Halo 4. What do we ACTUALLY need?

Bubonic Blood

Okay so if you guys haven't noticed, ALOT of people converted back to halo 3 after the release of Reach. Before the release of reach however there were alot of complaints on things that people hated about halo 3, like.....the idea you can hit and kill someone with a melee after their shields are down just halfway......you wanted bloom..enable to separate the "noobs" from the supposed "pros"......and you wanted abilities, like jetpack, or armorlock, or even invisibility as examples. Each time after though, you complained alot more about the wishes you were granted, and in the end, lot of the community resorted back to the more classic halo ways of halo 3.

I'm pointing out that for one, alot of you want the whole "shoot-beatdown" thing back now. Alot of you don't want bloom anymore. And alot of you don't want AAs. Making it closer to Halo 3 and the other halo games before it.

I'm here to say that, you don't know what you want it seems. Bungie, when making reach, listened to the community alot more than they did with the previous halos, and in return, the community is leaving to play it's predecessors. The community seems to be wanting Halo to play more like old times. Does the Halo community actually know what it really wants? I mean it seems the more leash you give a dog, the more it pulls you.

I'm here to ask, what do you actually think Halo 4 needs? I mean, just because you want it to be a sandbox game, doesn't mean it will turn out so great, there are plenty of sandbox games that haven't even got near a tenth of what halo 1-2-3 has brung in. It seems the Halo community always wants more, like a black hole. I would like to ask you today, what do you think the halo 4 actually needs?

bloom is a good thing in my opinion, it suited reach and probably reach alone, they should make 4 like 3, with better graphics and a new menu layout + more features e.g firefight/updated forge, and with commendations/armory like reaches, but make the commendations not so ridiculous and make the armory better

OR

they could make halo 4 like reach, not completely the same, some things the same as 3, some like reach, no bloom(h3), 2 hit beat down kills(reach) and some game mechanics from reach, in my opinion the no bloom on a dmr is ****

Okay so if you guys haven't noticed, ALOT of people converted back to halo 3 after the release of Reach. Before the release of reach however there were alot of complaints on things that people hated about halo 3, like.....the idea you can hit and kill someone with a melee after their shields are down just halfway......you wanted bloom..enable to separate the "noobs" from the supposed "pros"......and you wanted abilities, like jetpack, or armorlock, or even invisibility as examples. Each time after though, you complained alot more about the wishes you were granted, and in the end, lot of the community resorted back to the more classic halo ways of halo 3.

I'm pointing out that for one, alot of you want the whole "shoot-beatdown" thing back now. Alot of you don't want bloom anymore. And alot of you don't want AAs. Making it closer to Halo 3 and the other halo games before it.

I'm here to say that, you don't know what you want it seems. Bungie, when making reach, listened to the community alot more than they did with the previous halos, and in return, the community is leaving to play it's predecessors. The community seems to be wanting Halo to play more like old times. Does the Halo community actually know what it really wants? I mean it seems the more leash you give a dog, the more it pulls you.

I'm here to ask, what do you actually think Halo 4 needs? I mean, just because you want it to be a sandbox game, doesn't mean it will turn out so great, there are plenty of sandbox games that haven't even got near a tenth of what halo 1-2-3 has brung in. It seems the Halo community always wants more, like a black hole. I would like to ask you today, what do you think the halo 4 actually needs?

People like you piss me off. Why? Because you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Who wanted jetpacks, bloom and all this other crap? Oh, the community? Right, you speak for the whole community, don't ya? If you were actually active on B.net, or knew what you were talking about you'd realize how dumb you sound right now. I don't mean to be mean, but please get your facts right. Let's search B.net, shall we?

Who wants jetpacks, guys?!

http://www.bungie.ne...ter1-p=1#457996

http://www.bungie.ne...er1-p=1#2536099

http://www.bungie.ne...er1-p=1#4574214

http://www.bungie.ne...er1-p=1#7417014

http://www.bungie.ne...er1-p=1#7031040

There's actually very few threads on B.net that put forth the notion of jetpacks being in Halo, and those that do are filled with people saying "NO!" with a few exceptions, but that's always expected. The majority never wanted jetpacks in Halo. Doesn't stop crazy 12 year old kids from making a thread about jetpacks though...

