Halo 4 lighting

superintendent

The armor colors and a lot of the lighting effects in Halo 4 were broken. They seems to look a lot better in the H2A footage released so far, as well as the updated Halo 4 footage for MCC. Looks like there is progress being made.

The whole color and lighting issue was something that was an issue for a lot of forgers and Machinima makers in Halo 4.

• Like 1

does the lighting in halo 4 irritate anyone else besides me?  Here is an example, for me the reflection is just too bright of of this spartans armour. should a spartan's armour really be this shiny? 

harvest_action_4.jpg

1: That Spartan is in broad daylight.

2: Those armor lights are awfully bright.

In the case of the armor being shiny: It's supposed to be that way. Not being able to see an enemy player who's not using Active Camo is kind of a bad con if you ask me.

It could also be that the armor color just pops, and is naturally bright. Again it's to make very sure who you're shooting at is an enemy.

+ You can change the brightness settings in Halo 4 from 1-5, and I bet the person who took this pic was at a 4 or 5.

Edited by Hell Verruckt

It's the emission settings on the illum shader for sure.  Can't tell if it's using dynamic per pixel lighting or not, but I would assume it is and they have the specular, emmisive power and lightmap diffuse settings tweaked way to high.  I get ta similar effect sometimes when lighting and playing H2PC levels I create.

As an afterthought though, it could also be the an environment map or the "shiny" lightmap setting being used when it doesn't need to be.  I'm guessing direct open areas with lots of light cause this effect, where as indoor areas probably do not cause such a shiny reflection.

• Like 1

It is a bit bright although, I would say it's shiny only in certain environments. For example your character is jumping in daylight which renders more light to be generated to the character. If you are playing in a shadowy area you should have no problem. Although the point I'm trying to get at is in normal circumstances the armour isn't bright or even shiny. The problem you are having may also result in the camera angle making as so it appears bright.

• 5 weeks later...

Ugh, I absolutely dislike Halo 4's lighting. What makes no sense is when you are in an enclosed dark space, it still acts as if there is still light shining on my weapon and hands.

But I bet it won't be as bad in the MCC than it is now.

• Like 1