Why am I a failure?

sooch

Im playing the Halo CE on Halo: The Master Chief Collection on heroic. I get to "the belly of the beast" and am overwhelmed by the stealth elites. I remember having to kill 1 stealth elite after going up in the grav lift, now in the new version I have to kill 4?! I cant do it... please tell me how.

In my humble, campaign playing experience I find that the assault rifle is generally the best way to deal with the invisibles. When you get them to the point where you can see them, you can melee them for the kill. You have to time it well on Heroic and Legendary as they will try to beat you to the punch (pun intended).

Plasma rifles work really well, too. Well placed grenades will help immensely as well. Unless you are pretty good with the sniper rifle, you should keep it as your secondary.

• Like 3

Also keep in mind that the swords of the elites are also visible. (In old graphics from what I remember) This will make them easier to spot, and the sword is quite dangerous. If you lost all your sniper ammo during the storm up to the ship, I recommend having a shotgun or magnum on you, either one works wonders... Especially the Magnum.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, a single shotgun blast or two will kill them. Try to get close, but not too much, and if you see one, take the shot and back away to regain your health.

Also, you could try an automatic weapon to take their shields away and then take the headshot with a gun that can.

Hope this helps, and if at first you don't succeed, bring more fire power!!  :P  :P

Sooch - There's one Stealth Elite on Legendary. On Heroic there are four. On Legendary, there is only one because the other 3 are replaced by...4-6 Zealots. Director's right, kill the Stealth Elites with the Assault Rifle.

Dumb Marine - They're visible in new graphics too, the sword just doesn't stand out as much. Watch like a hawk though, and you don't even need to switch to old graphics to do it. I kinda trained my eyes to spot the swords in new graphics just because I like the new graphics so much, lol. They're worth the extra effort, to me anyway.

Arbiter and Dumb Marine - Wot? Shotgun? Magnum? There's no shotgun or magnum on that level! :P On top of that, Stealth Elites have no shields until Halo 2, and even then their shields are comparatively weak. In CE, just spot them and spray them.

Wait what level is it? I had a Pistol on every level...

That's impossible. Truth and Reconciliation doesn't have a pistol on it. Only weapons available there are Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, and Needler.

If you don't remember, it's the mission where you board the Covenant ship, before the Flood have been introduced.

I do finish the level with more than a clip to spare, on average. There are ammo pickups all around the level. But by the time you get on the ship, usually you've used up your "above the usual max" ammo supply and are down to 24, even if you scored a hit every time you fired the weapon. And you can fire on the stealth Elites when you're on board, but since you can't see their heads, you're better off AR-ing them and using the sniper rifle on the Zealots instead.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way is to just throw a plasma grenade when you hear the beep and see the door light up.  They seem to have the perfect timing with when the doors actually open --or wait a tinge longer and throw a frag.  Then just mop up with your sniper/AR/plasma pistol.  Oh, and I should mention that the plasma pistol is probably the most underrated gun in all of the campaign.  Not only can it take down full shields charged, but you can spam it as fast as your trigger finger can pull.  Paired with a pistol, and this is the only combo you'll need for 90% of covenant encounters.

That being said, I hope you hung onto the sniper for the whole level, because taking on hunters at the end is more of a pain in the ass without 1-hit-kill weapons.  Just bait them to charge and raise their shields, then shoot them straight in the gut.

The easiest way is to just throw a plasma grenade when you hear the beep and see the door light up.  They seem to have the perfect timing with when the doors actually open --or wait a tinge longer and throw a frag.  Then just mop up with your sniper/AR/plasma pistol.  Oh, and I should mention that the plasma pistol is probably the most underrated gun in all of the campaign.  Not only can it take down full shields charged, but you can spam it as fast as your trigger finger can pull.  Paired with a pistol, and this is the only combo you'll need for 90% of covenant encounters.

That being said, I hope you hung onto the sniper for the whole level, because taking on hunters at the end is more of a pain in the *** without 1-hit-kill weapons.  Just bait them to charge and raise their shields, then shoot them straight in the gut.

Also, if you want cover, you can clear a door with a grenade, then actually go into it. The doors will not open from the outside, but they will open from the inside, meaning you can do this and not be trapped.

Oh, and for the Hunters, there's an even easier way than shooting them in the gut. Let them complete their melee swing, but sidestep it. They will be briefly stunned by the shock of their arm hitting the ground, allowing you to get them in the back while they're completely stationary for a second.

• 4 weeks later...