Now, let's look for bloom.

Nope. No threads came up in my searches outside of the Reach forum. Didn't seem like anybody wanted bloom.

Complaints about melee?

A few in the Halo 3 forum, but nothing really relevant. No one suggested the silly mechanic we now have. The only complaints I've found are a ) the huge lunge and b ) the fact that the player who has the most health, regardless of who smacked first, wins (Halo 3).

Now, if we're talking about the Reach forum... well, before players played the damn game some of the ideas sounded good to some people (on paper, ideas always sound better than when they're executed), but at the same time there was a lot of hate for them before the game or beta even came out. I know I was against bloom and AAs right from the start. Even with the people that liked the ideas, they didn't suggest 'em. It was all Bungie's doing. Like I've pointed out, the majority of players were against jetpacks from Halo 2 all the way to Halo 3 (at least, the people on the forums). There were threads discussing the idea, and the resolution was: NO! Yet, Bungie decided it was a good idea to put 'em into Reach. Yup! Bungie really listened to the community, didn't they? Hm.... Anyway, back to ideas sounding good on paper, but not when they're executed. And this is completely true. Once players got a taste of what the ideas were really like a lot of people changed their opinions.

Bloom, for instance. On paper it was a system that separated the good players from the bad. In reality it just added randomness and gave the bad players a chance against the good. It didn't do what it advertised. A lot of people hated it, and other ideas Reach brought forth, thus they went back to Halo 3. It's not that they asked for 'em and decided they didn't like it, it's that Bungie just gave it to us (even though there was strong protest against certain features *cough* *cough* armour lock *cough*). They don't 'listen' to the community as much as you make out. As they say, they make the games that they wanna play.

I have no idea what Halo 4 needs, but I know what I want it to be like. Halo 2.

Oh, last thing. Majority of the time when you ask someone, "what would you like the next game in the series to be like?" they'll say, "like the previous games, but better!" Not, "change practically everything we loved!" Only a few outliers say that... so yea, Bungie did good on listening to the community... if the outliers count as part of the community...

People like you piss me off. Why? Because you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Who wanted jetpacks, bloom and all this other crap? Oh, the community? Right, you speak for the whole community, don't ya? If you were actually active on B.net, or knew what you were talking about you'd realize how dumb you sound right now. I don't mean to be mean, but please get your facts right. Let's search B.net, shall we?

There's actually very few threads on B.net that put forth the notion of jetpacks being in Halo, and those that do are filled with people saying "NO!" with a few exceptions, but that's always expected. The majority never wanted jetpacks in Halo. Doesn't stop crazy 12 year old kids from making a thread about jetpacks though...

Nope. No threads came up in my searches outside of the Reach forum. Didn't seem like anybody wanted bloom.

Complaints about melee?

A few in the Halo 3 forum, but nothing really relevant. No one suggested the silly mechanic we now have. The only complaints I've found are a ) the huge lunge and b ) the fact that the player who has the most health, regardless of who smacked first, wins (Halo 3).

Now, if we're talking about the Reach forum... well, before players played the damn game some of the ideas sounded good to some people (on paper, ideas always sound better than when they're executed), but at the same time there was a lot of hate for them before the game or beta even came out. I know I was against bloom and AAs right from the start. Even with the people that liked the ideas, they didn't suggest 'em. It was all Bungie's doing. Like I've pointed out, the majority of players were against jetpacks from Halo 2 all the way to Halo 3 (at least, the people on the forums). There were threads discussing the idea, and the resolution was: NO! Yet, Bungie decided it was a good idea to put 'em into Reach. Yup! Bungie really listened to the community, didn't they? Hm.... Anyway, back to ideas sounding good on paper, but not when they're executed. And this is completely true. Once players got a taste of what the ideas were really like a lot of people changed their opinions.

Bloom, for instance. On paper it was a system that separated the good players from the bad. In reality it just added randomness and gave the bad players a chance against the good. It didn't do what it advertised. A lot of people hated it, and other ideas Reach brought forth, thus they went back to Halo 3. It's not that they asked for 'em and decided they didn't like it, it's that Bungie just gave it to us (even though there was strong protest against certain features *cough* *cough* armour lock *cough*). They don't 'listen' to the community as much as you make out. As they say, they make the games that they wanna play.

