Sprinting in Halo 5 = no purchase

akumu

Wether you like sprint or not, it's no reason to completely discard the game :/

Then again, why wouldn't your spartan be able to sprint?! Hes a supersoldier for crying out loud!

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, sure it might be a bad idea or might not work. But it's still an idea and should discussed in a proper manner, instead of just shooting down the idea straight away, despite how odd the idea is.  

But don't get the wrong idea, I respectfully disagree with the idea that sprint should be removed from H5. I liked it in H4.

I'm just glad that it isn't an armour ability anymore lol. 

• Like 1

Sprint is a great mechanic, and the fact that it's a built in thing, not an armor ability anymore is awesome.

I mean, I really like it when my super soldier spartan can actually run instead of always fast walking.

While I'm not saying that 343i keeping sprint will fix Halo 5, but it is definitely the right choice.

And for those who think that they should revert to "old school, outdated" Halo, you realise that you can simply ask for a sprint free playlist, instead of just pointlessly whining about how Halo 5 should be sprint free.

Thank you for sharing your opinion though, it was fun shooting it down. ^_^

• Like 1

"No core halo fan wants sprinting in Halo" So now you speak on behalf or the ENTIRE community? No you don't. You don't know what every Halo fan wants. I've been playing Halo my whole life, and I am completely fine with sprint. Complaining and not buying a game because of a small mechanic that you don't want in it is stupid. You fail to realize that other players out there actually like and want sprint to stay in.

Sprinting along with other "spartan abilities" don't belong in Halo.

Ever wondered why the sales and popularity declined after those flawed mechanics were introduced?

It upsets the flow of the unique gameplay that Halo had, it wasn't like every other game on the market.

Why do you think tons of people were excited to actually be able to play H2 online again? because it doesn't have all of those faulty mechanics that don't fit the gameplay.

Whether you like it or not, Sprinting along with other abilties, do not fit in Halo.

(and to the people saying that spartans should be able to run, they were always running.)

Sprinting along with other "spartan abilities" don't belong in Halo.

Ever wondered why the sales and popularity declined after those flawed mechanics were introduced?

It upsets the flow of the unique gameplay that Halo had, it wasn't like every other game on the market.

Why do you think tons of people were excited to actually be able to play H2 online again? because it doesn't have all of those faulty mechanics that don't fit the gameplay.

Whether you like it or not, Sprinting along with other abilties, do not fit in Halo.

(and to the people saying that spartans should be able to run, they were always running.)

I don't see any problem with sprint, in fact sprinting removes your shield generation, making it a more tactical choice and balancing gameplay at the same time.

The other abillities which they showed off are open for change, but do make the flow of the gameplay a lot faster and brings in a big chunk of arena type gameplay.

A lot of new mechanics were introduced with other Halo games as well, such as dual wielding, hijacking, AA, assassinations. 

Sprinting fits in Halo wether you like it or not.

I don't see any problem with sprint, in fact sprinting removes your shield generation, making it a more tactical choice and balancing gameplay at the same time.

The other abillities which they showed off are open for change, but do make the flow of the gameplay a lot faster and brings in a big chunk of arena type gameplay.

A lot of new mechanics were introduced with other Halo games as well, such as dual wielding, hijacking, AA, assassinations. 

Sprinting fits in Halo wether you like it or not.

because ground pound and shoulder charge totally make the game faster. The game was fast paced before sprinting was introduced.

AA were clearly a failure.

Dual wielding and hijacking have nothing to do with any form of fast paced gameplay (talking competitive here), and assassinations have always been in the game.

because ground pound and shoulder charge totally make the game faster. The game was fast paced before sprinting was introduced.

AA were clearly a failure.

Dual wielding and hijacking have nothing to do with any form of fast paced gameplay (talking competitive here), and assassinations have always been in the game.

Assassinations were introduced in Reach.

The comparison here is that hijacking and dual wielding may not have increased flow in gameplay, but are still among features people want or people expect from Halo.

We can't just have the same game over and over again.

Assassinations were introduced in Reach.

The comparison here is that hijacking and dual wielding may not have increased flow in gameplay, but are still among features people want or people expect from Halo.

We can't just have the same game over and over again.

I think he actually meant the back tap rather than the whole assassination cutscene. 

And I meant the whole takedown cutscenes.

which slows down gameplay considerably.

It would be fine if all of these things were in the game and you were able to turn them off, however the maps are designed to be played with such things making it impossible to play at a faster pace without them at this point.

