Are the precursors the flood? Are they immortal or mortal?

Mango88

1. Are the precursors the flood

2. Are they mortal or immortal

3. If they are mortal do they use Slipspace and pods to surive the halo array?

Please help thanks :)

“We meet again, young one. I am the last of those that gave you breath and shape and form, millions of years ago. I am the last of those your kind rose up against and ruthlessly destroyed. I am the last Precursor. And our answer is at hand.”

— The Primordial addressing the Ur-Didact upon their meeting.

When the grave mind says destroy what is he implying?

1. Yes and no. The Precursors are NOT the flood but the Flood COME from the Precursors. 

2. They can be killed so they're mortal.

3. No. The Halo Array not only killed all living things, but also killed all Neural Physics structures. The Precursors civilization is based on Neural Physics and since the firing of the Halo Array all Neural Physics structures in the milky way have been destroyed

When the Gravemind says destroyed he is referencing an event when the Forerunners destroyed a large cluster of Precursors in a Nebula located not far out of the Milky Way. During that event some Precursors fled and turned themselves into powder in hopes of being recreated and enacting revenge. However their plan backfired and those powder Precursors would eventually become the Flood. 

• Like 2

1. Yes and no. The Precursors are NOT the flood but the Flood COME from the Precursors. 

3. No. The Halo Array not only killed all living things, but also killed all Neural Physics structures. The Precursors civilization is based on Neural Physics and since the firing of the Halo Array all Neural Physics structures in the milky way have been destroyed

When the Gravemind says destroyed he is referencing an event when the Forerunners destroyed a large cluster of Precursors in a Nebula located not far out of the Milky Way. During that event some Precursors fled and turned themselves into powder in hopes of being recreated and enacting revenge. However their plan backfired and those powder Precursors would eventually become the Flood. 

I never knew that! heh, learn something new everyday. I always thought the flood was just some random thing that happened to be in the universe. Never knew they used to be someone lol.

Ahh here it is, it's about 2 different events 1.with the primordial and ISO-didact who kills him

2.And one with the grave mind and ur-didact and apparently the consciousness of the primordial remembers what ISO-didact did to him so he unleashes his anger on ur-didact in the form of grave mind. Is this true?

Below is what I found on halopedia

"It is your task to kill this servant. That another may be freed."

—The Primordial speaking to the Didact.

After reclaiming Installation 07, the IsoDidact imprisoned the Primordial within a reverse-stasis chamber, and alongside the wounded Chakas, interrogated the entity. During the course of their conversation, they came to realize that the Primordial was not what they initially thought it was. Even as it was being broken down by the reversed stasis chamber, the Primordial claimed that the Flood and the Precursors were synonymous, though despite the Didact's queries, it did not disclose the precise nature of their relationship. The Primordial provided further clarification on the subject of the Mantle, the purpose of the Flood, and the role of the humans in its ancient plan: the Forerunners were never meant to inherit the Mantle, and that humanity would succeed them in order to be tested for inheriting the Mantle.[4]

It also implied that there is no true cure for the Flood, but that it could choose whether or not a victim was infected. Once this conversation was complete, the Didact, enraged about the revelation, fully activated the reverse stasis chamber, forcing an artificial decay process equivalent to a billion years to transpire over the course of several seconds, killing the Primordial, and breaking its body down to a state of complete physical entropy.[21]

However, as later demonstrated during the Ur-Didact's encounter with the Gravemind, the Primordial's consciousness had survived the destruction of its physical body, having transferred itself into the Flood's compound mind completely intact. Intent on exacting its vengeance on the Didact in its new form, the Primordial inflicted unspeakable horrors upon the Promethean before releasing him and allowing him to return to the ecumene, aware that the Didact's resulting madness would demoralize the Forerunners and engender chaos and indecision among their ranks.[11]