Oh, last thing. Majority of the time when you ask someone, "what would you like the next game in the series to be like?" they'll say, "like the previous games, but better!" Not, "change practically everything we loved!" Only a few outliers say that... so yea, Bungie did good on listening to the community... if the outliers count as part of the community...

It humors me that you say that, considering that it seems that it is YOU who doesn't know what you are talking about. I AM active on B.net. And unlike you, I probably pay more attention to what goes on there more than 3 times every 2 months. People like you make me want to gag. Acting like you know anything at all about the community. YOU need to pay more attention. You know why I KNOW people wanted jetpacks, and bloom, and AA's in general? The beta ********. When people got a hint of the beta, they wanted all those abilities but to be fixed, and that is what bungie did. Now how about you use the little bit of knowledge you have and go jump off a bridge. Try to hit some rocks.

PS. When searching for rants about armor abilities and bloom etc, be sure not to just use "bloom, aa's" in the search bar. Try using some more common sense. If you actually know about the community at all, you'd know that there is probably more than 18 threads a day on halo reach forum at b.net, ranting about AA's and bloom. Up untill about 5 months ago. Go kill yourself. You failure.

As long as there's Halo games people will just say the last one was better

Halo:CE>Halo2>Halo3>Halo:Reach (didn't include ODST it seemed people only had a problem with the price lol)

the same things probably going to happen when halo 4 comes out

In my opinion it's the exact opposite

but i guess im the only one that's likes when games change it up a bit when sequels come out

• Like 1

As long as there's Halo games people will just say the last one was better

Halo:CE>Halo2>Halo3>Halo:Reach (didn't include ODST it seemed people only had a problem with the price lol)

the same things probably going to happen when halo 4 comes out

In my opinion it's the exact opposite

but i guess im the only one that's likes when games change it up a bit when sequels come out

Wow, lol you're right! I just noticed that! It's like everyone wants the games to be like their predecessors.

I don't know who you are talking to, but it certainly isn't me. I am with you completely on wanting the game to get back to it's roots though, that is a fact.

• Like 1

It humors me that you say that, considering that it seems that it is YOU who doesn't know what you are talking about. I AM active on B.net. And unlike you, I probably pay more attention to what goes on there more than 3 times every 2 months. People like you make me want to gag. Acting like you know anything at all about the community. YOU need to pay more attention. You know why I KNOW people wanted jetpacks, and bloom, and AA's in general? The beta ********. When people got a hint of the beta, they wanted all those abilities but to be fixed, and that is what bungie did. Now how about you use the little bit of knowledge you have and go jump off a bridge. Try to hit some rocks.

PS. When searching for rants about armor abilities and bloom etc, be sure not to just use "bloom, aa's" in the search bar. Try using some more common sense. If you actually know about the community at all, you'd know that there is probably more than 18 threads a day on halo reach forum at b.net, ranting about AA's and bloom. Up untill about 5 months ago. Go kill yourself. You failure.

Kid, I've got over 9,000 posts on B.net. Post your B.net handle before you start spewing insults at me.

Like I've said before, people have always complained about bloom and AAs right from the start, but it was less vicious than it is now as no one had actually played the game back then. When the beta rolled out people got a taste of the changes, and some people got a reinforced opinion that these changes were bad. They were still hesitant as everyone was relying on the crutch "it's just a beta!" Now, when the game finally shipped and nothing much had changed since the beta did people really get flaming. Point is, people have always complained. It was only a set minority who were happy with the radical changes. These two threads introduce the ideas of sprint and jetpack to the 'Reach' community. These threads were posted before the beta too... the consensus was "no".

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=38060089

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=34817490&postRepeater1-p=1

And this AL hate thread is older than 5 months.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=50642241&postRepeater1-p=1

And again, like I said before. Ideas sounded good to some when they were on paper, and maybe they still sounded good when they got to play with them for a while. It's only when you've lived with 'em for a long time do all the flaws really become apparent. That's why there appears to be a lot more hate now then before.