Look at Reach and H4, all of the maps are vertically based in some way because the jetpack was in the game.  H5's maps look to be pretty good and the sprinting mechanic does seem more balanced, but all of those abilties are not needed. It would be fine if just sprint was there, but it isn't and thats the main problem as to why Halo games have been failing. 

You say we can't have the same game over and over, but yet  H1,2, and 3 were all essentially the same engine with slight tweaks and improvements. Reach added so much to the game that it broke how it played.

which slows down gameplay considerably.

Halo 4 is considerably faster than Halo 3. Even the game play from Halo 5 looks way faster than

It would be fine if all of these things were in the game and you were able to turn them off, however the maps are designed to be played with such things making it impossible to play at a faster pace without them at this point.

Look at Reach and H4, all of the maps are vertically based in some way because the jetpack was in the game. H5's maps look to be pretty good and the sprinting mechanic does seem more balanced, but all of those abilties are not needed. It would be fine if just sprint was there, but it isn't and thats the main problem as to why Halo games have been failing.

You say we can't have the same game over and over, but yet H1,2, and 3 were all essentially the same engine with slight tweaks and improvements. Reach added so much to the game that it broke how it played.

Halo 4 is a lot faster compared to Halo 3, I agree that Reach added too much, inbalancing the game in the progress.

Halo 5 looks faster than Halo 4 in terms of movement and reaction speed. None of the abilities seem to be unbalanced and they seem to be more focused on tactical balance. People are already complaining about ground pound yet, it keeps you still in the air for 1 to 2 seconds and you light up like a flare, making you an easy target.

Sprint does not recharge your shield.

Before you can charge or slide you need to reach maximum velocity and can do one of those, a wrong charge and you are open to attack, a wrong slide just the same.

Thrust adds faster movement options and more options to adapt to a situation.

clamber keeps you still on a ledge for a second again making you an easy target.

Stabilizer holds you still in the air.

and the smart scope has been in Halo far longer than some realize hey just added more weapons to the mix.

All these are based upon the concept of "On the right time at the right moment."

You say that the Halo games are failing yet the MCC boosted xbox one sales. Halo is gaining ground back which Bungie lost with Reach, one step at a time.

Edited by Coldfreeze

Halo 4 is a lot faster compared to Halo 3, I agree that Reach added too much, inbalancing the game in the progress.

Halo 5 looks faster than Halo 4 in terms of movement and reaction speed. None of the abilities seem to be unbalanced and they seem to be more focused on tactical balance. People are already complaining about ground pound yet, it keeps you still in the air for 1 to 2 seconds and you light up like a flare, making you an easy target.

Sprint does not recharge your shield.

Before you can charge or slide you need to reach maximum velocity and can do one of those, a wrong charge and you are open to attack, a wrong slide just the same.

Thrust adds faster movement options and more options to adapt to a situation.

clamber keeps you still on a ledge for a second again making you an easy target.

Stabilizer holds you still in the air.

and the smart scope has been in Halo far longer than some realize hey just added more weapons to the mix.

All these are based upon the concept of "On the right time at the right moment."

You say that the Halo games are failing yet the MCC boosted xbox one sales. Halo is gaining ground back which Bungie lost with Reach, one step at a time.

MCC boosted sales because people wanted to play Halo games online that didn't have all of the bull**** that Reach introduced.

If I wanted to play Destiny, I would play Destiny. People want to play Halo. What made Halo fun was that all you had was the trinity. Shoot, grenade, melee. You were limited in options and skill shined more on players who perfected these things.

• 2 weeks later...

I still marvel at things like this. So often people compare Halo to CoD and its unchanging gameplay. They get upset when Halo's gameplay gets changed even slightly yet they also hate CoD because its gameplay doesn't change. Which is it that they want? Evolving gameplay with complex ideas or static gameplay that doesn't grow with the games? It is puzzling and amusing at the same time.

If you are not a fan of the mechanics that is all well and good. You have that right and I have no problem with it. I am just hoping that people finally admit they want Halo to be like CoD where its gameplay doesn't change at all.

• Like 1

The reason people don't like the changes to Halo and compare it to Call of Duty is one simple reason:

Competitive vs Casual/Arcade

Halo 1 was an amazing competitive gaming title (and still is)

Call of Duty is an amazing arcade title, if that's what you enjoy.

