Halo 5: Guardians Ranking System Explained!

Is not JL

Heyo guys. So recently, one of teambeyond's members spammed the crap out of a person called Joshua Menke, who you may or may not know depending on your competitive gaming history. If you haven't heard of him, he's the guy who designed the ranking system for Starcraft II and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, both of which have sophisticated ranking systems that have encouraged many players to take up ranked play.

Now, 343 are working with Menke to work on the Halo 5: Guardians ranking system, and we will see it in action for the first time when the Beta for H5G rolls around. Teambeyond has an article written up with details about each and every small detail and educated assumptions they're making from Menke's replies to their tweets so if you guys want to take a look at their article feel free.

But personally I'm lazy so if given the chance I'd just view it here. So......

That's the treatment you readers of this post shall be getting. Do not, a lot of things have been simplified/cut out for the sake of...well, simplicity.

_____

Halo 5: Guardians Ranking System: Competitive Skill Ranking (CSR)

Gamescom-2014-Halo-5-Guardians-Multiplay

Yes, you read right. The ranking system is called CSR; however, in terms of functionality, it is NOTHING like the variant seen (Or rather, not seen. Get it?) in Halo 4. If you've seen other games' ranking systems with different tiers (Prime example: League of Legends ranked play), H5G's ranking system will be reminiscent.

The aim that 343 and Menke are trying to achieve with these changes are to further display the skill gap differences between players. The key example is called into play by Menke, who states that Halo's 1-50 was good but there were still massive skill differences between players at rank 50, etc.

Divisions + Tiers

In Halo 5: Guardians, there will be 7 different divisions. Of those divisions, the first 5 (From trash to best lowest to highest) will feature 3 divisions. Menke describes their names as being similar to the 'standard' for gaming. We can expect it to generally be called something like 'Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx' if following off the Halo: Reach arena ranking system, or perhaps Bronze Silver Gold Diamond Platinum, based off of other games out there. 

Leagues-breakdown.jpg

League of Legends' ranking system in comparison. Note that in my explanation for Halo 5 Guardians, Divisions and Tier are the exact opposite of the way they are displayed in the image above.

Tiers will generally be designed to segregate players even more. For example, A player might be in the Silver division, but he or she could be in 'Silver 2' which shows that they are generally worse than players who are in 'Silver 1'.

If you are in these 5 divisions, you will have a progress bar showing exactly how many more 'points' per say, you will need before you rank up. (or rank down :( ) How many points you get at the end of the match is dependent on your placement and your opponents skill. So if you are a silver player and you lose against gold players, you will probably lose less points than if you lose to bronze players. Similarly, winning against a gold player will net you more points than winning against bronze players. 

Wins = more points.

Loss = less points.

Pro and Semi-Pro

And then we have the remaining two divisions. If you manage to get into these divisions - you will not be dropping out. The game recognizes your skill level and at this point makes the assumption that if you lose, you probably just had a really bad game or handed your controller to someone.

gamescom-2014-halo-5-guardians-multiplay

At this point, you are essentially comparable to being a 50 in the 1-50 system. You will now to facing off against the other players who are 50 to see who gets into the worldwide top 200 - the Pro division. To do this, you will have a 'grade' for your match; a 'skill score' that will generally be within the range of 1500 to 3000. From what I  assume, your average skill score will give you your rank in the leaderboard; and the 200 players with the highest skill score form the Pro division. 

Players in Semi-Pro and Pro will still play with players from other divisions. You will get to view the top 200 players in the world and compare stats.

Seasons

Yes, you read right. The ranking system will be in seasons; thus, the game's ranks will reset within a set time period. Your 'highest rank reached' will most probably be displayed somewhere but your current rank shall be reset for various advantageous reasons.

post-65563-0-73768700-1416152243_thumb.png

Playlists?

The ranking system is per-playlist. Which is apt, since your skill in Team Slayer could vary compared to Team Objective, or FFA, or Big Team Battle, or... you get the gist of it. 

Sounds sweet! But what about the people who just play one match for the good stats?

Quite simply, you have to play a certain amount of games for the system to place you into a division.

____

TL;DR?

Halo 5 Guardians' ranking system:

- Is called CSR

- But functions nothing like the one in Halo 4

- Resets alongside seasons

- Will have 7 divisions

- 5 of which have 3 tiers

- The other two of which are for the elite.

- If you get into the 6th division or above you can't drop out of it for the season.

- In the first 5 divisions, winning gives you more points and losing drops your points. Get enough points and you reach a higher division/tier.

- Once in the 6th division, you will instead be fighting not for points but for a highest 'grade' stat from doing well in matches.

-Top 200 highest graded players get into the 7th division.

- It is on a per-playlist basis. We dunno which playlists though. 

- And our first look at it comes with the Halo 5 Guardians multiplayer beta!

Sources: 

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-ranks-breakdown/

https://twitter.com/joshua_menke

So. Who else is looking forwards to such a ranking system? Thoughts? Likes and dislikes? Suggestions?

Edited by Cerulean
  • Like 4

So..This is a starcraft ranking system?

This is the exact same as Starcraft, which is considered the best ranking system.

Hopefully it works just as well.

That is because the person who designed the Starcraft ranking system is ALSO working at 343i designing this one. (Not sure why JL used LoL but it helps explain)

I'm actually extremely hyped for this and will no doubt do my best to make it to at least Semi-Pro. 

he's the guy who designed the ranking system Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Whelp, CoD = Bad so This game are bad. 343 is disgustingz and not know how to make game. Not exactly 1-50 Ranking sistem = Bad. 343 is borken pls fix. I want Bungie back.

No I actually like all of this, Good Report right there smile.png

Whelp, CoD = Bad so This game are bad. 343 is disgustingz and not know how to make game. Not exactly 1-50 Ranking sistem = Bad. 343 is borken pls fix. I want Bungie back.

No I actually like all of this, Good Report right there smile.png

I know you're kidding but Advanced Warfare is actually pretty good

• 11 months later...