My main point is though, Bungie didn't listen to the community. Bungie gave the community something and that was it (Reach started development after Halo 3. The community didn't really have a say as to what goes in and what goes out). Bungie tweaked their ideas as they saw fit based on data they received from players, but they didn't listen to the community. If they did we wouldn't have jetpacks in arena. Hell, we wouldn't have bloom or AAs in a couple of playlists. Anyway, I'm done with talking to you. I think you've failed to comprehend my first post, so why would another help.

Couldn't agree more with most of everything you posted up Bubonic. Good to see we still have the same standpoint. One thing that does bothe rme, is how quick people are to point to B-Net when they referrence the "community". The community of Halo players has thousands of outlets. Bungie is just simply one of them. Cheesey, if you are properly going to try to correct a truth that Bubonic provided, then you first need to look at a broad majority of all the Halo sites and their content. I've seen Bubonic around for a while, always glad to help and give proper truth feedback. Don't bash him cause you don't agree. Be a little mature than that.

As for how people describe their wants.....it lacks. Bubonic, and a few others from what I have seen, are the only ones who put enough thought and explanation into what a game needs. most of what I see is simple stuff like, "just because" or "it'll make it better". Before adding silly suggestions, you need to have a good idea of what is broken exactly, why it is broken and how you can simply fix it without too much programming overhead.

That aside, I don't really care to add anything outside what the developer already has in mind. If 343 was really that hard up for ideas or ways to improve the game, don't you think they would come out and ask for it? I'm fine with whatever they decided to do. I will adapt and move forward as I always have. But if I did have to request one thing for Halo 4.....it would be no remake maps and 100% raw brand spanking new map layouts and terrain. No regarbled crap from previous titles.

Couldn't agree more with most of everything you posted up Bubonic. Good to see we still have the same standpoint. One thing that does bothe rme, is how quick people are to point to B-Net when they referrence the "community". The community of Halo players has thousands of outlets. Bungie is just simply one of them. Cheesey, if you are properly going to try to correct a truth that Bubonic provided, then you first need to look at a broad majority of all the Halo sites and their content. I've seen Bubonic around for a while, always glad to help and give proper truth feedback. Don't bash him cause you don't agree. Be a little mature than that.

As for how people describe their wants.....it lacks. Bubonic, and a few others from what I have seen, are the only ones who put enough thought and explanation into what a game needs. most of what I see is simple stuff like, "just because" or "it'll make it better". Before adding silly suggestions, you need to have a good idea of what is broken exactly, why it is broken and how you can simply fix it without too much programming overhead.

That aside, I don't really care to add anything outside what the developer already has in mind. If 343 was really that hard up for ideas or ways to improve the game, don't you think they would come out and ask for it? I'm fine with whatever they decided to do. I will adapt and move forward as I always have. But if I did have to request one thing for Halo 4.....it would be no remake maps and 100% raw brand spanking new map layouts and terrain. No regarbled crap from previous titles.

Ah, Thankyou friend. I do agree.

Halo 4 Forge

I have to say to definitively keep forge in with a similar style to reach, but you have to get more tools for it.

I had the idea of gravity panels, but then thought, make it so you can label it as a gravity panel so it can be practically anything you can walk on. As to say you can walk straight and then jump up n a ceiling and have it switch to your specific orientation to be on that floor but anyone else to be normal until they hit the same object.

Also you got to have panels that can move when stepped on like an elevator, treadmill, or escalator that will move to an assigned object or height.

I also think you should make weapon lockers that can be loaded with weapons instead of just being decoration. Another I could think of is Light tools, Label an object as lighted to create a lit room in a dark place so we don't have those fake looking maps that have shadows or light when they're shouldn't be.

I also got to say we need some snapping options for those forgers who can't seem to get they're seems right, need to be so you can turn snapping on and have one object snap to the edge or center of another object.

I'll post more of my ideas as I go along, but one post per subject for now

• Like 1

Halo 4 Forge

I have to say to definitively keep forge in with a similar style to reach, but you have to get more tools for it.

I had the idea of gravity panels, but then thought, make it so you can label it as a gravity panel so it can be practically anything you can walk on. As to say you can walk straight and then jump up n a ceiling and have it switch to your specific orientation to be on that floor but anyone else to be normal until they hit the same object.

Also you got to have panels that can move when stepped on like an elevator, treadmill, or escalator that will move to an assigned object or height.