Halo has deep roots in competitive gaming history and the more and more they try to compete with Call of Duty's sales, the more it will fail because it loses the competitive niche factor.

Also, sprinting itself is not the problem with Halo.  It's the other garbage they have packed into the last 2 titles.  Jet packs, thrusters, drones, "killstreaks" (basically)..

It all started with Halo 3 when they introduced the gravity hammer, bubble shield, power drain, etc.

Overshield and active camo was more than enough.

Want some truth? http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/38624-message-to-343-industries-from-angry-mobs-of-gamers/

MCC boosted sales because people wanted to play Halo games online that didn't have all of the bull**** that Reach introduced.

If I wanted to play Destiny, I would play Destiny. People want to play Halo. What made Halo fun was that all you had was the trinity. Shoot, grenade, melee. You were limited in options and skill shined more on players who perfected these things.

^This.

Another thing that ruins these great competitive titles?

Rewarding failure.

We don't need an achievement/trophy or a medal when we get a kill after we died 6 times in a row.

"Yay I get a reward for playing like crap!"

Call of Duty does it the most, but Halo is really starting to catch it.

Example:

MW2..

Running on top of a building, jump off, break ankles.

What happens?

LEVEL UP!  GUITAR SOLO!  MEDAL!  ACHIEVEMENT!  WEAPON UNLOCKS!  NEW BADGE!  NEW LOGO!  Blah blah blah.

Please, keep that preteen joy out of my competitive grown man title.

The reason people don't like the changes to Halo and compare it to Call of Duty is one simple reason:

Competitive vs Casual/Arcade

Halo 1 was an amazing competitive gaming title (and still is)

Call of Duty is an amazing arcade title, if that's what you enjoy.

Halo has deep roots in competitive gaming history and the more and more they try to compete with Call of Duty's sales, the more it will fail because it loses the competitive niche factor.

Also, sprinting itself is not the problem with Halo. It's the other garbage they have packed into the last 2 titles. Jet packs, thrusters, drones, "killstreaks" (basically)..

It all started with Halo 3 when they introduced the gravity hammer, bubble shield, power drain, etc.

Overshield and active camo was more than enough.

Want some truth? http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/38624-message-to-343-industries-from-angry-mobs-of-gamers/

^This.

Another thing that ruins these great competitive titles?

Rewarding failure.

We don't need an achievement/trophy or a medal when we get a kill after we died 6 times in a row.

"Yay I get a reward for playing like crap!"

Call of Duty does it the most, but Halo is really starting to catch it.

Example:

MW2..

Running on top of a building, jump off, break ankles.

What happens?

LEVEL UP! GUITAR SOLO! MEDAL! ACHIEVEMENT! WEAPON UNLOCKS! NEW BADGE! NEW LOGO! Blah blah blah.

Please, keep that preteen joy out of my competitive grown man title.

Keep that preteen joy out of a competitive grown man title?

Halo is a competitive title, an arena based shooter.

Cod is also a competitive title, but a fast paced arcade shooter.

But Halo is not a grown man game and cod not a preteensy one.

People of all ages play these games.

I played Halo in my teens and I still play them now, same counts for CoD. Even though I love Halo more than CoD.

Halo had to change, no doubt, otherwise people will start complaining about how it is all the same again, same as with cod.

Even Activision realised this (somewhat late) and handed development to another team. Advanced Warfare kept its core CoD gameplay, but added another layer of movement.

Pretty much how Halo kept it's core gameplay over the years with some additions to it. Some bad and some good.

The MCC changed nothing in the MP of for Halo 2 and instead added an anniversary version of Halo 2 or any other MP for that matter.

People complaining about MP in the MCC (besides it not working, I complain about that too.) Are blinded by nostalgia.

CoD is not a competitive title.

It is a casual, arcade shooter that a few pros actually picked up for lack of a better option.

Halo is no longer a competitive title.

It USED to be an arena style shooter that measured and rewarded skill.

Halo Reach and Halo 4 are more arcade than arena.  More casual than competitive.

I've been playing the series since Halo 2 and I love Sprint. Makes games a lot more fast paced and fluid. The maps were scaled to accommodate this. Makes for interesting games as well. Being able to increase your movement speed is something that has become a necessity in MM. The fact that base movement speed was increased in all MLG game types for Halo 3 makes it all but obvious. They want MM to be more competitive. Being one person you can't speak for all core Halo fans. I love sprint being added and hate any FPS game that doesn't have it.

• 4 weeks later...