Other than that in your response on question 3 in which you state the precursors could not protect themselves from the halo array cause it messes with neural physics read this straight from halo.wikia : The Sharpened Shield was constructed by the Forerunners to protect themselves from the firing of the Halo Array, which are designed to eradicate all sentient life should the Flood escape. (If they needed to be shielded to surive then I'm going with mortal)

And the pods they find Making the occupant there but also somewhere else, making him/her/"it" virtually invulnerable to any outside force. And last but not least the planet's core, where they discover a Slipspace rift that transports those who pass through it, into a miniaturized Dyson Sphere that is separated from normal space-time by advanced Forerunner Slipspace technology. Entrance to the Slipspace bubble is in countdown, after being activated by the destruction on Halo installation 04. Once the countdown is completed the entrance to the Dyson Sphere will be closed, with no means to reopen it

The post from sharpened shield is from ghosts of onyx by the way. Released by Eric Nylund whom frank o'connor gave the halo bible too, when bungie was in control.

Also something cool to consider is would if Hal Lindsay in ghosts of onyx in deciphering the shield world as forerunner technology was actually precursor.....

I don't think it's that far of a stretch, even in contact harvest Mendicant Bias, suddenly awakens from eons of dormancy and reveals that they've been misinterpreting their findings. What the Kig-Yar thought were artifacts(of. Forerunners) were actually registering the presence of the Humans on Harvest, which it claims are Reclaimers, and refers to them as HIS MAKERS!.mmendicant bias calls humans his makers as well as reclaimers...

Halo first strike by Eric Nylund says Fred discovers several symbols which, upon fred touching one with his bare, bleeding finger, ultimately opens a huge tunnel that leads into an even larger room. In the center of the room, they find a crystal. The crystal can warp space, gravity, and even time.

And 343 guilty spark saying to john "you are forerunner"....

Idk.... I Definitely think precursors exist, but what if humans used to be "precursors". And that is what makes them "reclaimers" because they lost something they always were. In fact think about all the human civilization in the beggining when they started before the halo vs covenant war. Where did the flood start? It started with humans.... (Frank o'connor says there is goanna be a big twist and this would for sure throw people for a loop)

A big clue is in onyx tho. If what Hal Lindsay found is what she believes to be forerunner technology that effectively protectects the "forerunners" from the "halo array" and the "forerunners have that "technology" and your telling me the precursors can't protect themselves from the halo array cause of neural physics.... Seems like the "forerunners are more advanced than the "precursors"....

You feeling me?

This is really interesting, I should really look into Halo lore more often. Thanks again Loremaster Bnus ^_^

Nicely put, also someone who read the books told me that the didact put a precursor in a chamber for millions of years and effectively killed him. I don't remember anything on halo.wikia mentioning such a thing, is the information he said about the didact killing a precursor true?

Ur-Didact and Chakas (ancient human) used Reverse Timelock on The Primordial which aged it by millions of years, which saw it crumble as it decayed away.

• Like 1

Also regarding the grave mind talking about the whole dispute about forerunners and precursors and precursors turning themselves into "dust to recreate themselves to reanact revenge" ... Could it be the grave mind is trying to put the blame on something that is not the source?

Frank o'connor in an interview says the grave mind is psychic.

Which is true, he can use ANY INFORMATION in his collective conscious to say whatever he wants(whatever becomes infected), it doesn't mean what he chooses to say is true though.

Grave mind spoken in Halo 3 also seem to reinforce the connection between humans and Forerunners, for example: Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness for the father's sins passed on to his son.

There seems to be a hatred toward MASTERCHEIF(humans) from grave mind. Could it be a hatred toward precursors as well? That would justify grave mind's actions on setting precursors up to be the "bad guys" or the "source of calamity" and even himself on being the sad result of the precursors mistakes when in fact the source of the flood could be something totally different. In fact if he has an enemy it would be to set the world,covenant,brutes,elites, and anything that can become infected up to hate the supposed "precursors". Grave mind has a motive and it's separation possibly.