I also think you should make weapon lockers that can be loaded with weapons instead of just being decoration. Another I could think of is Light tools, Label an object as lighted to create a lit room in a dark place so we don't have those fake looking maps that have shadows or light when they're shouldn't be.

I also got to say we need some snapping options for those forgers who can't seem to get they're seems right, need to be so you can turn snapping on and have one object snap to the edge or center of another object.

I'll post more of my ideas as I go along, but one post per subject for now

Nice idea mate. Snapping like in Garry's Mod?

• 1 month later...

I don't exactly know everything wrong with multiplayer but I think the point should be made (again?) that the game is from the perspective of a Spartan III not a Spartan II. All of these abilities can possibly be attributed simply to the relative inexpensiveness of the Spartan III's and their need to operate in teams. The melee, the sprint, the jetpack, and of course the idea of the recharge time and bloom seem to be due to the inherent weaknesses of the (sub Spartan III) level of ability and innately related training. They are a fighting force that makes up for weaknesses in power and badassness with strength in numbers and downright freshness. Hopefully in Halo 4 this difference will be noted and accounted for i.e. melee, speed and jumping, armor abilities being pick up based if seen at all, and bloom being a something of a flight of fancy for the likes of Linda.

There were things seen in the trailer that I would like to see in the campaign but not necessarily in multiplayer, at least how they are now. I like that halo is unlike so many other games (the idea of killstreaks strikes me as an absurdity in halo) and I my first impression of Spartan II's was more of a spec ops group that outfit for specific missions and didn't have every utility at their disposal.

Maybe make aa's level or game type specifc, for offline multiplayer you have to admit they're a good idea, and online I feel that a squad of Spartan II's makes up for a lack of special abilities. I kinda miss when they wore off and you had to find them again.

I love it every time someone claims that Spartan-IIIs make sense with bloom because they're not as good as Spartan-IIs. It's therefore logical to state that they are less effective than ODSTs, too.

Anyway.

You know what would work much better than Bloom in terms of forcing players to use short bursts and pacing shots? Recoil. If you haven't done so already, go and pick up an SMG in Halo 3 and start firing. You'll notice that after about a second of continuous fire, your aim starts to climb upwards. As long as you burst fire your aim stays perfect, and all you need is a single moment of not holding down the trigger in order to reset the timer on aim climb. Even then, a good player is capable of using their view stick to manually keep on target, although the chances are that they'll still be slightly less accurate.

Stay in Halo 3, go and pick up the Sniper Rifle. Aim it at a far-off point on a wall, and make sure you know exactly where it is (the concrete walls of The Pit, with their coloured lines, work well for this). Notice how after you fire, your crosshair is now aimed slightly higher than before. Why not just use this system for all non-automatic weapons in Halo 4? Now you have to think about how fast you fire because you'll need to correct your aim after each shot, but whether or not you hit depends on your skill as a marksman, not on the randomness that comes into whereabouts the game thinks your shot should land in an oversized reticule, which leads to an element of luck in all encounters.

It's more predictable than the randomness of Bloom, and it's possible to learn how much you need to correct your aim by after each shot/how long you can burst-fire for until your crosshair starts to climb. The 'Pro' players can take advantage of this, the 'n00b' players either get better or spend a lot of time waiting to respawn, and the outcome isn't down to luck. Better player wins, loser dies, Halo is a fair competition determined only by skill once more.

Also, fix the 'Nades. They should explode a half second after they touch a surface like in Halo 3 and Halo 2, not the system in Reach, when they stop moving like the Holy Hand Grenade in Worms. At the minute, it feels far too random where they end up detonating.

Complaints about melee?

are youy the delelted anonymous user on bungie.net?

I like your idea about climb especially that it should only happen with semi-automatic weapons. Recoil from sustained fire seems like something to be expected.

About my idealized Halo universe, I'm not saying that every game involving the series was or should have been incredibly realistic but people tend to complain about the things that they think shouldn't happen, usually based on their perceptions of reality. Like you're saying the game should be based on skill... and have some fun and odd elements... and be realistic to a degree... and get rid of the noobs

Too bad (in a way) multiplayer is such a main focus now speaking of campaign wouldn't a really long one be awesome? I know that's unfair to ask for but think of the splendorous splendors. It's like the only way to do both now is making the maps the same campaign maps. So sad