you are 100% correct. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

it received hate because reach is a more professional take on the halo series, alot of people played it before playing the other titles and didnt understand it, and some expected halo 3, not to mention there was alot in the alphas and betas that never made it to the final, such as space pvp battles, and ai map creation on forge, alotta the weapons are also under powered compared to halo3 and 4, you have to work harder on acuracy and straff movements, and the physics are more advanced in the way of realism that bungie had been trying to implement, i think bungie could have added more to it, and should of kept their dlc list for those of us who bought it all, considering the online count isnt exaclty reliable in the way that it doesn't add people alotta times to the poll count, not to mention the dlc play list was taken off when everyone finally bought it, you cant expect people to by it if your not gonna let them use it in matchmaking(not many want to wait for people who have it to randomly pop up, i have all the dlc and havent played one of em ever, so that's ridiculous)......

certain weapons such as the plasma repeater and needle rifle should have had more shield piercing capabilities, while certain shrapnel weapons such as the DMR should have had more effect on armor, they also could have done updates that added more weapons into the game so the fans would keep interest and would have maybe inspired 343 to do the same, some story additions would have been amazing to, after all i would like reach to have more levels, would have been neat to play as other reach survivors like buck from ODST, not to mention chief was on reach, could have played him there, or playing as jun who left with halsey, could have also added forge dlc, the plasma pistol also ran outta charge power to quickly,  the brute shot (seeing that it shoots giant metal heated spikes) should have done more damage, and been involved on more maps, its to bad they didn't add the brute shot, has always been my favorite halo weapon of all time...

the needler should have had more melee damage as youre stabbing others with a spiked bladed gun, the difference in mind between a blunt weapon and a bladed weapon on your opponent, additions to forge could have involved more fx and gadgets, maybe vehicle additions like the revenant or hornet, let you spawn up props like pelicans(unusable because they had issues with them being used) or some animals that run around, maybe change the skybox as an option, could have added skins and textures, or even different items to the building sets, maybe new decor, a custom color editor, let you color the vehicles, or even design your buildings with art and pics, more vegetation or natural items would have been nice, more custom gameype capabilities and spawning methods, along with custom objectives, many things they could have added, but they were always to focused on the pvp sadly

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lets see could it be that there are too many cheaters on reach since 343 took over more and more it really pathetic that they cant play honest

Change....

looks like 343 failed yet again

Because the story actively disregards the book at several points, and stretches a quick, decisive battle into a 3 month long campaign that the UNSC decided not to bother doing anything about until a 300-strong fleet showed up.

I like reach because It was the most believable halo story with halo 3 coming very close.

Reach was in no way believable.

Well,I think why most people hate on it is because they don't know the story.The story of Reach is that it was the first planet that they got in contact with humans.So,that being said Reach is supposed to be the first game.But Halo: Combat Evolved already placed on Reach,but was from Master Chiefs POV.Halo Reach took place on the same planet but in the Noble Teams POV (Noble 6).

Well,I think why most people hate on it is because they don't know the story.The story of Reach is that it was the first planet that they got in contact with humans.So,that being said Reach is supposed to be the first game.But Halo: Combat Evolved already placed on Reach,but was from Master Chiefs POV.Halo Reach took place on the same planet but in the Noble Teams POV (Noble 6).

Your off a bit with your lore.

Reach was not the first planet the covenant met the humans at it was actually Harvest, most remote human colonized planet at the time of the first planetary meeting between covenant and Humans.

The reason Chief was on Reach well that's a whole different story. Halo Reach was well, the fall of Reach. Halo CE took place on a Halo ring not a planet.

In the end of Reach when you see Chief, this actually takes place a few days before the events of CE.

This is wrong on every single level;

The Covenant encountered humans on the colony of Harvest in 2525, and in the next decade proceeded to destroy several hundred worlds that made up the outer colonies including (But not limited) Sargasso, Arcadia, Jericho VII, Chi Ceti IV and more. Reach was the second-last planet to be attacked in mid-2552, the book canon stating this battle to be over in a day and resulting in the destruction of the majority of the UNSC Navy, the SPARTAN-II's and UNSC's primary shipyards. Te game canon instead shows the UNSC to be fighting on the planet for a number of months and engaging in active warfare on a continent the size of Africa with barely a whisper of Orbital Support or reinforcements from Earth; with literally no Naval presence to be sighted despite the appearance of a CSO-Class carrier, a 27 kilometre long vessel. Yet Reach's extensive network of satellites, Naval Defences and outposts do not pick this up or relay it to FLEETCOM, instead letting SPECWARGROUP/3 take care of it. Another discrepancy occurs in that the Pillar of Autumn is not a vessel rated for atmosphere, and was stated to be in combat aboe Reach (with Cortana) at the time of the mission of the same name- raising questions as to how and why Cortana and the Autumn got to the planet's surface for many years until 343i's Data Drops, coupled with the reprint of The Fall of Reach, answered some of the discrepancies. In addition, Halo Wars is set in 2531, making that the first Halo Game, if put in Chronological order.

Going back to your original comment, it would appear that you do not know the story. I would suggest actually paying attention to things before making stupid comments.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get it either.

Reach was the best of ALL halo games to date in my opinion.

Best level design.

Compassionate campaign (true to the books or not).

Fantastic weapons variety.

Replay value.

Armor options.

Enemy variety.

Challenging.

And aside from falling to earth from space and surviving, I thought it was believable.

I think bacon shelf has very good points, but is taking things just a little too seriously.

Though I must say, I'm very impressed with your halo universe knowledge.

So what do you do with your SPARE time?

I don't get it either.

Reach was the best of ALL halo games to date in my opinion.

Best level design.

Compassionate campaign (true to the books or not).

Fantastic weapons variety.

Replay value.

Armor options.

Enemy variety.

Challenging.

And aside from falling to earth from space and surviving, I thought it was believable.

I think bacon shelf has very good points, but is taking things just a little too seriously.

Though I must say, I'm very impressed with your halo universe knowledge.

So what do you do with your SPARE time?

I'm not taking it too seriously at all; when there is fans who have sunk hundreds of pounds and hours into buying books, comics, games an othe media, being told by a company- indirectly (Like Reach) or directly (Like Disney and Star Wars) that everything was worth pretty much nothing is a giant "**** You" to those fans.

Conversely, falling from space makes sense; MJOLNIR armour is equipped with a gel layer that hardens on impacts (Like bullets, falls eye) to absorb shock damage while retaining mobility.

-Read and watch halo media

-MCU

-Write my own science fiction

-Do physics stuff

• Like 1